Devils Re-Sign Center Pavel Zacha - 3 years @ $2.25m AAV

Crisis

Here's the official announcement

" The contract runs through the 2021-22 season and carries an average annual value (AAV) of $2,250,000 ($6.75 million total). The breakdown is as follows: 2019-20, $1,750,000; 2020-21, $2,000,000; 2021-22, $3,000,000. He will be a restricted free agent following the 2021-22 season."

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/release-devils-re-sign-center-pavel-zacha/c-309018086

1 minute ago, Devils01 said:

Too much.... Should've traded him with some picks and send him off. He had way too many opportunities and he hasn't delivered.  Not happy about the signing.

Traded Zacha for what?  He was a RFA.  What's funny is some fans bitch all day about a guy, but think if you package him with other stuff you won't miss much, you can get something good.  Other GMs are plenty aware of Zacha's iffy NHL track record to date too.  What exactly do you think you're getting for a young unsigned RFA like Zacha in a trade?  It makes more sense to keep him. 

I think it's 50/50 that he's still here by the end of this deal.  I think there's absolutely a chance that he eventually gets dealt as part of a package for a high-profile guy down the line (provided the Devils have the cap space), but for that to happen, he'd have to be much more consistent than he's been so far...basically, he has to get better.  The team that would acquire him would have to be convinced that he's a legit future piece who's only going to get better once they have him.  I'm sure if Zacha was ever dealt for a rental, that Shero would like to know he has someone in the system who can step into Zacha's expected role as well.  And Zacha's contract makes him plenty affordable in the short term of course, for a team willing to take a chance on him. 

But for the immediate future, I'm fine with this, and I want to see what kind of start that he gets off to in 2019.  It's a bit of a "show me" deal, with some minor risk, but at that hit, Zacha's not crippling flexibility to make future moves in any way. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Traded Zacha for what?  He was a RFA.  What's funny is some fans bitch all day about a guy, but think if you package him with other stuff you won't miss much, you can get something good.  Other GMs are plenty aware of Zacha's iffy NHL track record to date too.  What exactly do you think you're getting for a young unsigned RFA like Zacha in a trade?  It makes more sense to keep him. 

I think it's 50/50 that he's still here by the end of this deal.  I think there's absolutely a chance that he eventually gets dealt as part of a package for a high-profile guy down the line (provided the Devils have the cap space), but for that to happen, he'd have to be much more consistent than he's been so far...basically, he has to get better.  The team that would acquire him would have to be convinced that he's a legit future piece who's only going to get better once they have him.  I'm sure if Zacha was ever dealt for a rental, that Shero would like to know he has someone in the system who can step into Zacha's expected role as well.  And Zacha's contract makes him plenty affordable in the short term of course, for a team willing to take a chance on him. 

But for the immediate future, I'm fine with this, and I want to see what kind of start that he gets off to in 2019.  It's a bit of a "show me" deal, with some minor risk, but at that hit, Zacha's not crippling flexibility to make future moves in any way. 

He won’t do much on that 4th line I can tell you that.

Going to make a bold prediction here - he won't finish this contract with the Devils.  One way or another.

26 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

There goes our chances at Laine.

...I mean if anything this cements his value in such a trade.  Now WPG wouldn't have to negotiate an extension with him.

That said, that rumor still didn't make much sense.

9 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

He won’t do much on that 4th line I can tell you that.

So basically you can't come up with an answer for what Zacha could've been traded for given his status, so now it's Deflection Time.  That's what sucks about just throwing your hands up and saying things like "Shero shoulda" with nothing of substance to back it up.

Zacha should have a more defined role this season than in years past...like it's been noted, he's not going to be asked to handle being a Top-6 guy (until some guys get hurt, anyway).  Why not see how he handles Bottom-6 duty before just deciding he can't do much on the 4th line?  Shero obviously sees something there, given the three-year deal...and though I don't think Shero is that much of a Zacha fan, he sees enough there that he's willing to take this shot with him. 

• Like 2

And there is a camp to do... And really good players this year. People seems to put some rookie on the top 6 really quick. They will have to show they deserve this ice-time (including a really young and not strong yet Hugues). 
IF (yeah i know... so much if with him) it's the Pavel that play the end of the season that show up and camp & starting of the season, he will get more than 4 line duties, that's for sure ! 

And in my eyes (and not only mine) He is the new Zajac. And no surprise for everyone that follow the +1/-1 game, I love this kind of players.
In the best word, I can see next year team having a strong first line and 3 almosts equal lines (with maybe the second one being slighty more gifted offensively and the third/fourth being more "Penalty Killerz Crew" ) 

Pavel will kicks some serious asses ! 

• Like 1

Just now, moustic said:

And there is a camp to do... And really good players this year. People seems to put some rookie on the top 6 really quick. They will have to show they deserve this ice-time (including a really young and not strong yet Hugues). 
IF (yeah i know... so much if with him) it's the Pavel that play the end of the season that show up and camp & starting of the season, he will get more than 4 line duties, that's for sure ! 

And in my eyes (and not only mine) He is the new Zajac. And no surprise for everyone that follow the +1/-1 game, I love this kind of players.
In the best word, I can see next year team having a strong first line and 3 almosts equal lines (with maybe the second one being slighty more gifted offensively and the third/fourth being more "Penalty Killerz Crew" ) 

Pavel will kicks some serious asses ! 

re:  the bolded, in an ideal world I think that's exactly what the Devils will now fully try to groom Zacha into being, possibly for several years.   

BUT, I have this funny feeling in 2020-21, if the Devils look like they're ready to contend for a Cup that season (obviously at lot would have to happen to get to that point)...I could see a deadline deal involving Wood, Zacha, and something else for an established vet.  Shero's built up a nice base of younger players...as we know, once the contending window appears to be open, it's easy to start dealing from that youth pool for guys who you can almost guarantee are going to make you better immediately. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rob_Ottawa said:

That is a fantastic contract in a time when scabs like Kevin fvcking Hayes can get seven million. Great job Ray, on a continued amazing offseason. 

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison...a RFA like Zacha was only going to get so much...he just didn't have that much leverage...if anything, I'd argue he did pretty well for himself under the circumstances, especially in getting three years.  But yeah, I'd MUCH rather this route than an absurd UFA payment.  And yeah, think it's pretty fair for both sides. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  the bolded, in an ideal world I think that's exactly what the Devils will now fully try to groom Zacha into being, possibly for several years.   

BUT, I have this funny feeling in 2020-21, if the Devils look like they're ready to contend for a Cup that season (obviously at lot would have to happen to get to that point)...I could see a deadline deal involving Wood, Zacha, and something else for an established vet.  Shero's built up a nice base of younger players...as we know, once the contending window appears to be open, it's easy to start dealing from that youth pool for guys who you can almost guarantee are going to make you better immediately. 

I agree, I think it is more likely than not that he gets dealt to another team during the life of this contract. He's young and brings enough to the table that teams would be interested in him  and he'll be a trading chip as we start to contend.

Was expecting shorter term and a bit more of a show me contract but the KHL probably gave him a bit more leverage

Pav gets way more sh!t than he deserves. Sure, he isn't Mathew Barzal (who was also who I wanted the Devils draft at 6th, for the record), but he's not a worthless bum and people should just let him do well in his role now that we have more top end talent to play above him. He's an excellent player to have on your 4th line and good insurance to have in your depth when the inevitable injuries happen. He's a capable 5v5 forward and I would make the argument that he's our best penalty killer, which carries a lot of value for a team filled with smaller skill guys up top that we're not going to use on the PK. I know it stings having used 6th overall on him, but just let him be who he is and not expect him to be Barzal or Rantanen.

image.png.dce10d336d92a4e0a09ca1fb3bf93619.pngimage.png.a832a4a685c32fa1f0535e226f971366.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't see anything to complain about, we have plenty of cap space and even more coming off in the next few years. 

Plus it keeps my Zacha player t shirt reveleant for a while longer lol

And if he sucks this season we can always leave him open for the Seattle expansion draft. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

I mean, yeah, Zacha probably doesn't finish out this contract with the Devils, but that's in part because players get traded all the time.  

Looking at the 2010 draft, only 7 players are still with the team that drafted them, but I would count 21 of them as locks to make an NHL roster this coming season.

2011 has been more stable - 8 players are still with their drafting team and only 20 of them are locks to make an NHL roster.

2012:  12 picks still with their drafting team, 19 NHL locks.

You can basically see the trend - if you're not a star or even if you are, it's pretty easy for another team to value a former 1st round pick higher and want to make a deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I don't see anything to complain about, we have plenty of cap space and even more coming off in the next few years. 

Plus it keeps my Zacha player t shirt reveleant for a while longer lol

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I bought Zacha's McMullen Night GW in July (I already have an Auvitu McMullen Night GI, but I wanted someone who was a little more relevant), more as a pure leap-of-faith than anything else...it would have been infuriating had he bolted to the K (that, and the fact that a former 6th-overall would more or less be done here).  I did figure Zacha was going to get re-signed one way or another (not like RFAs have tons of leverage), but the last thing I was expecting was for the KHL to somehow get involved in this.    

• Like 1