2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ugh, apparently he has passed away. It was a tremendous amount of blood so I can't say I'm surprised but just absolutely sad and awful. 

I saw a video and it was so much worse than Malarchuk or Zednik. The amount of blood on the ice in an instant was unbelievable. The hit that caused it was also just... awkward, like I think the hitter was going for a hip check and then.... hit a rut maybe and essentially flipped, throwing his skates high.

54 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I saw a video and it was so much worse than Malarchuk or Zednik. The amount of blood on the ice in an instant was unbelievable. The hit that caused it was also just... awkward, like I think the hitter was going for a hip check and then.... hit a rut maybe and essentially flipped, throwing his skates high.

I think it was so much worse than the other 2 cause the force of the impact was so much greater, it looked like a drop kick / super kick directly to the neck/throat. I saw some comments from people at the game that apparently it took like 10 mins for the paramedics to get on the ice. I would have assumed they were standing in the zamboni tunnels like most pro rinks I've seen but with the impact of this injury and the blood loss I'm not sure he would have survived either way but that's something that league/team can still definitely plan better if it's true that it took that long. 

Of course some morons are already blaming the guy for hitting him, his life completely changed as well last night and I can't even imagine how he feels.

Edited by Satans Hockey

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think it was so much worse than the other 2 cause the force of the impact was so much greater, it looked like a drop kick / super kick directly to the neck/throat. I saw some comments from people at the game that apparently it took like 10 mins for the paramedics to get on the ice. I would have assumed they were standing in the zamboni tunnels like most pro rinks I've seen but with the impact of this injury and the blood less I'm not sure he would have survived either way but that's something that league/team can still definitely plan better if it's true that it took that long. 

Of course some morons are already blaming the guy for hitting him, his life completely changed as well last night and I can't even imagine how he feels.

For all the horrible sh!t out there on the internet today, I don't think I need to see this one. 

RIP 

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

For all the horrible sh!t out there on the internet today, I don't think I need to see this one. 

RIP 

Agree, I don’t ever want to see that.

And of course, very tragically there are two victims here.  And I feel very horribly for both of them (and their families and friends).

Sounds like even if medical staff were there it may not have helped. It was that bad. If medical staff were not on hand and it really took them 10 min that is pretty bad. I think players, staff, refs, etc should all be trained in CPR, how to use a defibrillator, stabilize people with head/neck injuries or seizure, and what to do when people get cut. I refuse to watch the vid any further than after the hit itself(I saw the guys leg come up and that is where it stopped), but I saw other people comment that they tried to get him to skate off the ice...which...yea...every second counts. No one knew to help him put pressure on it? Idk...maybe everyone panicked...

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

but I saw other people comment that they tried to get him to skate off the ice...which...yea...every second counts. No one knew to help him put pressure on it? Idk...maybe everyone panicked...

He was trying to skate off the ice cause he knew it was bad but another player was putting pressure on his neck as he when he was skating off. The video cuts off after that but the trainer was already there with a towel and I'm sure applied pressure. The trainer really couldn't haven't got out there any quicker. It was like 8 seconds from the point of contact to when the trainer was to him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

He was trying to skate off the ice cause he knew it was bad but another player was putting pressure on his neck as he when he was skating off. The video cuts off after that but the trainer was already there with a towel and I'm sure applied pressure. The trainer really couldn't haven't got out there any quicker. It was like 8 seconds from the point of contact to when the trainer was to him. 

Ah, thanks for the context. Reading through a lot of Reddit and no one mentioned any of that.

21 minutes ago, devlman said:

Have to think neck guards will be mandatory soon. I wouldn’t play the game without one.

I'm surprised it still isn't.  Canada and Sweden have already mandated them in amateur hockey, USA Hockey just "recommends" them even though a Connecticut high school player died from the same thing in January 2022.

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

BUF just knocked Makar out of the game too. Bunch of toxic fruity drink accessories.

I swear ever since they had that miracle run to the conference finals where they shoulda realistically won if they weren’t on their 12th freaking defender, that team has become more and more unlikable each season.

NOTE: I’m VERY biased

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think it was so much worse than the other 2 cause the force of the impact was so much greater, it looked like a drop kick / super kick directly to the neck/throat. I saw some comments from people at the game that apparently it took like 10 mins for the paramedics to get on the ice. I would have assumed they were standing in the zamboni tunnels like most pro rinks I've seen but with the impact of this injury and the blood loss I'm not sure he would have survived either way but that's something that league/team can still definitely plan better if it's true that it took that long. 

Think the difference here is there is a club medical team avaliable at all games and they came on thenice straight away,  but there are not emergency paramedics on site for the whole game. And they took 10 minutes to arrive at the arena after being called.

• Like 1

Blackwood stopping 39 out of 41 shots, but yet another loss for the Sharks.  They’ve now scored just 9 goals in 9 games so far.  Outside of Hertl (5 points) and Zetterlund (3 points), everyone else on the Sharks has 2 points or less.

I’m obviously not a big believer in Mac but I gotta give him SOME credit here…a .907 save% so far with THIS team isn’t bad.  I’m not sure there’s a goalie in the league who’d stand much of a chance putting up respectable numbers over a full season on a team this dreadful.  

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Blackwood stopping 39 out of 41 shots, but yet another loss for the Sharks.  They’ve now scored just 9 goals in 9 games so far.  Outside of Hertl (5 points) and Zetterlund (3 points), everyone else on the Sharks has 2 points or less.

I’m obviously not a big believer in Mac but I gotta give him SOME credit here…a .907 save% so far with THIS team isn’t bad.  I’m not sure there’s a goalie in the league who’d stand much of a chance putting up respectable numbers over a full season on a team this dreadful.  

Just caught his highlights from the WSH game. I think like our goalies, it's a long season, but I really like what I've seen from Blackwood at least so far especially considering his team can't put any pucks in the net and they are winless still. 

Yeah the Sharks can't win a game right now, but all the former Devils are playing well. 

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.gif.faddaded6af2d5da3028f6bbe1410197.gif

Seves…yikes.

Somehow he’s second on his team in +/-, but he has not been good for them…he’s already had two classic Seves giveaways that have led directly to goals against.

HF boards and twitter are going wild over Petgrave, saying he did it intentionally, is a murderer, want him to be in jail. Just ridiculous stuff, freak accidents happen unfortunately and this just happened to be one. 

Their league is mandating neck guards, wonder if we start seeing more leagues doing it as well. I can imagine that there are a few guys playing who saw the video and will decide to wear one as well. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/english-ice-hockey-association-makes-neck-guards-mandatory-after-johnsons-death/

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Twitter and HF - SkAtEs NeVeR gEt ThAt HiGh

Damn I remember that now (and the photo of his stitches)…ouch.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

HF boards and twitter are going wild over Petgrave, saying he did it intentionally, is a murderer, want him to be in jail. Just ridiculous stuff, freak accidents happen unfortunately and this just happened to be one. 

Their league is mandating neck guards, wonder if we start seeing more leagues doing it as well. I can imagine that there are a few guys playing who saw the video and will decide to wear one as well. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/english-ice-hockey-association-makes-neck-guards-mandatory-after-johnsons-death/

I saw all of the comments on Twitter and had to take a look. Managed to find a video that stopped at the point of the collision, and I cannot for the life of me work out how it happend. Petgraves leg comes off the ice with such force. Even in super slow motion his skate is on the ice and then it's auddenly at face height.

And being honest on first viewing I though it looked pretty reckless. But on further viewing you can see he isn't even looking at Johnson. I think you could redo that play a million times over and not have that happen again.

• Like 1