2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Holy bejesus they might lose the next 5 straight games.

And not just lose, but get completely embarrassed.  Panthers, Blues, Rangers and Stars all have the potential to physically manhandle this team, gonna be men vs. boys out there.

Silver lining - I just cannot see Lindy surviving this stretch of games.  We'll have a new HC by mid-March.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 094628.png

Devils are gonna get KO'ed

Friedman today catching up to what I told you weeks ago . . .

“According to several sources, the Devils have not surrendered on Jacob Markstrom. If he is not traded to them this week, they will try again this summer. They’ve decided he is their target in goal. I’m also not convinced Tyler Toffoli is going anywhere. The price is high, and negotiations continue. It’s poker, so we will see where we are in a few days, but the Devils like him, and I don’t think they wish to easily give up their playoff pursuit, no matter how tough their trip through southern California was. In addition to a goaltender with term, they have to be considering a defender too, but those are very hard to find. They’ve dangled Alexander Holtz, but resisted Dawson Mercer.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-note-on-every-team-to-open-trade-deadline-week/

1 hour ago, smelly said:

Friedman today catching up to what I told you weeks ago . . .

“According to several sources, the Devils have not surrendered on Jacob Markstrom. If he is not traded to them this week, they will try again this summer. They’ve decided he is their target in goal. I’m also not convinced Tyler Toffoli is going anywhere. The price is high, and negotiations continue. It’s poker, so we will see where we are in a few days, but the Devils like him, and I don’t think they wish to easily give up their playoff pursuit, no matter how tough their trip through southern California was. In addition to a goaltender with term, they have to be considering a defender too, but those are very hard to find. They’ve dangled Alexander Holtz, but resisted Dawson Mercer.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-note-on-every-team-to-open-trade-deadline-week/

Fitz isn't firing Ruff (in the near future). If anything, it sounds like he's doubling down, convinced they can still make the playoffs under his watch. Fitz also sounds like he's obsessed with getting Markstrom. As others mentioned, I would talk to Boston to see what it would take to free up Ullmark. I won't even ask about Swayman because I don't think Boston would give him up. 

It's going to take our first-rounder and Holtz, at the very least for Markstrom. That'll probably be just the start of the negotiations. 

And instead of trying to acquire a pick for Toffoli, he's going to sit on that one too convinced they can still make the playoffs. 

It sounds like Fitz is either detached from reality or fighting for his job to the point where he has blinders on (but since he just got that contract for himself I doubt that's it).

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 3

It would be flat out dumb to overpay for a 34 goalie now.

If the offense was producing at the expected level, then go ahead and do it.

But the offense had been a major disappointment as well this season, so it’s not worth it to get that goalie who can make a key save for you when the offense can’t score.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't disagree with you one bit but if you believe Friedman, the Devils have completely 100% narrowed in on him.  He's our guy, whether it's now or in the offseason. 

It would make more sense to me if we had a blue-chip goalie prospect in the wings that was maybe a year or two out.  Don't know about you guys but I'm completely unsold on whether Daws or Schmid is a viable long-term solution here.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Holy bejesus they might lose the next 5 straight games.

And not just lose, but get completely embarrassed.  Panthers, Blues, Rangers and Stars all have the potential to physically manhandle this team, gonna be men vs. boys out there.

Silver lining - I just cannot see Lindy surviving this stretch of games.  We'll have a new HC by mid-March.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 094628.png

I'm not sold on Daws and Schmid either. They're super young so they have some potential that could still be realized. 

Regarding Lindy and the next 5 games, I don't think there's any chance he gets canned in that span, or even before the end of the season honestly.  Same principle as Markstrom - the time to bring in a new coach is long past due. While I always say and would agree that when a season is considered lost you might as well bring in a head coach early and give him an opportunity to work with players when it doesn't matter, I just don't see that happening. It doesn't seem like lots of GMs like to do that. So many GMs nowadays don't do what's necessary.  They can't do the hard things. Instead, Fitz will probably wait until the season is over and allow Lindy to "step down". 

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Watch us go 6-0 during this brutal Murderer's Row stretch.  If we do that I'll buy a Stadium Series jersey with Ruff on the back. 

Holding you to that. 

• Like 1

I'm also not a fan of trading Holtz for a 34-year-old goalie

The kid is one of the better pure finishers we've ever drafted. Is it his fault this dinosaur head coach doesn't know how to utilize them or develop him properly?

Calgary's about to make us look stupid, with Sharo and Holtz developing into studs for them while we take their old vets.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm also not a fan of trading Holtz for a 34-year-old goalie

The kid is one of the better pure finishers we've ever drafted. Is it his fault this dinosaur head coach doesn't know how to utilize them or develop him properly?

Calgary's about to make us look stupid, with Sharp and Holtz developing into studs for them while we take their old vets.

We don't fully know that yet, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance to prove it, especially under much better circumstances.

That being said, if the right deal comes along that helps the Devils improve their goaltending, gotta give to get.  Not sure if that's Markstrom, but I'm open to the idea of Holtz moving in the right deal.

At this point, it's just stupid to give up anything of value for Markstrom. The team would need to go on a big run, and there's no reason to think they can do that this year even with a better goalie. Fitzgerald and Lindy haven't even given Holtz a chance to excel at the NHL level, so nobody really knows what type of player he can be, yet they're willing to trade him. And in general, he's looked promising despite being banished to the fourth line all year.

I think you go with Schmid as the main guy since he's at least shown promise from time to time and in relief. Maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't, but at least you know going into the off-season. If we want to get real crazy, sign Brian Elliott to a one-year deal this week. Lindy's been throwing sh!t at the wall for the last few months with the line combinations, so might as well try that at goalie too.

• Like 1

Can we stop acting like Markstrom is the only goalie in the league? There are others out there that won’t cost an arm and a leg and not close to retirement. Remember, we don’t need a Vezina candidate, only a goalie that can moderately stop a beach ball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Can we stop acting like Markstrom is the only goalie in the league? There are others out there that won’t cost an arm and a leg and not close to retirement. Remember, we don’t need a Vezina candidate, only a goalie that can moderately stop a beach ball. 

Well that and defenseman that won’t constantly leave guys wide open and give up multiple odd man rushes a game. It’s been the perfect storm of crappy goaltending and terrible defense this year

Just now, Bonginator11 said:

Well that and defenseman that won’t constantly leave guys wide open and give up multiple odd man rushes a game. It’s been the perfect storm of crappy goaltending and terrible defense this year

Of course. Goaltending is but one piece of the equation. Fitz thought he could throw 3 rookie defensemen to the wolves and we’d be a playoff team. Tanev wasn’t expensive and yet Fitz failed to solidify the defense.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, devils26 said:

At this point, it's just stupid to give up anything of value for Markstrom. The team would need to go on a big run, and there's no reason to think they can do that this year even with a better goalie. Fitzgerald and Lindy haven't even given Holtz a chance to excel at the NHL level, so nobody really knows what type of player he can be, yet they're willing to trade him. And in general, he's looked promising despite being banished to the fourth line all year.

I think you go with Schmid as the main guy since he's at least shown promise from time to time and in relief. Maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't, but at least you know going into the off-season. If we want to get real crazy, sign Brian Elliott to a one-year deal this week. Lindy's been throwing sh!t at the wall for the last few months with the line combinations, so might as well try that at goalie too.

Yea that was criminal throwing Daws back out there yesterday. Just one of Ruff’s many countless terrible decisions

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Of course. Goaltending is but one piece of the equation. Fitz thought he could throw 3 rookie defensemen to the wolves and we’d be a playoff team. Tanev wasn’t expensive and yet Fitz failed to solidify the defense.

Seriously I would have done that Tanev deal at that price. No brainer. But no Fitz is curled up in his cave nowhere to be found

image.gif.056e6e3bd017ec8504791252c33c58e1.gif

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, devlman said:

Unfortunately our GM and his advisors (read: Marty) appear to disagree with you, in that Markstrom is our #1 target and we're willing to wait until the offseason to make it happen if need be.

sigh.

LeBrun notes on Markstrom and a new connection to Ullmark:

The Devils remain interested, as of Monday, and the Flames remain noncommittal about moving their star goalie, who is signed through the 2025-26 season at a $6 million AAV. Because the Flames keep winning!

New Jersey is motivated to fix its goaltending once and for all, and as I reported last Friday, the Devils have told the Flames they’re ready to take on the contract without any salary retention. But Flames GM Craig Conroy worries about ripping the heart out of his dressing room if he moves his goalie.

Most likely this is an offseason decision, but because the Devils are eager now, don’t discount the possibility of a trade before Friday’s deadline. Markstrom has a full no-move clause, but it’s believed he would waive it for New Jersey.

Yes, the Devils desperately need a goalie, and as discussed above they’re focused on a different Swede as their top target. However, I was also told Monday that the Devils have looked at Ullmark as a possible option if they can’t swing a deal with Calgary. So stay tuned there. Perhaps Ullmark, who’s signed through next season at a $5 million AAV, ends up in New Jersey if Calgary won’t move Markstrom.

https://theathletic.com/5315758/2024/03/04/nhl-trade-rumblings-buchnevich-markstrom-ullmark/?source=emp_shared_article

Edited by nmigliore

I am weary of Ullmark because I am not sure if there is something about how Boston plays that really helps him and JS. When Ullmark played on a worse team, where he was more exposed, he wasn't able to steal games. He looked average at best. Just not sure how much of Ullmark now is his own growth or him being the beneficiary of a good system, good team play, and splitting the workload.

NJ has shown to be not as good defensively but also plays a high risk transition game.

I got no idea though, so yea sure... Ullmark. Let's do it.

I liked Markstrom 5 years ago. I wouldn't trade for him now.  The biggest problem with the Devils is they are way too soft and they play soft.  Though, I don't like Lindy, that's not his fault.  The roster is on Fitz.

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am weary of Ullmark because I am not sure if there is something about how Boston plays that really helps him and JS. When Ullmark played on a worse team, where he was more exposed, he wasn't able to steal games. He looked average at best. Just not sure how much of Ullmark now is his own growth or him being the beneficiary of a good system, good team play, and splitting the workload.

NJ has shown to be not as good defensively but also plays a high risk transition game.

I got no idea though, so yea sure... Ullmark. Let's do it.

Linus Ullmark Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

I do like Ullmark, but it's fair to point out that last season was a MAJOR outlier for him.  He's also not a total workhorse-type...no more than 49 starts in any given season.  And his teammate is outplaying him.  

I wouldn't auction off the future for guys like Markstrom or Hallmark.   The Devils have to creat their fortune from within - either improve what we have or draft or sign a free agent.

All this talk about Holtz, Mercer, a First and Casey for either one of those two guys is absolute insanity. 

We're not talking about Vasilevsky or Bobrobsky in their hay day.  We're talking about Jakob Markstrom or Linus Ullmark ...guys gotta relax. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I wouldn't auction off the future for guys like Markstrom or Hallmark.   The Devils have to creat their fortune from within - either improve what we have or draft or sign a free agent.

All this talk about Holtz, Mercer, a First and Casey for either one of those two guys is absolute insanity. 

We're not talking about Vasilevsky or Bobrobsky in their hay day.  We're talking about Jakob Markstrom or Linus Ullmark ...guys gotta relax. 

Season is already punted, might as well wait until summer to see if any options change. I'm not mortgaging the future just to get Markstrom here for the rest of this worthless season

• Like 4