The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

The only way Hellebuyck makes sense is if he’s literally the last piece to winning a cup and our window was closing. It’s literally just opening AND the youth is beyond showing promise, they literally just need some seasoning.

i really do not understand even the chatter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The only way Hellebuyck makes sense is if he’s literally the last piece to winning a cup and our window was closing. It’s literally just opening AND the youth is beyond showing promise, they literally just need some seasoning.

i really do not understand even the chatter

To me, it’s so simple.

VV at his cap hit has every chance to be cost-effective.

Ditto Schmid, I’d say even more so.

Hellebuyck at a cap-crippling hit is a disappointment waiting to happen.  He can’t have a playoff like he just did.  The Devils are NOT built to tie up a ton of cap space in a goalie.  They just aren’t.

• Like 2

I really don’t know how I feel about the CH thing. VV would obviously go back the other way, I wouldn’t want to give him term, the money he’s going to want could be an issue.. I just don’t know. I think it would be exciting at first but there’s quite a gamble there 

If we could sign Hellebuyck to a three year deal for $5 million per, well sign me the fvck up. Since there is not even a remote possibility of that occurring, keep this dude as far away from here as possible.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

If I were a star goalie at the later part of my prime, I would want to sign long term with the Devils too. Fitz knows he needs to sign Meier long term, and has expressed interest in signing Mercer long term too. Luke should follow soon, and there’s another likely future star in Nemec who will cost a lot if all goes well. I don’t see any way Fitz is even considering Helle. And that’s not even mentioning what Schmid did these playoffs. He has earned a chance to be a starter for this team. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

If I were a star goalie at the later part of my prime, I would want to sign long term with the Devils too. Fitz knows he needs to sign Meier long term, and has expressed interest in signing Mercer long term too. Luke should follow soon, and there’s another likely future star in Nemec who will cost a lot if all goes well. I don’t see any way Fitz is even considering Helle. And that’s not even mentioning what Schmid did these playoffs. He has earned a chance to be a starter for this team. 

It is kinda nice that he wants the Devils.

Fitz and the Devils should want no part of him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

1,000%. No way in hell that guy should get Vasilevskiy money.

Sorokin is a UFA next summer; that’s a guy you give a Vasilevsky deal to, and I’d imagine Lou will do just that, as bad as he’s been as GM of the Islanders. Same thing with Shesterkin. Both guys are still in their mid 20’s, and have been consistently top performers since entering the league. Those are the only two guys I’d pay $9.5 for. 

• Like 1

I don't get the "sign & trade" ... Ok for Severson I can of get it.. It was to sign the 8ième year.

But who wanna this for players like Wood & Graves (for example). What's the point of doing that. Just to have the few days before Free agent ?  I don't get it... Grave/Woods aren't the type of players there will be a war for ... right ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Also this second ever sign and trade thing is nonsense. Happened many times before, like Stone in Vegas for instance 

No…Stone was traded and THEN signed a deal with Vegas.  Seves and Tkachuk signed deals with the teams who still owned their exclusive negotiating rights and then were moved; hence “Sign (first) and trade (after having a new contract already in place)”

In the case of Seves, this arrangement allowed for a UFA to get an 8-year deal that he couldn’t have gotten on the open market…I’m obviously surprised that Columbus was THAT high on him to want to give him a max term, but they wanted him badly enough to go that far.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.gif.9fd46c75aea5178f32a6e483017fd449.gif

Not touching that with a 10ft pole. Given what we just gave Bratt and how we still have to sign Meier (and others), I'm pretty confident we're rolling into the season with Vanecek and Schmid, and I'm totally fine with that. 

• Like 3

According to LeBrun, we have mutual interest with Hellebuyck. We’d be one of his teams he’d have interest in doing a sign and trade with. We’d only have interest if his salary demands are reasonable.

Edited by devlman

Hellebuyck, Debrincat, & PLD are not coming to NJ.  After Timo is signed Fitz will have about 17 mil to sign Haula, Bastian, McCleod, Yegor (if he's not traded) a vet D man, a vet Goalie. AND maybe more depth in Domi or Compher? 

NJ is a desirable destination these days (thank god) with enviable cap space. So we'll hear all the shiny objects we have "interest" in. IMO, all 31 teams wish they were in our position.

51 minutes ago, moustic said:

What if Helle is willing to take a " Let's go to the cup altogether " salary ? 

Yea then you’ve got to do it, send vv the other way and make it work.. not long term though, I’m not about that, 3 - 4 years I’m in. 

9 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Yea then you’ve got to do it, send vv the other way and make it work.. not long term though, I’m not about that, 3 - 4 years I’m in. 

yeah it's enough a window to win 3 or 4 cups ; ) 

1 hour ago, moustic said:

What if Helle is willing to take a " Let's go to the cup altogether " salary ? 

How “cheap” is he willing to go?  Timo’s deal comes this offseason, Dawson’s time comes no later than after next season, then it’s Luke, then it’s Nemec, and suddenly it’s time to think about Nico.

Of course, a lot can happen, but flexibility is very likely to be limited soon.  Trying to squeeze an aging Hellebuyck into the mix just feels like it isn’t possible.  And it’s not like he had this great history of beastly playoffs performances.  I’d rather that the Devils just stick with what they have and see if Schmid is the (much cheaper) answer from within.  

• Like 1

I do agree that Helle is tricky to add in our salary and doesn't suit the youth movement that Fitz start years ago... But in same time, i haven't the same amount of faith in Schmid that you have. Little bit more in VV in regular season 
How many time a "one time wonder" goalie struggle after one or two miracle runs ? 

He is still young yes but ... i'm not sold yet