2022 Off-Season thread PT 2

Devilsfan118

8 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The Devils are on the list for MT, that is all you can hope for in a situation like this.

Do you know this for sure? Up until now I haven't seen anything that says that NJ is other than fans want it to be a thing.

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

It seems a little light.

I agree it is light, but also...

There are 2 sides to this and that is where will MT agree to sign long term and who will put up the best trade. Both of these things need to align. If MT won't sign long term the whole thing is moot.

Hypothetically let's guess the top 3 teams are likely STL(home), OTT(brother), and NJ(Fitz). I'd put NJ at 3rd given the little that is known. If NJ is MT's 3rd choice how does STL or OTT not offer up a comparable, or better, trade package? I am not saying they will, just that they could. STL has a couple of good roster players they could offer right now + pick and OTT has a really deep prospect pool + picks. NJ has a much smaller pick of roster players/prospects to pick from.

Uneducated guess on my part, of course, but NJ likely can't compete in a trade vs STL or OTT if they really want MT and NJ isn't likely to be high enough up MT's list of places to sign anyway.

Just now, Jerrydevil said:

It seems a little light.

Agreed.  The one thing I'll say in defense of the "lighter" packages is depending upon who can actually get involved, sometimes these players go for a little less than expected.  But I still think this Devils would have to pay. 

13 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Wow, that's quite an idea. It might take three teams being involved to get Tkachuk moved for the right price if he wants to go to only one place.

I can see Tarasenko as a possibility to NJ.  Devils can take on his hit...with Palat on board, they'd be getting older in a hurry though. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed.  The one thing I'll say in defense of the "lighter" packages is depending upon who can actually get involved, sometimes these players go for a little less than expected.  But I still think this Devils would have to pay. 

I can see Tarasenko as a possibility to NJ.  Devils can take on his hit...with Palat on board, they'd be getting older in a hurry though. 

We could likely get Tarasenko at a discount if it helps St. Louis getting Tkachuk.
Especially as Tarasenko has an expiring contract after this season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

If we could replace Holtz with a 2024 1st, I’d do that. 

My offer: Sharangovich, Muk, Stillman, 2023 1st (unprotected), 2024 1st.

Calgary should embrace a full on rebuild. If they do, Markstrom would be on the market.

I am less than sold on Holtz, I have real concerns on whether his skills will translate to the NHL.  I hope I am wrong but it has made me more willing to part with him, especially for a proven 24 year old winger. 

You have to protect that 2023 first rounder if you are any team who are likely to be in the lottery and looking to make a trade. You can't risk trading a pick that could be the next McDavid, potentially the next big Russian scorer since Ovechkin or a 6ft 3 power forward who has outscored Matthews, Hughes and Eichel in his comparable seasons. 

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I am less than sold on Holtz, I have real concerns on whether his skills will translate to the NHL.  I hope I am wrong but it has made me more willing to part with him, especially for a proven 24 year old winger. 

You have to protect that 2023 first rounder if you are any team who are likely to be in the lottery and looking to make a trade. You can't risk trading a pick that could be the next McDavid, potentially the next big Russian scorer since Ovechkin or a 6ft 3 power forward who has outscored Matthews, Hughes and Eichel in his comparable seasons. 

I would trade holtz in a second. I don’t think the team is sold on him either. 

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Nemec, Holtz, Sharangovich, 2023 1st (protected), 2024 1st (unprotected) and Reilly Walsh. That's about commensurate with his value if you don't include Mercer/Bratt.

I feel that's an overpayment given the situation. MT has the ability to have some say over where he goes so Calgary has less leverage than they would like. 

I think if I am the Devil's I am saying no of that's what Calgary wants. 

I don’t think the Fitz is his uncle thing plays in to this much at all. Fitz might not even be here in a year if this season ends up like the last few. If Tkachuk is motivated by family, it’s St Louis or Ottawa. If he’s motivated by winning that’s a whole other list of teams.  If he’s motivated by money, we can definitely be in the mix. 

Who the hell knows...but if I were to guess what's going to happen, Tkachuk will force his way to St. Louis, and the Devils will wind up with Tarasenko for a return that will feel quite reasonable, as the Devils would largely doing the Blues a big favor, and they have the room to take him.  The question will then be do the Devils extend him ASAP?

If this happens, it's going to feel like a bit of a letdown...Tarasenko had a fine year last year and when healthy has been remarkably consistent, but just wish he was younger.  Tkachuk feels like such a great fit...but of course, if his heart is set on St. Louis (guess we'll see), not much Fitz can do about it.    

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Nemec, Holtz, Sharangovich, 2023 1st (protected), 2024 1st (unprotected) and Reilly Walsh. That's about commensurate with his value if you don't include Mercer/Bratt.

22 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I feel that's an overpayment given the situation. MT has the ability to have some say over where he goes so Calgary has less leverage than they would like. 

I think if I am the Devil's I am saying no of that's what Calgary wants. 

What if you get to keep one of Nemec or Holtz, everything else the same?

If the Devils can get Tarasenko out of this, and not lose anything more than one of the extra d, or forwards like Foote or Thompson, no one should be disappointed at all.

As long as Tarasenko checks out medically, I would totally sign him to an extension for another 3 years if you can get a good price, he's very good and would be the best scoring winger this team has had in a long time, since some guy retired on them and went home.

As much as MT might fit in, the price and him wanting other teams before might make this a better option anyway.

You don't have to deal 1st rd picks, you can see what Holtz is as all the lack of support of him makes no sense to me, when you look at what he did on a historic level of scoring in the AHL.

He did not play well in the NHL, but to hear some of you writing it's like he did nothing at all the entire season, go look up what guys who come over from Europe do in the AHL, he had a great year down there, show some patience for once.

Of course I trade him for MT, but don't just give up on the kid, his shot is something you can't teach, and I believe the struggles he had in the NHL are not unfixable, especially seeing he was working with Jesper's skating coach all off season.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t think the Fitz is his uncle thing plays in to this much at all.

Why is it that these things don’t matter when it’s the Devils? If his uncle was the GM of some other team, you’d probably be worried about it. I think it means something for sure. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Wow, sucks to be the Flames. Imagine your top two players want out in succession like that. Would suck to be that franchise. Definitely doesn't remind me of the post-2012 Devils at all. Tkachuk will have to be shipped out soon. Can't imagine he'll be sticking around after saying he won't commit to Calgary.

Does the uncle-nephew connection help us or hurt us? Tkachuk will be due for a big time contract, and I wonder if mixing family and business is something he will want to avoid. Probably matters less because this is all done via agent, but still makes me wonder.

I was in favor of bringing Tarasenko in last year, and I am still in favor. Point per game player last year, and he has never played with a center on Jack's caliber. He might be more expensive than what we would like, and he doesn't fit the age range we are looking for right now. His value has gone up since last offseason.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I’m way higher on Holtz than you are. I think he’s a future star in the league. I’m keeping him at all costs. But I don’t think Calgary accepts a protected  2023 pick. We also shouldn’t be a top pick candidate if we acquire Tkachuk.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Why is it that these things don’t matter when it’s the Devils? If his uncle was the GM of some other team, you’d probably be worried about it. I think it means something for sure. 

Not that it doesn't matter at all but the hype around him wanting to go to STL or playing with his brother just trump it. Anyway, sounds like so far OTT and NJ both aren't in his top 5.