Nas & Recchi Fired

mfitz804

Hallelujah.  I kinda figured Ruff would get to stay - this was only his what, second year?  This year coming up will be the tell-all, especially if he gets to pick his own assistants.  Playoffs or bust next year.  Anything less would be a failure and he will be (should be) the next one gone. 

• Like 1

I'm not opposed to Ruff getting a shot with his own staff. This is basically the second best scenario to firing all of them and getting one of the big names on the market. Maybe those names are not interested or maybe management thinks Ruff deserves a shot with full control.... Either way if December looks like doom and gloom they better cut off the limb before it's too late.

First reaction:  this is obviously great news.  Those two could NOT be allowed to come back, under any circumstances, no fvcking way.

That being said, if you're with @DevsMan84, in that you're concerned about ownership being willing to go as far as they should with regards to spending where it's warranted...it's valid in this case.  nASS' contract was apparently expiring, so letting him go didn't cost the Devils anything.  Recchi couldn't have been signed for anything crazy, so even though that one cost the Devils some coin, it wasn't much.  Was that the reason that both were kept as long as they were, even when it was insanely apparent that they deserved to be let go during the season?  To save some pennies?

Who can say what happens with Lindy, but I'm pretty sure he's a lame duck, with only next season left on his contract. 

The guess here:  Lindy is retained but not extended...he'll be told that a potential extension will be revisited down the line, depending on how the Devils perform to start 2022-23 (who else is hiring him anyway?).  Dineen will be forced on him as an assistant...if the Devils stumble out of the gate or start to swoon once again in Nov-Dec, Lindy will be canned, and Dineen will get the interim tag...if the Devils turn it around under him, he'll get a contract and will be come the Devils' HC for 2023-24 and beyond.  For lack of better words, the Devils are starting next season with one interim head coach, and another in reserve...probably because it's "cost-effective". 

As happy as I am that nASS and Recchi are gone, it feels like the Devils are ultimately going "corporate collaborative half-measure" with this.  Maybe they're still evaluating Ruff, and maybe this thing isn't fully over yet, but I get the feeling the owners don't like the idea of having another HC being paid along with Ruff, so this is the "happy medium".  Just wish we could've gone happy large, but obviously could've been plenty worse.    

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First reaction:  this is obviously great news.  Those two could NOT be allowed to come back, under any circumstances, no fvcking way.

That being said, if you're with @DevsMan84, in that you're concerned about ownership being willing to go as far as they should with regards to spending where it's warranted...it's valid in this case.  nASS' contract was apparently expiring, so letting him go didn't cost the Devils anything.  Recchi couldn't have been signed for anything crazy, so even though that one cost the Devils some coin, it wasn't much.  Was that the reason that both were kept as long as they were, even when it was insanely apparent that they deserved to be let go during the season?  To save some pennies?

Who can say what happens with Lindy, but I'm pretty sure he's a lame duck, with only next season left on his contract. 

The guess here:  Lindy is retained but not extended...he'll be told that a potential extension will be revisited down the line, depending on how the Devils perform to start 2022-23 (who else is hiring him anyway?).  Dineen will be forced on him as an assistant...if the Devils stumble out of the gate or start to swoon once again in Nov-Dec, Lindy will be canned, and Dineen will get the interim tag...if the Devils turn it around under him, he'll get a contract and will be come the Devils' HC for 2023-24 and beyond.  For lack of better words, the Devils are starting next season with one interim head coach, and another in reserve...probably because it's "cost-effective". 

As happy as I am that nASS and Recchi are gone, it feels like the Devils are ultimately going "corporate collaborative half-measure" with this.  Maybe they're still evaluating Ruff, and maybe this thing isn't fully over yet, but I get the feeling the owners don't like the idea of having another HC being paid along with Ruff, so this is the "happy medium".  Just wish we could've gone happy large, but obviously could've been plenty worse.    

If someone badly good for Fitz will not ask for a job here, this is how I look at situation right now. 

Punktd 1 is done. Recchi was fired.

Time to fire goalie coach and medical stuff.

After signing UFA goalie or trade, programm minimum will be done.

• Like 1

Gotta be honest though, I like Ruff and I’m kinda happy he’s coming back (for now). I get that he should have taken over the power play but he didn’t get to choose his assistants. I’d like to see how he can do with his own coaching staff. If they let him choose.

Part of me thinks Sarge should get an assistant job with the big club that possibly eventually leads to the HC job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

yeah, could of made a major statement and they choose not to. For a team that has struggled so bad for so long they were in a position to overhaul the rotting fish behind the bench from the head down.  It would be interesting to know what nass and recchi's contract statuses were going into this off season.  Or if they even were under contract going into next season which would make this move stink because they would of essentially have done nothing but let them or possibly one of them walk? But hey Jack really likes Sleepy behind the bench so there's that.

Lame ducks rarely work, but they do save you money at least initially.

There were so many better options than this one when it comes to HC going into next season and it would of been criminal to have brought back or resigned whatever the deal was with the asshats.  Fitz choose to be half pregnant which I've yet to see work well. So in the theme of the Brooks piece, typical Devils, nothing to see here.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yeah, could of made a major statement and they choose not to. For a team that has struggled so bad for so long they were in a position to overhaul the rotting fish behind the bench from the head down.  It would be interesting to know what nass and recchi's contract statuses were going into this off season.  Or if they even were under contract going into next season which would make this move stink because they would of essentially done nothing. But hey Jack really like Sleepy behind the bench so there's that.

Lame ducks rarely work, but they do save you money at least initially.

There were so many better options than this one when it comes to HC going into next season and it would of been criminal to have brought back or resigned whatever the deal was with the asshats.  Fitz choose to be half pregnant which I've yet to see work well. So in the theme of the Brooks piece, typical Devils, nothing to see here.

It's in my post, re:  contract statuses...nASS was simply not renewed...he would've had to have been extended.  Recchi was still under contract, though I don't know for how much longer.  I'm pretty sure Lindy only has one year left (hence the lame duck status).  I would've rather a full cleansing of the staff, but until Fitz comes out and says definitively that Lindy's being retained, guess we can't yet assume he's coming back.  

• Like 3

My prediction is that they hire Dineen and Brylin as assistans to Lindy. Lindy gets 20 games through next season and if results aren't what they should be Ruff gets the can and Dineen takes over. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

My prediction is that they hire Dineen and Brylin as assistans to Lindy. Lindy gets 20 games through next season and if results aren't what they should be Ruff gets the can and Dineen takes over. 

Yeah I had the Dineen part in my post...I think this is exactly what happens.  Lindy will be on the tightest of leashes next season (assuming he's back).     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

So then why not hand that short leash over to Dineen if they're so confident he's the answer?  What should the results be after 20 games next season?  The more I think about it the more it reeks, the guy stood there half asleep barely having a pulse while the house was burning down. He allowed the team to play the same way from day one even when it was painfully obvious the game plan and systems were sh!t.  Aw shucks if at first (or second)........burn another season, apparently without even waiting to see who might be available and willing to come here.  And the reason being thrown around here is so a couple of billionaires can save on paying him off if they were to let him go. Fantastic.  I mean just hold off on fixing another dozen or so sh!tter doors or urinals for another decade to offset that buyout cost if times are tough.  Jack the parking to $50 per game, whatever you got to do to get by.

Edited by titans04

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

So then why not had that short leash over to Dineen of they're so confident he's the answer?  What should the results be after 20 games next season?  The more I think about it the more it reeks, the guy stood there half asleep barely having a pulse while the house was burning down. He allowed the team to play the same way from day one even when it was painfully obvious the game plan and systems were sh!t.  Aw shucks if at first (or second)........burn another season.  Apparently without even waiting to see who might be available and willing to come here.  And the reason being thrown around here is so a couple of billionaires can save on paying him off if they were to let him go. Fantastic.  I mean just hold off on fixing another dozen or so sh!tter doors or urinals for another decade to offset that buyout cost if times are tough.  Jack the parking to $50 per game, whatever you got to do to get by.

In fairness, it wasn't so long ago that some were assuming no one was getting let go, or that only Recchi would.  Even if I have my ideas of what could happen next, we should probably wait until Fitz announces that Ruff is still the head coach.