2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yotes get a compensatory pick at 53rd for this, I'd take a flier on Bleackley in the 4th or 5th Round, I liked him a lot in his draft year but he hasn't had near the same production since then. He has the talent though, just needs to get consistent and stay healthy.

7 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Yotes get a compensatory pick at 53rd for this, I'd take a flier on Bleackley in the 4th or 5th Round, I liked him a lot in his draft year but he hasn't had near the same production since then. He has the talent though, just needs to get consistent and stay healthy.

Do you think he'll be drafted?

I hope the Devils take Sokolov at 41 (or in the 3rd round if he is still available). I saw this article (posted below) that was saying that he played most of the season with an injured shoulder, and still put up decent OHL numbers. This was also his first season in North America, and he led his team in points.

Sokolov seems like one of the few forwards in this draft after the top 3 that seems like he has superstar potential. If you look up old videos of him, he looks incredibly skilled, and plays a game similar to Kovalchuk. His shot is something that the Devils could use in the near future.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2016/03/28/sudbury-wolves-sokolov-eager-for-next-season

28 minutes ago, nessus said:

I hope the Devils take Sokolov at 41 (or in the 3rd round if he is still available). I saw this article (posted below) that was saying that he played most of the season with an injured shoulder, and still put up decent OHL numbers. This was also his first season in North America, and he led his team in points.

Sokolov seems like one of the few forwards in this draft after the top 3 that seems like he has superstar potential. If you look up old videos of him, he looks incredibly skilled, and plays a game similar to Kovalchuk. His shot is something that the Devils could use in the near future.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2016/03/28/sudbury-wolves-sokolov-eager-for-next-season

Meh, for all the belly-aching that we get about how scouting departments are stuck in the past, etc., the NHL draft is generally pretty efficient in that you see relatively few players drafted after the first round (or even after the top 20) that turn into superstars of Kovalchuk's stature, especially at the forward position.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up on any forward pick after the first round.  Superficially, Sokolov appears to have a similar resume to Valentin Zykov, who hasn't done much in the AHL thus far. 

Well, he was often ranked in the top 10 (both NA and international players) early in the year, presumably before the shoulder injury. He was way ahead of Rubtsov early on. While it's certainly valid to think that he has regressed due to his somewhat disappointing point production this year, it could have more to do with this nagging injury that is likely to be resolved by next year.

With that said, I don't think this guy is on Kovalchuk's level, but he seems like an intense player, and someone with a similar playing style. I have no idea how he is defensively, though.

Edited by nessus

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Meh, for all the belly-aching that we get about how scouting departments are stuck in the past, etc., the NHL draft is generally pretty efficient in that you see relatively few players drafted after the first round (or even after the top 20) that turn into superstars of Kovalchuk's stature, especially at the forward position.  So I wouldn't get my hopes up on any forward pick after the first round.  Superficially, Sokolov appears to have a similar resume to Valentin Zykov, who hasn't done much in the AHL thus far. 

Haha Zykov was a guy I was dying for the Devils to take with the 2013 2nd round pick

On 6/2/2016 at 3:21 AM, Marshall said:

Do you think he'll be drafted?

I think 5th Round is a reasonable expectation for him in this draft, 48 points in 50+ games for a 20 year old is a tough sell, but in 2014 a lot of people were big fans of his skill set. I think someone takes him on as a reclamation project.

Re: Sokolov, I think I'd feel more comfortable with him in the 3rd round. I think my #1 choice right now in the 2nd round is for Adam Mascherin to fall for us at #41, real Kyle Palmieri type forward.

4 hours ago, SMantzas said:

1st: Nylander (dream), Keller, Jost, Brown

2nd: Girard, Dineen, Steel, Fox, DeBrincat,, Benson

Great list... matches mine almost 100%

Ive seen a few mocks have us taking McLeod with our 1st.... would not be happy with that pick at all.

*Anyone see much of Jordan Kyrou? He's looked good in the little ive seen of him trying to watch Zacha... wouldnt mind him for our 2nd although i have no idea if thats anywhere near where hes projected to go. 

Edited by Toasterleavins
Kyrou

11th: Jost, Keller, Sergachev, Chychrun, Juolevi, Brown - One will be available 100%

41st: Adam Mascherin, Lucas Johansen, Janne Kuokkanen, Taylor Raddysh, Noah Gregor, Cameron Morrison

73rd and 77th: Vladimir Kuznetsov, Dmitri Sokolov, Dylan Gambrell, David Quenneville

I could type up a very comprehensive list, but those are players that I find interesting at those respective picks. David Quenneville is JQ's younger brother, kinda compare him to a Torey Krug type defenseman.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Great list... matches mine almost 100%

Ive seen a few mocks have us taking McLeod with our 1st.... would not be happy with that pick at all.

*Anyone see much of Jordan Kyrou? He's looked good in the little ive seen of him trying to watch Zacha... wouldnt mind him for our 2nd although i have no idea if thats anywhere near where hes projected to go. 

I see Kyrou as more of a 3rd rounder, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 2nd round, a lot of people like his game as well.

• Like 1

Ya, I wouldn't mind Sergachev or Chychrun either. Bellows would be a bit of a bummer but not based on skill, just positional need. NJ can't afford to draft another LW since they have Cammalleri, Boucher, Zacha, Blandisi. McCleod, Gauthier or Jones would be real bummers tho

12 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

I'll take a sniper. who has the best wrist shot in the 10 to 15 pick range??... we need guys who can bury it when it on their stick

Tyson Jost has the 2nd best shot in this draft behind Laine imo, so that's who you should be hoping for based on that criteria.

Jost ahead of Matthews? I admittedly don't know as much about this draft class as you do, but I was under the impression that Matthews and Laine were pretty close as far as shot goes.

Also, what are people's opinions on Chychrun? Many people aren't so high on him anymore and I was wondering why.

I'd be very happy if Chychrun fell to us, but I doubt he will.  Jost may not be there as well. If Keller & Jost are both there, I prefer Keller.  All that I've read about him

is he's more likely to be a pro than some of the others. I watch highlights & I'm enamored with lots of players. Some of us might be disappointed with our pick, but we gotta trust Castron/Shero . Lots of folks don't want McLeod for some reason. Not sure why. He might be a better pro than expected. Tough call 

If Nylander gets past Calgary, I hope Shero dangles one of our thirds to try and move up a few spaces.  A team like Arizona that wants to go defense might be willing to slide down.   

I think item #2 in the article below is interesting.  It someone in the 5-10 range reaches for Brown early, that really makes getting one of Nylander/Keller more realistic.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/10-takeaways-2016-nhl-scouting-combine/

Edited by Lateralous

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I'm seeing more and more mock drafts with us taking McLeod. Is he really all that bad? Everything I read about him says he should be a 1c.

McCleod is very fast and people like his skills, but he put up disappointing numbers for his skill set.

• Like 1