GDT: 3/3/2024 Devils @ Kings, 3 pm, TNT

Season’s over.  Devils had every chance to pull closer, but pretty much impossible to pull that off when you go 8-11-1 over your last 20.

Starting this GDT mostly because someone had to.  I’m as disappointed and beaten down as anyone else here. Not going to pretend that a win today matters one bit, because the heater that the Devils need to force their way into a playoff spot is never coming.

22 more games for Luke and Nemec (and Bahl) to gain more experience and come in next year that much less raw.

22 more games for Jack to stay healthy (even if not fully) and rack up some points.  If nothing else, watching Jack do Jack things is always fun.

With each game played, that’s one game closer to putting this incredibly disappointing season behind us.  That can’t come soon enough.

No L G M F D from me.  My enthusiasm is gone.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

22 games left, meaning:

- Smith will play 21, 19 of which stapled to Hughes side, and being a combined minus 18 over that span with 18 PIMs

- Holtz, if not traded in the massive overpayment Fitz is about to do for Markstrom, will get 100 minutes combined but still net 7 goals playing with the talent equivalent of our equipment manager and Rich Chere as linemates. At exit interviews, Ruff will say “I thought he came into his own this season, but he never really showed us consistency on offense. He needed to grow where he’s planted, maybe next year. Why yes, I do hate those little meatballs from IKEA, why you ask?”

- Timo will continue to get a shift here or there on his natural right side. He’ll score or produce exactly how we wanted him to, Ruff, “he’s another guy who needs to be more adaptive and work on that this offseason. He doesn’t play the Lindy…. I mean the Devil way. Once he does, he’ll be a really good player for us.”

- Toffoli will get a 3x5 deal from Fitz, shortly after the Markstrom trade. He’ll score about a dozen more goals before the end of the year, two more hat tricks, but then his skates suddenly turn into literal concrete for the Foxwoods Final Five games. The board loses their collective minds.

thats all I have for now.

i’d say don’t get embarrassed today, but it’s the Devils that are lead by Lindy Ruff.

yep.

• Like 4

The incredible thing about today, and this particular game, is that there's still 22 games left, which is more than 25% of the season.  Think about that. A quarter of the season is still left! As much as it seems like the season is over, 22 games is a meaningful amount, yet, given how they've been playing the previous quarter season, it makes it seem like 22 games left is actually just 4 games.

What a shame that the team really does have an opportunity to do something amazing, but we, and maybe they, have almost zero confidence that they can do it. 

At any rate...Let Go Devils.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The incredible thing about today, and this particular game, is that there's still 22 games left, which is more than 25% of the season.  Think about that. A quarter of the season is still left! As much as it seems like the season is over, 22 games is a meaningful amount, yet, given her they've been playing the previous quarter season, it makes it seem like 22 games left is actually just 4 games.

What a shame that the team really does have an opportunity to do something amazing, but we, and maybe they, have almost zero confidence that they can do it. 

At any rate...Let Go Devils.  

I had confidence, even if it was overly inflated by hope and misguided optimism, going into Friday. Things broke their way almost perfectly: everyone ahead lost opening the door wide open for the chance to step up, snatch control of their destiny and be back in the driver seat. 

then the came out and laid a Taco Bell after a night of heavy drinking level loose stool of an effort, got absolutely embarrassed by a rookie goalie and then Jack’s shot attempt sealed it: confusion, too many what ifs in a single effort.

kids have their final track meet today, I’m turning off notifications. I don’t want to know what’s happening live, I’ll be too angry in between races.

yep, the 2023-2024 Devils have broke me on the season. 

• Like 2

Lindy Ruff eats pizza with a fork.

And he pushed my 89-year-old grandmother down a flight of stairs.

Her hip shattered like balsa wood.

Sad part is, if this dopey organization 86’s Lindy, they might actually go on that run we think they are capable of and secure a playoff spot.

But no, we gotta sit here status quo. Pure insanity.

It’s not all Lindy’s fault, but to not take any action is downright criminal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Turning into a gorgeous day in Jersey today, I'm going out. First game I've intentionally skipped all year.

Nice day here in FL too. I'm going out on a boat with some friends.  Probably won't have much cell service to stream the game. I usually love when games are on National TV like this one on TNT because I don't get too many opportunities like that, but I'm not really upset about missing it.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Sad part is, if this dopey organization 86’s Lindy, they might actually go on that run we think they are capable of and secure a playoff spot.

But no, we gotta sit here status quo. Pure insanity.

It’s not all Lindy’s fault, but to not take any action is downright criminal. 

How many times is it not the coaches fault, but the coach gets canned to make the change because you gotta do something and it creates results. It's part of the job. The fact they held pat on lindy is fvcked. It wouldn't have fixed the goalie issues but the team might have woken up. The season before last the team played great but couldn't get a save and went through like 7 goalies. You could see the team was there, they were good, they just couldn't get a save. This season they do not look like that team from 2 seasons ago. That team with Andrew Hammond in net could probably wax the floor with these guys.

Long post to say, yea I agree.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

22 games left, meaning:

- Smith will play 21, 19 of which stapled to Hughes side, and being a combined minus 18 over that span with 18 PIMs

- Holtz, if not traded in the massive overpayment Fitz is about to do for Markstrom, will get 100 minutes combined but still net 7 goals playing with the talent equivalent of our equipment manager and Rich Chere as linemates. At exit interviews, Ruff will say “I thought he came into his own this season, but he never really showed us consistency on offense. He needed to grow where he’s planted, maybe next year. Why yes, I do hate those little meatballs from IKEA, why you ask?”

- Timo will continue to get a shift here or there on his natural right side. He’ll score or produce exactly how we wanted him to, Ruff, “he’s another guy who needs to be more adaptive and work on that this offseason. He doesn’t play the Lindy…. I mean the Devil way. Once he does, he’ll be a really good player for us.”

- Toffoli will get a 3x5 deal from Fitz, shortly after the Markstrom trade. He’ll score about a dozen more goals before the end of the year, two more hat tricks, but then his skates suddenly turn into literal concrete for the Foxwoods Final Five games. The board loses their collective minds.

thats all I have for now.

i’d say don’t get embarrassed today, but it’s the Devils that are lead by Lindy Ruff.

yep.

I have a feeling Markstrom will not be a devil, at least now, and I'm not upset.

31 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

How many times is it not the coaches fault, but the coach gets canned to make the change because you gotta do something and it creates results. It's part of the job. The fact they held pat on lindy is fvcked. It wouldn't have fixed the goalie issues but the team might have woken up. The season before last the team played great but couldn't get a save and went through like 7 goalies. You could see the team was there, they were good, they just couldn't get a save. This season they do not look like that team from 2 seasons ago. That team with Andrew Hammond in net could probably wax the floor with these guys.

Long post to say, yea I agree.

Lindy let this team come into the season cocky, not confident. They come into almost every game expecting the other team to just lay down or underestimate them. Meanwhile they get kicked in the damn teeth 44 times and counting and it still isn’t enough to wake them up.

but Lindy being Lindy just stands there, arms crossed, staring.

i will forever think about the time Luke tried to rush to clear the puck and Sal said “and Lindy’s barinkg at the refs pleading his case,” meanwhile the camera flashed over and he was his usual cardboard cutout of a coach self just standing there clearly not having spoken to anyone on the ice.