Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s a young guy; that’ll come with experience.

For sure.  I like what he brings, it's just making slight adjustments to how he brings it.

He's a breath of fresh air.  Nothing worse than when Amanda basically asks a long-winded question where the question answers itself, and the person being "asked" pretty much says, "Well, yeah" or something like that.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's amazing, everyone sees it but Fitz.

I'm not saying replacing Ruff will turn the season, but dammit, you can't fire the players, as they say.

It could have lit a fire under the players asses for the WCT, but that's long gone now, just like the playoff hopes if they keep riding Ruff. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah not saying Novo can't have opinions, more that he comes across as "bloggier" than he probably should (maybe he'd actually be BETTER as a pure blogger), and I do think he has a personal beef with Lindy...there's writers who "like" and/or respect the coach they're covering but eventually might feel that it's time for a change, and they'll say it in a way that reflects that.   I think with Novo, Lindy really got to him that day...enough that I sense it in the way Novo writes about Lindy.    

I'd say that Novo just needs a little more polish.  Like I said previously, not like I disagree with much of the article at all.  He's definitely saying what many fans are thinking.  

Pretty sure Novo was the one that asked Lindy about Bratt too. Novo isn't afraid to ask a question, and if Lindy believes in what he is doing and at least has logical reasoning backing him up, different opinions aside, he shouldn't be afraid of people confronting him. This obviously only applies to questions asked in good faith. Asking Lindy what he thought of people chanting for him to be fired is just throwing it in his face and looking for a soundbite.

• Like 3

As I look for ANY justification as to why Fitz simply refuses to relieve Lindy of his duties, I think he must know that Jack and Timo are simply never going to be 100% this season, and without them he can’t see the Devils making a run at either a playoff berth or doing much should they reach the playoffs, so might as well wait until the offseason to find a new coach, and be able to interview multiple candidates.

I still think the current situation has become toxic enough to at least go the interim route.  I don’t think it’s some must that Lindy has to finish out the season.  nASS took over for Hynes and it actually didn’t go that badly.  If Green takes over for the rest of the season, so be it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's amazing, everyone sees it but Fitz.

I'm not saying replacing Ruff will turn the season, but dammit, you can't fire the players, as they say.

It could have lit a fire under the players asses for the WCT, but that's long gone now, just like the playoff hopes if they keep riding Ruff. 

I’m an optometrist - if he needs glasses to see how badly Ruff needs to be fired then I’d be happy to give him a free eye exam. But seriously I fail to see how Fitz fails to see that Ruff needs to go

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As I look for ANY justification as to why Fitz simply refuses to relieve Lindy of his duties, I think he must know that Jack and Timo are simply never going to be 100% this season, and without them he can’t see the Devils making a run at either a playoff berth or doing much should they reach the playoffs, so might as well wait until the offseason to find a new coach, and be able to interview multiple candidates.

I still think the current situation has become toxic enough to at least go the interim route.  I don’t think it’s some must that Lindy has to finish out the season.  nASS took over for Hynes and it actually didn’t go that badly.  If Green takes over for the rest of the season, so be it.

This is why I want him gone. They look like they have lost motivation, they feel sorry for themselves and aren’t playing hungry. Three shots in the biggest period of your season and they didn’t show up.

they got their teeth absolutely kicked in by the Rangers after they squandered the power play. They eked by Montreal. And I won’t even bring up the embarrassment that was the caps game. (Yes out of order, point remains.)

losing is easy, we’ve VERY well versed in losing culture, and the team in their current state looks like that kinda effort. At least a few years ago when they were losing they were busting their asses out there and then burning out cause they were young, inexperienced and outmatched. Now this team has bad goaltending, down their number one defender, but cannot do anything offensively.

Ruff doesn’t do the smart thing and put his players in positions of strength, he wants Lindy’s way, and Lindy’s way worked last year cause it was a different team, and he cannot grasp that fact, he keeps going back to the same system that has failed countless times this year and has netted 42 first goals against.

Fitz preaches to the fans and media a different culture while sitting idly by as the winning culture becomes a glimmer in the rearview mirror. It’s insulting as a fan to watch this and him do NOTHING.

Smelly is right he blew this season with inaction on goaltending, badly. SH is right that they have some damn nerve to raise prices while this team squanders a full season of our top players’ prime, CR is right that Fitz is at fault, and I join MD in going progressively more insane each time 3LR’s name is mentioned.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Technically, by virtue of being "only" five points behind the Flyers with a game in hand, the Devils aren't dead yet (even though we know they pretty much are already).

I don't think they're dead, but time is running out.

Whether we're dead or alive, there is no downside to firing Ruff right now. I think most here would agree with that. Maybe Smelly wouldn't!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Whether we're dead or alive, there is no downside to firing Ruff right now. I think most here would agree with that. Maybe Smelly wouldn't!

The amount of options to make the playoffs is dwindling. Boththe wild card teams seem to be pulling away. It will come down to if we can haul in the Flyers for that divisional sspot.

Its not impossible, but as you say time and the number of games isn't on their side.

9 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

In fairness to Smelly, I don't think he's necessarily against firing Ruff, as much as he's so focused on the goaltending being the primary (and secondary and tertiary) issue that he doesn't see a coaching change producing the desired results.  But I'm with you in that I think we're past that part of it, and it's simply long past time for Lindy to go...as long as he remains, there's just no hope at all.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but even when this team was turning in some frustrating results, quite often you still could see the effort...this year the team hasn't always played smart or well, but it did feel like they weren't quitting (as we saw with some furious third-period surges).  I felt like Lindy still had the room for much of the season.

But it's clear to me now that he no longer does, and I don't think that he's going to get it back...I don't think this team buys into what he's trying to sell them.  That's why I think this situation has become toxic and why even going the interim route is a more than acceptable route to go.  This just has to come to an end.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness to Smelly, I don't think he's necessarily against firing Ruff, as much as he's so focused on the goaltending being the primary (and secondary and tertiary) issue that he doesn't see a coaching change producing the desired results.  But I'm with you in that I think we're past that part of it, and it's simply long past time for Lindy to go...as long as he remains, there's just no hope at all.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but even when this team was turning in some frustrating results, quite often you still could see the effort...this year the team hasn't always played smart or well, but it did feel like they weren't quitting (as we saw with some furious third-period surges).  I felt like Lindy still had the room for much of the season.

But it's clear to me now that he no longer does, and I don't think that he's going to get it back...I don't think this team buys into what he's trying to sell them.  That's why I think this situation has become toxic and why even going the interim route is a more than acceptable route to go.  This just has to come to an end.  

This team used to battle no matter the score, no matter how bad the effort, the third period they'd come out like the team they SHOULD be. It was frustrating for Lindy haters (namely me) cause they clearly were rallying for their coach and for each other. That mindset is gone. They peaked at the Stadium Series and have coasted since, resulting in a 1-4 record when they needed 3-2 at worst.

Overtly or not, Lindy has lost the room, it is evident. They don't play his system, cause there is no clear system. Its let Jack go try to do too many Jack things. I'll take Smelly's word that Jack is playing hurt, same with Timo. If we're punting the season, then sit them out, but Lindy wont, he'll keep double shifting Jack to try and run the "save my career" play, he'll keep trotting Timo out on the left wing where he has been absolutely ineffective, he'll put Smith back in tonight cause he'll use Sunday as "see, i told you we needed him in there," Holtz will play 6 minutes because he doesn't play like Miro Satan, etc etc.

It's the same broken record we can all see from the comfort of our couches or in the arena, same broken system that any team with a video coach who can use a crayon can exploit, and we'll keep watching the season go down as a colossal failure, all while our GM is missing and our coach is useless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness to Smelly, I don't think he's necessarily against firing Ruff, as much as he's so focused on the goaltending being the primary (and secondary and tertiary) issue that he doesn't see a coaching change producing the desired results. 

Yes CR is accurate about this as a summary of how I see it. 

And not sure if this has already been posted here, and it’s behind paywall so maybe not available to all, but this was a pleasant story to wake up to today. Gag.

https://theathletic.com/5299132/2024/02/27/predators-andrew-brunette-u2-concert/

Edited by smelly

40 minutes ago, smelly said:

Yes CR is accurate about this. 

And not sure if this has already been posted here, and it’s behind paywall so maybe not available to all, but this was a pleasant story to wake up to today. Gag.

https://theathletic.com/5299132/2024/02/27/predators-andrew-brunette-u2-concert/

I disagree. We saw goaltending numbers improve a lot post-system change. Add in one or two competent dmen and we can get average goaltending as opposed to atrocious goaltending.

Goaltenders still suck and need major upgrading but Fitz/Lindy could’ve mitigated the suckage. If we had traded for Markstrom back in December we’d have an extra 6 points in the bank.

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

I disagree. We saw goaltending numbers improve a lot post-system change. Add in one or two competent dmen and we can get average goaltending as opposed to atrocious goaltending.

Goaltenders still suck and need major upgrading but Fitz/Lindy could’ve mitigated the suckage. If we had traded for Markstrom back in December we’d have an extra 6 points in the bank.

Ya the first part of the season counts too, and notwithstanding the recent offensive woes they would be safely in a playoff spot if they hadn’t pissed away so many points they otherwise earned. Way more than six.

Second, league average performance over a couple of weeks is not at all as material as months of contrary performance.  Nor does it change the fact that they need a solution going forward anyway. 

Edited by smelly

1 hour ago, StarDew said:

None of those suggestions would be acceptable replacements. The assistant coach who also sucked at his first stop and is responsible for this horrible power play? The guy Edmonton fired? Bruce fvcking Boudreau?! The writer made sure to list four losers. Craig Berube and Todd McClellan are better than all four of those guys and would be my top two choices. 

Edited by MadDog2020

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

None of those suggestions would be acceptable replacements. The assistant coach who also sucked at his first stop and is responsible for this horrible power play? The guy Edmonton fired? Bruce fvcking Boudreau?! The writer made sure to list four losers. Craig Berube and Todd McClellan are better than all four of those guys and would be my top two choices. 

Thought it was interesting for what was said earlier in the article.

edit: I agree with you the choices are wrong fit this team. Loved how he pointed out what we know abt team . 😀

Edited by StarDew
finish thought
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nmigliore said:

There are 3 teams in the right half of this chart not currently in playoff position. 1 of them fired their coach and have been 23-15-2 since. 🤔

This is an example of why to me a ton of this stuff is meaningless, or cute if meaningless hurts peoples feelings. That's not my intention in any way. What's fun losing, being out of a playoff position, giving up the first goal how many times, sh!tty GT, defense, coach, all with the GM hiding in the deepest of rabbit holes?  But hell yeah we sure are fun to watch.  Meanwhile 4 of the top 5 teams in pts (I stopped looking at that point) are dead center or even left of center.  Those poor fanbases must be suffering and have no idea what they're missing out on.

Wake me up when we're less fun to watch.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2