New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

At this point, maybe two teams are still in on the kovy race. I have a hard time believing other gm's are waiting on this to sign players.

That is, unless Lou has a long waiting list for the players we'll have to dump to fit kovy. Which I personally doubt.

this hasn't stalled anything. guys like stempniak, torres, etc. are still out there because their price is still too high.

Im not talking about players signing, i am talking about trades involving other teams. It seems to be the case that other GM's hold fire on making deals untill they now what other teams have in cap space.

Didn't lou even say himself that this was holding certain things up , and brian Burke made it clear there would have been more going on with the Kabrle situation if the whole kovy thing had played itslef out in an orderly fashion?

Edit:

Burke also said that he believes that the never-ending Ilya Kovalchuk saga has impacted interest in Kaberle.
Lamoriello admited that waiting for the Kovalchuk grievance to be settled—it took three weeks from the day he originally signed—did hold up other team business.

“Certainly things get held up, but to say what the timing is, I don’t think that’s fair right now,” he said.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been over a week since the decision and Kovy has been a Free agent since then I cant believe there has been pretty much zero news on this and this process is taking this long. Maybe Lou is working on trades or other player movements, before announcing a new kovy deal. He wants everything to be in place....

i think it's an issue where kovalchuk wants $90-$100MM in 10 years and Lou needs to find the contract that can can approved and the room to make it happen.

1) get kovalchuk a contract he likes

2) quietly find out if the league will approve it

3) find takers for rolston and salvador

this is really what it's all about and why i think there's complete radio silence on this for the last week.

Im not talking about players signing, i am talking about trades involving other teams. It seems to be the case that other GM's hold fire on making deals untill they now what other teams have in cap space.

Didn't lou even say himself that this was holding certain things up , and brian Burke made it clear there would have been more going on with the Kabrle situation if the whole kovy thing had played itslef out in an orderly fashion?

it's maybe holding up one or two moves. we know from experience that lou tends to wait until the last minute on these things.

burke was just saving face about the fact that he knew that without a miracle he wasn't going to make a kaberle trade.

Edited by Triumph

I have to admit Im surprised that our response to the situation was not at the ready and seemingly, the devs (all involved) were caught flat footed by the turn of events.... surprising

i don't think the devils were caught flat-footed. for one, the ruling makes it very difficult to proceed without angering the NHL powers that be. secondly, the original contract was structured in an incredibly specific way. the devils are going to have to structure it much differently and lower the amount of money involved, and both things may not be to kovalchuk's liking. as i've said since the deal was rejected, kovalchuk will probably lose out on $10 million with a new deal - that's probably something worth negotiating for.

i don't think the devils were caught flat-footed. for one, the ruling makes it very difficult to proceed without angering the NHL powers that be. secondly, the original contract was structured in an incredibly specific way. the devils are going to have to structure it much differently and lower the amount of money involved, and both things may not be to kovalchuk's liking. as i've said since the deal was rejected, kovalchuk will probably lose out on $10 million with a new deal - that's probably something worth negotiating for.

But will he really be losing out that much? His deal will still be front loaded and the cap hit will have to increase by about a million IMO. While he certainly will not be making as much, I dont think he'll lose that much

Lou kind of dropped the ball on the contract in the first place. The thing to do was to sign Kovy to a 170 year contract worth 1 gajillion dollars. Then when the NHL took the Devils to arbitration and ultimately won then Lou could have gone with 17 years/102 million. In comparison to the original contract the NHL would definitely approve and no one would bitch about it.

But will he really be losing out that much? His deal will still be front loaded and the cap hit will have to increase by about a million IMO. While he certainly will not be making as much, I dont think he'll lose that much

he will lose a lot. the original deal had him making 98.5 million in 11 years. that's a cap hit of nearly 9M. since it's unlikely that his deal can go past 13 years, and unlikely that it can be structured in quite the same way, the max contract i see him getting is 13 years, 91M, and that's with a cap hit of 7M.

that revised deal has him losing out on at least 7.5M, and he probably won't play out the end of the contract to boot. also, the last year of the new contract should have him getting paid at least 1.5 million so as not to upset the NHL front office, so he would lose out on 10 million if he played 11 years of that new contract. and again, that's the best contract i see him getting.

Edited by Triumph

My major complaint with PA drivers is that they don't understand that the left lane is for people who want to drive fast. It seems like any time I see someone doing 55 in the fast lane they are A) a senior citizen B) from Pennsylvania C) Both A and B.

my major complaint about 98% of drivers is that they think the left lane is the "fast lane"

the left lane is for passing, "keep right except to pass" are words to live by.

people who travel in the left lane are the worst no matter if they are going 55 or 70.

Although hah.gif at the squiggly lines denoting steam.

Yeah, it's no wonder she won the 2010 Chico, eh? rolleyes.gif

Since I am sitting back just waiting for the signing we should add emoticons where he is eating something else besides popcorn,

drunksmiley.gif