GDT: Devil's @ Sens 7:30, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's for sure more interesting. KK just hasn't played enough games for a proper comparison, but the difference between Schneider & Brodeur is pretty crazy in almost an even number of games. 

That's really interesting.  Could some of that be attributed to Brodeur's ability to play the puck as almost a 3rd defensemen, leading to better and more consistent zone exits than when Cory's in net?   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That's really interesting.  Could some of that be attributed to Brodeur's ability to play the puck as almost a 3rd defensemen, leading to better and more consistent zone exits than when Cory's in net?   

I literally thought the exact same thing.  I don't know how much it may have helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. 

16 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Almost none of it.  We see no similar change between Brodeur's backups over his career.

8 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

Anyone know why Yak is in the pressbox? Why wont they give him a chance, we let in 23 goals in last 5 games.

Who are they gonna sit in favor of him?  I wouldn't sit Butcher, Severson, Vats, or Mueller, and there's almost no chance the organization is gonna sit Greene or Lovejoy.  

22 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I think it definitely helps. I like Cory a lot but watching him play the puck is painful and also an almost guarantee that he will shoot it along the boards only for the opposing team to pick it off. With Brodeur at least the Devils would have possession after he played it more times than not.

Edited by Bonginator11

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Who are they gonna sit in favor of him?  I wouldn't sit Butcher, Severson, Vats, or Mueller, and there's almost no chance the organization is gonna sit Greene or Lovejoy.  

I was hoping Lovejoy we need speed on the back end. Vats and Sevs and Mueller are only guys who can skate.  We kinda miss Moores wheels

3 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Without dramatic changes, does this look like a team ready to make it past the first round of the playoffs? 

Hall has said 482936 times that the number one thing important to him is winning. If the Devils don’t start winning, and give more than a halfhearted whimper in the playoffs, Taylor Hall will be the next John Tavares. 

I’m not fretting. I’m fvcking panicking. 

Hall won't be the next Parise or Tavares cause Shero is smarter than Snow and Lamoriello when it comes to dealing with these things and has a perfect track record to back him up.

Worst comes to worst he'll be the next Ray Bourque, Kovalchuk, Karlsson, Jordan Staal or whoever was traded for their team before it was too late.

• Like 1

Last year we were a fringe team at best and all the dominos just fell the right way.

This year we are still a fringe team and so far most of the dominos have fallen the wrong way.

That's basically these past 1 and change seasons in a nutshell to me.  If I am alone in that feeling I will shut up about it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Saying what? That the board tends to overreact after every loss? Everyone gets frustrated, and I’m certainly no exception (hence my wanting to ‘maim’, as you put it, the other team when we’re losing), but fretting about Hall leaving in two years because of a sh!tty stretch of games in November 2018 is a liiiiiitle bit of an overreaction. 

If we are ranking kingdoms, the king of being mad when my favorite team plays like sh!t is better than being "the king of saying stupid sh!t because knee jerk reactions" anyway. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Last year we were a fringe team at best and all the dominos just fell the right way.

This year we are still a fringe team and so far most of the dominos have fallen the wrong way.

That's basically these past 1 and change seasons in a nutshell to me.  If I am alone in that feeling I will shut up about it.

It's funny how we remember things. We made the playoffs by the skin of our fvcking teeth last year, there's no better way to define us than a "fringe team". 

I would remind the room also, 2 weeks ago there were posts asking if we were the best team in the East. No, no we are not. 

If you take a fringe team and make no significant changes to personnel, other than to insert more rookies into the lineup, guess what? You still have a fringe team, but a less experienced one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's funny how we remember things. We made the playoffs by the skin of our fvcking teeth last year, there's no better way to define us than a "fringe team". 

I would remind the room also, 2 weeks ago there were posts asking if we were the best team in the East. No, no we are not. 

If you take a fringe team and make no significant changes to personnel, other than to insert more rookies into the lineup, guess what? You still have a fringe team, but a less experienced one. 

Shero placed his bets on Hall being just as dynamic as last year, Nico growing, Zacha finally improving, Johansson being healthy and making a difference, our goaltending situation being stabilized, and our prospects finally proving to be NHL regulars.  From that list, I would say 1.5 out of the 6 hit the target.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Shero placed his bets on Hall being just as dynamic as last year, Nico growing, Zacha finally improving, Johansson being healthy and making a difference, our goaltending situation being stabilized, and our prospects finally proving to be NHL regulars.  From that list, I would say 1.5 out of the 6 hit the target.

If 1 is Nico, and .5 is Johansson being healthy but not contributing, then yes. 

I do notice that your list doesn't include betting that our defense won't be a dumpster fire most nights. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If 1 is Nico, and .5 is Johansson being healthy but not contributing, then yes. 

I do notice that your list doesn't include betting that our defense won't be a dumpster fire most nights. 

Yup, that was the 1.5 lol.

Last year the D was pretty bad too but they did well despite it.

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Last year the D was pretty bad too but they did well despite it.

Right. But the key is to realize that and try to avoid it the following season. Removing John Moore and inserting Mirco Mueller was clearly not the answer. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right. But the key is to realize that and try to avoid it the following season. Removing John Moore and inserting Mirco Mueller was clearly not the answer. 

Frankly I think at worst it was a lateral move there.  Severson has been playing much better since he is no longer paired with Moore and Mueller has done OK.

The D issue is still more on Greene who is old and just about finished, Butcher who if he is not QBing the PP isn't doing much and is a dumpster fire in his own end and Lovejoy being Killjoy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, titans04 said:

They did exsctly this in the off season. So there's that.

Not signing a big name doesn't mean they weren't working on improving the team. The right deal has to be there and they were justified in counting on the youth in taking the next step.

Here's a quick summary..

1. Goaltending is garbage. Kinkaid is a solid backup, Schneider is done and has zero confidence. 

2. Zacha absolutely stinks for where we selected him. Let him toil in the AHL until he figures his game out. Unfortunately he's probably better off as trade bait. 

3. The defense is a joke with no physical presence. Greene needs to retire but he wont because the money is too good. 

4. Hall is great but will likely take off if Shero doesnt put together a winning team around him. And if he does, the team is seriously screwed. 

5. Ty Smith cant get here soon enough. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Frankly I think at worst it was a lateral move there.  Severson has been playing much better since he is no longer paired with Moore and Mueller has done OK.

The D issue is still more on Greene who is old and just about finished, Butcher who if he is not QBing the PP isn't doing much and is a dumpster fire in his own end and Lovejoy being Killjoy.

I agree, but knowing how awful they were last year, making a lateral move is, for all intents and purposes, the same as doing nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Not signing a big name doesn't mean they weren't working on improving the team. The right deal has to be there and they were justified in counting on the youth in taking the next step.

I didn't say they needed to sign a big name, they sat tight and it's starting to look like it may have been a mistake. Yet now in season it's going to be easier to upgrade the roster?

Hopefully.

Edited by titans04