Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

Girardi gives his all for the Rangers every night and has since he's gotten to the NHL but they are going to have a hard time winning with him getting major minutes unless they really upgrade the offense somehow.  Sather's gone, but his best quality was finding people to swindle when his players were going down the toilet; I'll still never know how he got Calgary to take Ales Kotalik.

If the Rangers find a way to fix that they may once again be one of the best teams in the East.  But right now they are a leaky sieve and Lundqvist won't be able to save them.

Pretty solid assessment of the Rangers Derek.

Yeah, the Rangers have reached the point where it's not really about having the best regular season numbers anymore (including their record)...it's about putting together the best possible playoff team.  Though some fanbases will obviously be envious of where the Rangers are now (and have been for the past batch of seasons), going deep into the playoffs is probably starting to feel like old news to Ranger fans.

Have the Rangers had to even face anyone that was really good yet? I know they have two losses: One to us, the other to the Canadiens.They've only played like  good teams and have benefitted, as usual, from being at home a lot and playing good teams when they're in the midst of a slump.

Have the Rangers had to even face anyone that was really good yet? I know they have two losses: One to us, the other to the Canadiens.They've only played like good teams and have benefitted, as usual, from being at home a lot and playing good teams when they're in the midst of a slump.

Hawks and Blues come to mind.

There have been rumors of Matt Duschene being shopped, and a few talking head types have noted that the Devils are a logical trading partner (but note that they don't say the Devils are involved).

I think the asking price would be too high in that Larsson or Severson would have to go the other way. Duschene is really good, but it's very hard to have a good young defense that can all be locked up for a long time at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might consider severson

Girardi gives his all for the Rangers every night and has since he's gotten to the NHL but they are going to have a hard time winning with him getting major minutes unless they really upgrade the offense somehow.  Sather's gone, but his best quality was finding people to swindle when his players were going down the toilet; I'll still never know how he got Calgary to take Ales Kotalik.

If the Rangers find a way to fix that they may once again be one of the best teams in the East.  But right now they are a leaky sieve and Lundqvist won't be able to save them.

Have you seen Lundqvist much? It's some of the best hockey I've ever seen him play. As for Danny G, his game has picked up since a bad start. Had a real strong game tonight. My second one. Zuccarello's performance has been the standout. Three more points including the winner with under a minute left vs Leafs. 12 points over last 8 including three 3-point games. He's emerged into their top skater. It makes me wonder if they could've gone all the way last year with him. I bet they get past Tampa with Zucc. Hawks are a different story. Hard to say.

Hawks and Blues come to mind.

When they face better teams, they step it up. The Caps too. They scored 5 on like 22 shots while Lundqvist stoned the Caps who dominated large portions. Puck possession wise. They haven't been great. But they get the big saves and are strong on the PK. And timely scoring. I feel like this team always steps it up when they face the league's best. When they play lesser teams (Sens, Leafs), they play down to competition. But this was a back-to-back. And they never play Toronto well. Can't explain it. Bernier is a sieve. He gave up a 100 footer to Stepan. Ron Francis-esque.

Food for thought. In Saturday's 2-1 shootout win at Ottawa, Sens antagonist Zack Smith delivered a dangerous cheap shot to Stepan. Shoulder to chin with head contact from the blind side. It was called a 2-minute interference minor...Kreider immediately stepped up for his fallen teammate and rag dolled Smith. They gave him instigator and a misconduct. In instances like that, the instigator makes no sense. That was justice. But the idea that it was a 2-minute penalty only is ridiculous. Judge for yourself:

http://newyorkpuck.com/2015/11/15/smith-hit-to-stepan-was-dirty/

A hearing for Smith tomorrow with the Dept. Of Player Safety. Stepan returned to the game and played Sunday. Very lucky. Went to the locker room for testing.

It might be (I think he's been as good in the past, just not to start the season and he hasn't gotten this type of goalsupport) but a .950 goaltender he ain't.

He have new type of skates. Which he can move faster on the ice, they have a better attacgment to the ice and no need to have the same angle to the ice as before.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article21769516.ab

Edited by hrasvalg

He have new type of skates. Which he can move faster on the ice, they have a better attacgment to the ice and no need to have the same angle to the ice as before.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article21769516.ab

I know. And I don't believe that would turn a career .921 goalie into a .950. He's had stretches like this before. 

CT7ALxBW4AE4SwG.png

Edited by Marshall

Food for thought. In Saturday's 2-1 shootout win at Ottawa, Sens antagonist Zack Smith delivered a dangerous cheap shot to Stepan. Shoulder to chin with head contact from the blind side. It was called a 2-minute interference minor...Kreider immediately stepped up for his fallen teammate and rag dolled Smith. They gave him instigator and a misconduct. In instances like that, the instigator makes no sense. That was justice. But the idea that it was a 2-minute penalty only is ridiculous. Judge for yourself:

http://newyorkpuck.com/2015/11/15/smith-hit-to-stepan-was-dirty/

A hearing for Smith tomorrow with the Dept. Of Player Safety. Stepan returned to the game and played Sunday. Very lucky. Went to the locker room for testing.

Watching it in live action, it doesn't seem so bad, so I can understand the 2 minutes. But definitely warrants a look by Player Safety, Smith's eyes are not focused on the puck, he was going after Stepan.

As for the fight after: I hate the instigator rule but objectively speaking, it was correctly applied here. Easy for Kreider to get a lot of blows on Smith because he wasn't ready, barely had his gloves off by the time Kreider threw the first punch. Smith is also already going to the penalty box so it's not like it was something that wasn't called.

On the flipside, from a fan and team perspective, Kreider did the right thing. There needs to be more standing up for your teammates in situations like this (like when Kreider runs your goalie).

I saw someone on HF mention Malkin to Nashville for Weber... I doubt something like that ever happens for many reasons, not least amongst them cap reasons, but damn if that trade doesn't make sense on paper...

Wow, that's as good a trade as any. Nashville's defensive depth can cope with losing Shea Weber, and Weber would be a game-changer on Pittsburgh's D.

I hope this never happens hahaha

If I'm Nashville I'd do that in a heartbeat. Weber has been overrated for some time and he's about to enter the ugly years sooner than people think. Malkin is somewhat in a similar position age-wise but I'd feel a lot better with him than Weber even if you factor in the increased cap hit. Plus they really need a real 1C if they're gonna compete in the west and their window is now. 

If I'm Nashville I'd do that in a heartbeat. Weber has been overrated for some time and he's about to enter the ugly years sooner than people think. Malkin is somewhat in a similar position age-wise but I'd feel a lot better with him than Weber even if you factor in the increased cap hit. Plus they really need a real 1C if they're gonna compete in the west and their window is now.

Agreed, I'd do that deal all day long on Nashville's end.

Per Elliotte Friedman, Travis Hamonic kinda/sorta requested a trade, but doesn't sound quite like an ultimatum. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/

Obviously the Devils aren't trading for him, but I suppose it could have some effect if Shero were looking to make a splash and land one of the big forwards who get speculated about being available.  Hamonic is probably more valuable than any defenseman the Devils could offer in a trade, or at least I get the sense that's the perception of him around the league.  I mean, if McDavid were healthy, I think the Isles could probably trade Hamonic/Barzal and something else for someone like Taylor Hall, although I suppose that Chiarellla is scared of getting fleeced again.  A deal like that could maybe land someone like Duchene.

Per Elliotte Friedman, Travis Hamonic kinda/sorta requested a trade, but doesn't sound quite like an ultimatum.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/

Obviously the Devils aren't trading for him, but I suppose it could have some effect if Shero were looking to make a splash and land one of the big forwards who get speculated about being available. Hamonic is probably more valuable than any defenseman the Devils could offer in a trade, or at least I get the sense that's the perception of him around the league. I mean, if McDavid were healthy, I think the Isles could probably trade Hamonic/Barzal and something else for someone like Taylor Hall, although I suppose that Chiarellla is scared of getting fleeced again. A deal like that could maybe land someone like Duchene.

Where do I sign if I'm Edmonton or Colorado there. I'd love to get Hamonic. It sounds like he's just trying to get home, and Winnipeg probably has the pieces to get this done. I know a lot of people are high on Bufyglien, but if I'm personally Winnipeg's GM, I'd try to do something with him going to the isles. Who knows if that's something snow would be interested in.

I kind of find it interesting that he's requesting just to be sent to one side of a big country. If I'm in his shoes and I'm trying to get traded back here, I'm probably pissed if I end up in buffalo or Raleigh. I don't know a lot about western Canada, but I suppose I do hear it talked about singularly as a cultural region, though.

It's also interesting to me that the isles players all seemed to stay out in long island and are making that commute. Do you guys think new players will end up living in or around Brooklyn, or is this an intentional set up?

Hamonic requested a deal prior to the year per Dreger. Friedman broke it. He has a family situation and wants to go home. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton (possible top suitor) and Vancouver are the targets. Isles want a comparable shutdown D back. Good luck with that.

Waiver eligible, so no. Most likely O'Neill (who would also have to clear waivers, but is way less likely to be claimed).

not before clearing waivers. And he will very likely be picked up

I realise he has a one way contract but at what point do the team give up with him? He is pretty much dead weight at this point and it's a wasted roster spot.

And what happens when Elias comes back?

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9