Keith Kinkaid Appreciation Thread.

Neb00rs

59 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i will eat major crow here - earlier this year i felt he should have been out of the league. he proved me so so wrong and it's great to be back in the playoffs.

He was basically playing his way out of the league.  Whatever happened to him from early February on this is one of the most remarkable career-saving stretches I can ever remember, not to mention team saving.  They truly needed every last one of Keith's 16 wins in 20 games just to clinch before game #82.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i will eat major crow here - earlier this year i felt he should have been out of the league. he proved me so so wrong and it's great to be back in the playoffs.

I'm with you. I was convinced we were totally screwed once Schnieder got injured. For a while there, it looked like we were. But the last thing I expected was for KK to save the season when Schneider was healthy.

Thank you Keith for being so clutch!

• Like 1

Me too. I killed him. I was all over him. He’s given me some incredibly tasty crow to eat lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hall was the wire to wire MVP but at the end it was Kinkaid coming together with Hall to save this season. You could always see Kinkaid has tremendous athleticism in net. When he got some chances and won games he could look really good, confident, good glove hand, and made the big clutch saves. In other games he looked horrible and just couldn't pick up the puck from anywhere. Fighting it all night.

Finally he got a real opportunity with Schneider totally falling apart and handled the increased workload and pressure like a champ. He really has icewater in his veins. The clutch save Schneider never makes, Kinkaid does. And Kinkaid's certainly not perfect but he's also done a wonderful job getting us something even when he doesn't have his best games. When it as 3-1 in Pitt and he allowed two questionable goals to make it 3-3, he held off that onslaught through regulation and made sure to at least secure us a point. If we're up 6-1 sure he may give up a few to a bad Montreal team, so what who cares when last night he needed to keep Toronto to 1 because the Devils didn't have much puck. Well guess wheat he held Toronto to 1.

• Like 1

Hall was the wire to wire MVP but at the end it was Kinkaid coming together with Hall to save this season. You could always see Kinkaid has tremendous athleticism in net. When he got some chances and won games he could look really good, confident, good glove hand, and made the big clutch saves. In other games he looked horrible and just couldn't pick up the puck from anywhere. Fighting it all night.
Finally he got a real opportunity with Schneider totally falling apart and handled the increased workload and pressure like a champ. He really has icewater in his veins. The clutch save Schneider never makes, Kinkaid does. And Kinkaid's certainly not perfect but he's also done a wonderful job getting us something even when he doesn't have his best games. When it as 3-1 in Pitt and he allowed two questionable goals to make it 3-3, he held off that onslaught through regulation and made sure to at least secure us a point. If we're up 6-1 sure he may give up a few to a bad Montreal team, so what who cares when last night he needed to keep Toronto to 1 because the Devils didn't have much puck. Well guess wheat he held Toronto to 1.

The save on Nylander in the slot right after we tied it.... THAT was the save Schneider NEVER makes. It saved the game. If Cory is in last night, that puck goes in, the air comes right back out of the building, and we’re probably sitting here this morning lamenting how the motherfvcking a$$hole Panthers won’t go away. That save may have been the biggest save of Kinkaid’s career, and it was most certainly the biggest save of our season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The save on Nylander in the slot right after we tied it.... THAT was the save Schneider NEVER makes. It saved the game. If Cory is in last night, that puck goes in, the air comes right back out of the building, and we’re probably sitting here this morning lamenting how the motherfvcking a$$hole Panthers won’t go away. That save may have been the biggest save of Kinkaid’s career, and it was most certainly the biggest save of our season.

Exactly. Those are momentum preservers. I can't think of how many times I've seen the opposition celebrating on the ice while the public address guy is still announcing the Devils goal. 

And the players of this team know Schneider better than we do. There is a reason they seem to play different when he's in net as opposed to Brodeur or Kinkaid. It's something about him that doesn't exactly fill the players in front of him with great confidence.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2018 at 7:28 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It's just unfathomable that if KK is 'only' 12-6-1 during this stretch (which is still pretty darn good) the team's on the outside of the playoffs looking in, probably for good.

Of course if Cory was ONLY 3-6-2 instead of 0-9-2 this would have not only been long over now but the Devils would have a real shot at the division itself.

And look at the opponents Keith has stared down during this run. Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh where they hadn't lost in forever. Then he comes back to Pittsburgh and beats them again. He shuts out LA in LA. He beats Nashville in Nashville. We don't score for him vs. Tampa, but he holds them to 1 and we win. He wasn't just beating the Sabres and Habs

• Like 1

Any goalie can get hot, but the timing of this streak, the length of this streak, and the quality opponents we've faced in meaningful games makes it extra special. And we weren't exactly playing lockdown D in front of him. He wasn't turning aside soft no screen point shots but rather 2 on 1's that involved Crosby, breakaways, late game flurries. Nothing phased him

It's interesting that Schneider wears 35 to honor his childhood idol Mike Richter. The only guy who is actually playing like Richter circa 1994 is Kinkaid. They are actually a bit similar. Top notch athleticism, quick glove hand. 

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, sundstrom said:

I said on this board that I never want to see him play a game for this team again.

I am glad he played a game for this team again.

also glad I only said sh!t like that here in this kinda corner of the Devils internet world - never understood why people had to be a$$holes to him on twitter. people forget about the human element of attacking these guys. 

Anyway, what an incredible run. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, redruM said:

OK so KK has been way better than I expected, I might have been wrong about him, but lets not get crazy about his puck handling skills, they are mediocre at best

They're okay, but there sure as hell a whole lot better than Cory's. KK is way more confident with the puck.

20 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

They're okay, but there sure as hell a whole lot better than Cory's. KK is way more confident with the puck.

He may be confident but he's not good... and the goal should not be to be better than Corey, it should be to be as good as Marty ;)

Edited by redruM