GDT: The Devils of New Jersey Vs. The Knights of Las Vegas 7PM MSG+

SeanMac16

Just got done watching the game on the DVR and...wow. What a finish! Think the Nico OT goal is probably my favorite call Cangi has ever made. sh!t gave me goosebumps. So proud of this team for overcoming yet another brutal start by clownskates, and being without Hall. Great to see Wood look like himself again, and I loved fiery Palms tonight. Now if only they could play like this away from the Rock...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, slasher72 said:

He can use this as a template. Lol

Screenshot_20181214-224519_Samsung Internet.jpg

This one would work too (who am I kidding, just about any Erika pic would do):

Image result for erika wachter

Pretty sure if I ever ran into her on the street and I was wearing a Devils jersey, the conversation would go something like this:

Her:  "Hey...nice jersey!  Admittedly it's been an up-and-down season so far for the Devils...would be nice to see them start getting on some kind of a run, and for players like Cory Schneider and Miles Wood to turn their seasons around.  Hopefully they can tighten up on defense too, but I think there's a chance they can still find a way to play well enough to try to make the playoffs.  What do you think?"

Me:  (after a solid 10 seconds pass, in the most Butthead-like voice possible)  "Uhhhhhhhh...I love you"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was wondering who had the brass ones to ask that....  you could tell Hynes was annoyed with the question, even though it’s a legit fvcking question. This guy probably won’t be covering too many more Devils games I’d imagine.

Heh heh, my first thought was "Damn, who here on njdevs.com was able to fake press credentials to sneak into Hynes' postgame conference?!"

I don't expect Hynes to answer a question like that with either full disclosure or honesty (he and Shero would obviously have to discuss such a nuclear move with Cory before making it public), but at the same time, his answer was really the only thing that aggravated me last night (outside of falling behind 3-0 of course).  His answer was the very definition of insanity...sorry, you can't keep Top Gunning Cory in pure "Send him back out there!" fashion, and praying for a different result. 

I also think it'd be nice (and possibly very helpful) if when KK's the backup, he can actually approach some of those games as a legit day off, mentally and physically.  I get that the backup's always to supposed to be ready to jump into any given game at a moment's notice, but there are clearly games where it's supposed to be "Put the cap on, have a seat, just relax, you'll be out there next game." for backups.  At this point, KK's gotta be thinking that there's always at least a 50-50 chance that any game that Cory starts, that KK will likely take over before the half-way mark of the game, with his team trailing by at least three goals.  That could wear on a guy in time.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

well now that they took that shell of Cory Schneider out of the net they probably feel like they have something worth trying for.. imagine how the players must feel playing in front of him.. probably feel like they are just wasting their time out there

This is quite frankly why I was rooting for them NOT to comeback until they actually tied the game.  It's like you fvckfaces can't even be bothered to compete after the first goal went in but now you want to play after sad sack Cory gets pulled?  Don't waste my time with another too little, too late effort.  But they finally showed some balls for the first time all season.

12 hours ago, '7' said:

It's no use piling on Cory when he looks that helpless. I really hate to say this but he's the Mark Sanchez of goalies now. Difference is he was actually once good. Very good. So to see this kind of a drop in play is quite stunning. If he's not still injured in some way then I don't see how he continues on in the NHL much longer. There is no way

This is worse than Sanchez...this is Rick Ankiel type bad now.  That's the only comparable I can come up with, a guy that just lost it overnight and went from decent (though slightly overrated) to utterly hopeless.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Great win, love the effort... but I'm not jumping on the season changing bandwagon.. they need to string together some solid scoring games with good quality goaltending... the schedule eases up after the Leafs on thru to  march... There's room. Put after the preds and Leafs we need to string wins togther

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, my first thought was "Damn, who here on njdevs.com was able to fake press credentials to sneak into Hynes' postgame conference?!"

I don't expect Hynes to answer a question like that with either full disclosure or honesty (he and Shero would obviously have to discuss such a nuclear move with Cory before making it public), but at the same time, his answer was really the only thing that aggravated me last night (outside of falling behind 3-0 of course).  His answer was the very definition of insanity...sorry, you can't keep Top Gunning Cory in pure "Send him back out there!" fashion, and praying for a different result. 

I also think it'd be nice (and possibly very helpful) if when KK's the backup, he can actually approach some of those games as a legit day off, mentally and physically.  I get that the backup's always to supposed to be ready to jump into any given game at a moment's notice, but there are clearly games where it's supposed to be "Put the cap on, have a seat, just relax, you'll be out there next game." for backups.  At this point, KK's gotta be thinking that there's always at least a 50-50 chance that any game that Cory starts, that KK will likely take over before the half-way mark of the game, with his team trailing by at least three goals.  That could wear on a guy in time.

is it just me or that's a new thing for you?

I don't remember you laughing that way before but i noticed it quite a bit during the last week haha

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

“It’s only been a few games”

looks at calendar... 

“goddamn it, Cory!”

The problem the Devils have with Schneider is that while he's awful, they don't really have internal options - Blackwood's played well so far this season but he was unplayable in the AHL last season and Lack is hurt.  It's hard to get a goalie this time of year.  Teams really aren't into trading their third goalie.  I'd consider offering Steve Mason a PTO, he can split time with Blackwood in Binghamton.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The problem the Devils have with Schneider is that while he's awful, they don't really have internal options - Blackwood's played well so far this season but he was unplayable in the AHL last season and Lack is hurt.  It's hard to get a goalie this time of year.  Teams really aren't into trading their third goalie.  I'd consider offering Steve Mason a PTO, he can split time with Blackwood in Binghamton.

It really is just an terrible situation Ray finds himself in. Even if you find someone to bring in and send Cory to Bing, you’re taking away much needed playing time from Blackwood. 

Just re-watched the OT goal. Nico really has to stay with that puck and force himself past the defenseman and the goalie in order to put that puck in. I don’t think last year’s Nico finishes that play. I think it’s further evidence of his development. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

It really is just an terrible situation Ray finds himself in. Even if you find someone to bring in and send Cory to Bing, you’re taking away much needed playing time from Blackwood. 

Unless you’re sending him there to mentor, not to play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

It's not as bad as you would think - AHL scheduling and the way goalies get used today means that you don't really have a starter and backup, it's more like 1A and 1B.  Most AHL games are back to back.