Nico Hischier to sign 7 year extension, 7.25 AAV

Triumph

48 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Doesn't sound like he's that committed. If he was why not sign the 8th year?

It's not in his interest to take the 8th year. He will already be 28 on June 30th of 2027 - his contract expiry year - meaning, per current CBA rules, that he already loses one year of UFA with this contract - a plus for the Devils. No doubt his next contract will be bigger - and as most young players want to, he wants to sign that next contract when he's 27 or 28. This is a Devils-friendly deal on the back end and also gets Nico paid young. Win-win.

Edit: Correction - he loses three seasons of UFA with this as he started playing at 18.

Edited by Neb00rs

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

That "never have to worry about money again for the rest of my life" smile.

Always wondered how those guys feel after signing a contract like that. Laying in bed at night looking at the ceiling thinking ''Jesus Christ, I'll earn 7mil a year for 7 years. Holy sh!t''.

• Like 1

Just now, Neb00rs said:

It's not in his interest to take the 8th year. He will already be 28 on June 30th of 2027 - his contract expiry year - meaning, per current CBA rules, that he already loses one year of UFA with this contract - a plus for the Devils. No doubt his next contract will be bigger - and as most young players want to, he wants to sign that next contract when he's 27 or 28. This is a Devils-friendly deal on the back end and also gets Nico paid young. Win-win.

I was kidding! Love the kid and am very happy with the contract.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No, I never said that Nico pushed for this. I don't sense any kind of animosity from him at all. My point is that GMs feel the need to throw out buckets of cash to 50 point players early now to avoid RFA headaches later.

Or maybe Shero believes in Nico that much that he thinks this kind of a deal makes sense?  And Nico's happy enough here that he doesn't mind committing here for 7 more years? 

Shero wasn't getting Nico on some 3 or 4 year deal at $5 million per.  It is what it is.   

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

You don't think 7 years is a good commitment?

See above...he was kidding...although I'll admit it, when I read his initial "kidding" post I too was thinking "Huh what?"

• Like 1

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/release-hischier-signs-seven-year-deal/c-310241124

The New Jersey Devils signed center Nico Hischier to a seven-year contract extension with an average annual value of $7,250,000 (total value $50,750,000). Hischier would have been a restricted free agent at the end of the 2019-20 season. The contract will start in 2020-21 and the breakdown is as follows:

2020-21: $7,000,000 

2021-22: $7,250,000 

2022-23: $4,500,000

2023-24: $7,750,000

2024-25: $7,750,000

2025-26: $8,000,000

2026-27: $8,500,000

Edited by Satans Hockey

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or maybe Shero believes in Nico that much that he thinks this kind of a deal makes sense?  And Nico's happy enough here that he doesn't mind committing here for 7 more years? 

Shero wasn't getting Nico on some 3 or 4 year deal at $5 million per.  It is what it is.   

The first sentence hits the nail on the head imo. As for the second, being that Nico signed for 7 years (and not 5 or 6) and that my sense is that it got done with little trouble - it's hard to believe that 3 or 4 years was part of the negotiations.

If Nico started this season as PPG player - everyone would start talk about 8-9. But this team svcked specially for make nico`s deal little bit cheaper. Now we gonna win all games in the season. Big 'shero`s and hynes`s' plan. Plan "Shynes".

Without jokes i think it`s a good deal for us and we will laugh on it after seattle will join this league.

• Haha 1

This is a good deal. This is what you have to pay your franchise players if you want to keep them. 

give him another 2-3 years he will be a monster and probably one of the top players in the league.

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 1

Being that Nico has played two 40 games + seasons already, I corrected myself above to point out that the contract buys 3 UFA seasons.

The Devils will have Hughes and Hischier until at least 2027. If the Devils can't turn this season around - I hope that security can still convince Hall it's worth sticking around. It'd be nice if the goaltending situation was more secure, but Hall now knows that for at least 7 of 8 years of his contract, Hischier and Hughes will be here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The first sentence hits the nail on the head imo. As for the second, being that Nico signed for 7 years (and not 5 or 6) and that my sense is that it got done with little trouble - it's hard to believe that 3 or 4 years was part of the negotiations.

I wasn’t trying to imply that a bridge deal was ever a part of this...I get the impression Rob was hoping for something like that though.

Apparently neither side was interested in that...both wanted a long-term deal.  Seems like it couldn’t have gone smoother.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wasn’t trying to imply that a bridge deal was ever a part of this...I get the impression Rob was hoping for something like that though.

Apparently neither side was interested in that...both wanted a long-term deal.  Seems like it couldn’t have gone smoother.

You're right you weren't. I should have taken the 5M AAV as you basically saying, "Nico wasn't signing a stupid deal." I misinterpreted your comment because it doesn't make sense that Ray would want Nico on a 3/4 year deal anyway.

• Like 1

This is great. I'm surprised that the board isn't unanimously thrilled by this deal. This is our first line center! And he can play in any situation. He's great in overtime, and he's definitely someone you'd be willing to put out there in the last minutes of regulation to protect a 1 goal lead. Really the only "weakness" I've been able to identify in his game is his faceoff percentage, which is looking pretty good this year already. This deal will look great for the Devils in a year or two. Great work, Ray!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I wonder how it feels to know he and Jack will probably be the only two still with the organization when this expires.

I could see Bratt and Zacha still being on the team. Hopefully Blackwood is our bonafide #1 at that point, too. 

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I wonder how it feels to know he and Jack will probably be the only two still with the organization when this expires.

Hall could possibly be there, decent chance Zacha will be, perhaps Boqvist.  And it’s plausible PK plays til he’s 37 and 38 and decides to play here.  And of course Miles Wood.  He’ll be here forever.