GDT: 11/18/23 Rangers @ Devils

RizzMB30

It pisses me off that our boys are struggling and things across the river look like they almost couldn't be better(at least from their record). It makes me want to throw some grape jelly and scream into the void....or wake up in the middle of the night and post about it on an internet message board at 4am...

7 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Every team pulls the goalie early, doesn't matter if its Torts, Laviolette, DeBoer, or Cronin. A huge amount of ENG against just means that you are playing from behind too much late in games and aren't coming back. 

I would argue it's a symptom and not the illness itself.  Still more work to be done. At the end of the day, I think we'd all take Thursdays 3rd period over today's 3rd period. Need to play a full 60 and settle into consistent team defense. 

I think the leaders on this team know that the solutions are within the locker room per the post-game.  It really sucks, but it's encouraging. Jack's back and looked great. 

I'm all for holding up on Zadorov until the deadline. If we take a major long-term injury to a key defenseman like Marino or Hammy, then I would try and pull the trigger and try to get the salary to work sooner, but there's no rush imho.  

The reason there's no rush is because PIT, PHI, NYI, and us are all a game or two away from being NHL .500. 2 of those teams will rise and 1 or 2 will definitely drop. I don't know if I expect WSH to keep the pace up either.

Being NHL .500 is not a caveat, it's bad. 

I don’t know if pulling a goalie with roughly two minutes left is “standard practice”, but it does feel like Lindy pulls his goalies on the early side…but I guess once your team gains the zone and looks like they’ll be able to sustain pressure, you pull the goalie and hope for the best.  60-90 seconds left in the game feels more normal to me, but my comment was more made out of pure frustration.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post…I consider Miller to be an upgrade over Smith (Fitz did too…he went out and got him for a reason), and due to Miller just starting to play now, that move has worked out like a trade just made, so might as well see if this D-corp can improve.  I do feel like as a whole, they’re better than what they’ve shown.

And yeah it’s not like the rest of the Metro is that great…yeah, sucks that the division title itself will be hard for the Devils to take, but that doesn’t mean much.  Just make the playoffs.  I still think the Devils will do that.

Great to have Jack back, even with the loss.

And one last thought…on one hand, easy to look at that frustrating tying goal just after the faceoff and think “Lucky fvckers”, but the Devils got a pair of softies for their first two goals, so it is what it is.

On to Detroit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It pisses me off that our boys are struggling and things across the river look like they almost couldn't be better(at least from their record). It makes me want to throw some grape jelly and scream into the void....or wake up in the middle of the night and post about it on an internet message board at 4am...

It’s November.

12 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Right?  He had eight other candidates from which to choose?

Someone else pointed it out below but we don’t even know if he conducted interviews with them. Ruff has his pluses, but man the minuses sometimes are significantly more glaring.

as @MadDog2020 said though, it’s only November. A Win Wednesday keeps us around tied for the final WC spot AND teams within 4 points of a playoff spot in November are statistically more likely to make it than those outside of 4 points (just 17% of teams that had 4+ deficits in November make it, according to Elliotte Friedman)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, devlman said:

I’m sorry but Vanecek isn’t a net positive enough for a cup contender. He makes the occasionally big save but it’s far too seldom. This fan base over inflates his big save count. He really doesn’t do it enough and lets in a ton of easier goals. The rebound he gives up for the fourth goal is just unacceptable in the NHL.

Yea when Jimmy Vesey makes it look easy, you have a goaltending problem. Dave Rogalski has been in charge of our goaltending since the days of John Hines and it's been bad for that long. 

Edited by slasher72

17 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Yea when Jimmy Vesey makes it look easy, you have a goaltending problem. Dave Rogalski has been in charge of our goaltending since the days of John Hines and it's been bad for that long. 

People can say the defense lets him down but at some point a goalie has to do better than an .889 save percentage, and come up with the clutch saves more often. I have not been impressed with him and I’m sorry to say but my patience for him is officially over.

1 hour ago, capo said:

Goaltending was the difference. Schmid should have got this start. It's not to often you're going to catch shesterkin as bad as he was last night and he he was still better than VV. Ruff will never learn.

Not saying the outcome would have been different but I thought this too given Schmid’s success against the Rags. Sometimes someone just has another team’s number. But I guess Ruff doesn’t believe in that

5 hours ago, capo said:

Goaltending was the difference. Schmid should have got this start. It's not to often you're going to catch shesterkin as bad as he was last night and he he was still better than VV. Ruff will never learn.

Their numbers are almost identical, literally, neither very good. Schmid actually slightly worse, he's got 1 win on the season in 6 games. You're picking your poison going into each game right now.  

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Reading everyone’s comments about goaltending has reminded me (again) of how spoiled we were watching Marty for so many years.

Spoiled is a good word for it. 

Remember tho, there was a long stretch at the end where everyone on this board was begging the staff to just play Corey Schneider for 55-60 games and play Marty for 22-27. 

Goalies ebb and flow and are weird. Look at Markstrom in CGY. Vezina level year and can't get the magic to come back 2 years later. I think Markstrom is further proof that the goalie stats tend to reflect how well the defense in front of them is playing. 

It's incredibly difficult when goalies are riding the team hot streaks when the team gets hot and then you can find goalies playing very well on bad teams too, but then the goalies cant get their numbers up. 

Edited by RizzMB30

45 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Goalies ebb and flow and are weird. Look at Markstrom in CGY. Vezina level year and can't get the magic to come back 2 years later. I think Markstrom is further proof that the goalie stats tend to reflect how well the defense in front of them is playing. 

It's incredibly difficult when goalies are riding the team hot streaks when the team gets hot and then you can find goalies playing very well on bad teams too, but then the goalies cant get their numbers up. 

Jonathan Quick is having a decent year and even Louis Dominque had a .960 ish save percentage his last start for the Rags, yes a tight D makes a huge difference

Edited by HughesCorporation
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

Jonathan Quick is having a decent year and even Louis Dominque had a .960 ish save percentage his last start for the Rags, yes a tight D makes a huge difference

True, but I don't think Quick's former team LA was horrible defensively and he struggled mightily in the last few years there. So I guess what I am saying it could be an anomaly, but it could be a resurgence too, just never know until you play them a lot (like playoff level workload) and they rise to the occasion. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

True, but I don't think Quick's former team LA was horrible defensively and he struggled mightily in the last few years there. So I guess what I am saying it could be an anomaly, but it could be a resurgence too, just never know until you play them a lot (like playoff level workload) and they rise to the occasion. 

Maybe its what happens when a player puts on that rangers jersey LOL ....I think I just threw up a little omg lol