Behind the Glass- Devils Training Camp: NHL Network

Nicomo

On 10/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, mfitz804 said:

I bet Tavares said a ton of great stuff about the Islanders while he was there too. He said all of the following in an interview January this year. 

“I hope to stay in Long Island”

“There’s a lot of positive things going forward with the organization and the team here. I haven’t thought about being anywhere else but with the Islanders.”

And in April, about Barzal:

“There’s a lot of excitement in our group for him. Especially a guy with his talent and his drive to be successful, I’m excited to finish the season with him and looking forward to the future.”

And in July: "Fvck the Islanders". Ok I made that part up. 

None of it means anything until pen is put to paper. 

This. I have no doubt Ray will do everything to get Hall signed to an extension as soon as he can next summer. And part of me truly believes that Hall likes it in NJ and the he feels 100x appreciated and 100x trusted by the staff and the fans here than in Edmonton and I believe he sees the good direction the team is going in. All those things lead me to believe he'll stay, but at the end of the day, nothing is official until he signs and there are no guarantees. 

Bern looks really beautiful. Yet another place I want to visit some day. 

Nice to see a little glimpse of Greene being the captain. Seems like a good leader. Hall’s time will come. 

Think my favorite part of these are the guys off the ice tbh. Just watching Coleman and Zacha walk around the city was interesting to me. I like getting a sense of their personalities. Speaking of which, KK is such a goofball lol

• Like 3

Oh man Quenneville is such a (likable) cheeseball haha.. He's definitely the little kid in the group despite being older than a few of the guys. He's got that Western Canadian accent and excitement, he's a real pep on the bench. I know he's trying to motivate the team, but it just ended up cracking me up lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Oh man Quenneville is such a (likable) cheeseball haha.. He's definitely the little kid in the group despite being older than a few of the guys. He's got that Western Canadian accent and excitement, he's a real pep on the bench. I know he's trying to motivate the team, but it just ended up cracking me up lol

The only thing is, if you are going to be that way, you have to perform. If you act like that and sh!t the bed, you stop being lovable and start being a d!ckhead. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The only thing is, if you are going to be that way, you have to perform. If you act like that and sh!t the bed, you stop being lovable and start being a d!ckhead. 

indeed it's a very very thin line here. Players like that can also rub players the wrong way if they take tooooo much place and become annoying. It's all about perception. Often you just gotta think about your workspace and imagine some young kid coming in, acting like they own the place and being very vocal. Then think about each of your co-worker would take that. Some would love it, some would want to kill that kid lol

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

indeed it's a very very thin line here. Players like that can also rub players the wrong way if they take tooooo much place and become annoying. It's all about perception. Often you just gotta think about your workspace and imagine some young kid coming in, acting like they own the place and being very vocal. Then think about each of your co-worker would take that. Some would love it, some would want to kill that kid lol

But nobody would care about how he acted if your kid also came in and solved all of the issues you and your co-workers had been trying but failing to solve. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

But nobody would care about how he acted if your kid also came in and solved all of the issues you and your co-workers had been trying but failing to solve. 

Well I feel even that is debatable. Not saying it's a good thing or that they'd be right but again, everyone is different and coming from different angle, you gotta think there are veterans in there who will be pushed aside and lose their job because of younger guys coming in and taking their spot. So some may be more bitter or reluctant to like a kid coming in and acting like he owns the place. 

56 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well I feel even that is debatable. Not saying it's a good thing or that they'd be right but again, everyone is different and coming from different angle, you gotta think there are veterans in there who will be pushed aside and lose their job because of younger guys coming in and taking their spot. So some may be more bitter or reluctant to like a kid coming in and acting like he owns the place. 

Maybe. But let's be honest, if he came in and scored 25 goals and had 30 assists, even those who are annoyed by him would tolerate him better than if he comes in, has zero goals, a couple assists after like 25 games and winds up a healthy scratch. 

On 10/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, mfitz804 said:

Just finished watching all four episodes for the first time and really enjoy it.  The behind the scenes stuff is always great, the roster moves painful to watch,  although I didn't mind Gabriel getting shown the door.  I think they went out of their way to blow smoke up his ass rather than telling him you're a tool with no skills whatsoever now show yourself out.  A very likable group for me with the exception of Q, I think he's going  to prove he is that guy that's all talk with limited production.  They certainly made a point to feature him an awful lot. 

26 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Just finished watching all four episodes for the first time and really enjoy it.  The behind the scenes stuff is always great, the roster moves painful to watch,  although I didn't mind Gabriel getting shown the door.  I think they went out of their way to blow smoke up his ass rather than telling him you're a tool with no skills whatsoever now show yourself out.  A very likable group for me with the exception of Q, I think he's going  to prove he is that guy that's all talk with limited production.  They certainly made a point to feature him an awful lot. 

I feel people are taking this way too seriously imo. Quenneville is just trying to be a good supportive teammate that has a light and fun attitude with the guys around the room. I don't see how being a fun character around the guys and setting a nice mood in the room has anything to do with him needing to produce at a higher level or anything. He's clearly excited to be with this group, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's his first real try at the show after all.

Obviously there is the possibility that he gets annoying to some teammates down the road (even though I doubt it), but that's another subject. 

On 10/15/2018 at 8:26 PM, titans04 said:

I noticed that too with Gabriel.  They kept telling him don't give up, but you can tell he looked like he got hit with a sledgehammer.  I could be wrong as nothing was really spoken from him so interpretation is always in your eyes, but he certainly looked upset at missing the big time.

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I noticed that too with Gabriel.  They kept telling him don't give up, but you can tell he looked like he got hit with a sledgehammer.  I could be wrong as nothing was really spoken from him so interpretation is always in your eyes, but he certainly looked upset at missing the big time.

That part with Gabriel being cut almost reminded me of how women just have that gender-ingrained way of meaning the opposite of what they're actually saying, yet you know EXACTLY what they're REALLY "saying":

FINE (You know damned well it's anything BUT fine)

I'm not mad, whatever (I'm plenty pissed and you better do something to un-piss me off ASAP)

You can go, I don't care (You'd better not fvcking go and I care PLENTY, from a purely furious standpoint)

Gabriel acted like a complete tool during the Islander game, and I think his antics annoyed just about everyone on the Devils that night...much as they kept saying "Nope, this has nothing to do with the Islander game [even though you acted like a complete fvcking tool every chance you got]"...of course it wasn't the only reason he got cut, but yeah, like titans04 said, sounded like were trying to pump him just enough to keep him from going to Bingo and sulking too much/acting like even more of an ass. 

And since I missed some obvious sh!t in your post, Gabriel's problem is that his crap had the Devils quite steamed.  He just kept playing his game without frontiers, and it continually got him in trouble. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

What foresight by NHL Network and the Devils organization to put this miniseries together. Our preseason results weren't looking so great, it could've gone entirely different. Imagine us losing 3-4 of the first 4 games this season, and how different a stain that'd put on these episodes and our ability to enjoy them. The obvious talking point would be that it was a distraction.

But the results have gone our way, and it's made for a really awesome few weeks for Devils fans to be able to enjoy this show on top of our usual pre/early season excitement, we're a lucky bunch right now.