New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

8 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cammo is done for the year. Just got an NHL.com alert.

I figured, probably safer to shut him down.  Hopefully he can rehab the wrist or get the surgery done over the summer.  I think last season was the healthiest we'll see Cammy. 

18 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Blake Pietila COME ON DOWN!

Wearing no. 56...

I miss Lou's numbers. Too many random digits.

One thing I didn't like about Lou's numbers is that he'd quickly but familiar numbers on random guys, and sometimes different call ups during the same season had the same number given to them. I mean one year Sergei Brylin is here as good ol #18...the next year Bergfors is 18.

36 minutes ago, '7' said:

One thing I didn't like about Lou's numbers is that he'd quickly but familiar numbers on random guys, and sometimes different call ups during the same season had the same number given to them. I mean one year Sergei Brylin is here as good ol #18...the next year Bergfors is 18.

Yeah, that was an issue...occasionally.  But I agree, the higher numbers is weird and hard to get used to just as it was seeing multiple guys share the same number throughout the season.   At least with Lou's system and no one wearing anything above 30 there was some consistency, and it just made guys concentrate more on the game and being a team.  No sense people having an annoying sense of entitlement and ego feeling that their number is special and that they should be recognized by it rather than playing for pride for the logo on the front.

Side note, and non-roster related (we don't have a generic Devils season thread, do we?), it's crazy to think that, if Philly loses their next game, we're just 6 points out of a playoff spot.  That's 3 wins.  If we didn't lose that game at the end in the 3rd against Columbus just 4 days ago, it's potentially 2 wins.  When you think back on the rest of the season and the other 70-some games that have been played, you know there were at least a handful if not a dozen or so missed opportunities.  As bad as this team has looked at times, and despite the fact that the roster, on paper, still isn't the most talented, this team really could be a playoff contender.  Especially if you consider what if Cory hadn't gotten hurt a few weeks ago.  Not saying they'd make any splash in the playoffs, but as we near the end of the season it's tough to see us on the bubble again, and you start to ponder the what-ifs.  All it would have taken is one or two more breaks here or there, and we're literally tied for the last spot.  *sigh*

Edited by NJDfan1711

5 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Wearing no. 56...

Lou's numbers played hell with scorers and anyone who tries to make sense of NHL scoresheets.  I'm not upset to see them go.

41 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Lou's numbers played hell with scorers and anyone who tries to make sense of NHL scoresheets.  I'm not upset to see them go.

Oh c'mon, really?  For one, it's only 30 numbers, and two, of those 30, there's only 20 players or so wearing a jersey on a given night, and really, of those 20, how many were marginal players being called up and down and constantly switching numbers?  It probably seemed like a lot, but in reality it happened over a huge sample size of time (i.e. Lou's 30 year tenure with the team), and it really only started to peak the last 5 years or so when the team was bad and constantly shuffling guys up and down between NHL and AHL.  Back in the day, we had a roster of mainstays and numbers hardly ever changed.   

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh c'mon, really?  For one, it's only 30 numbers, and two, of those 30, there's only 20 players or so wearing a jersey on a given night, and really, of those 20, how many were marginal players being called up and down and constantly switching numbers?  It probably seemed like a lot, but in reality it happened over a huge sample size of time (i.e. Lou's 30 year tenure with the team), and it really only started to peak the last 5 years or so when the team was bad and constantly shuffling guys up and down between NHL and AHL.  Back in the day, we had a roster of mainstays and numbers hardly ever changed.   

Back in the day, the Devils had no retired skater numbers.  Now they have 3.  That changes things considerably when you have an NHL roster of 21 skaters, plus he didn't allow 13, so there's one more number gone.  In addition, back in the day there was usually a player with a high number already on the roster - Jagr was a recent one, but before that you have to go back to Mogilny in 2006.  If you don't have a high number guy on the roster and you go with 21 skaters, under the Lou method you only have 24 numbers to choose from, so it means once you have 3 callups either you're going above 30 or you're re-assinging numbers.

Tim Sestito ended up wearing 4 different numbers as a Devil.  That's ridiculous.  It was a fine policy but it had outlived whatever usefulness it had.

Edited by Triumph

9 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Wearing no. 56...

I wonder where Pietila is going to play.  The guy isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut who we would want to try him out in the top 6.  I'm hearing comparisons to John Madden and Sarge from some other fans, so I'm excited to see him debut.  

EDIT: Answered my own wondering, He's playing with Kalinin and Sislo on the 3rd line per TG.

Edited by RizzMB30

20 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, that was an issue...occasionally.  But I agree, the higher numbers is weird and hard to get used to just as it was seeing multiple guys share the same number throughout the season.   At least with Lou's system and no one wearing anything above 30 there was some consistency, and it just made guys concentrate more on the game and being a team.  No sense people having an annoying sense of entitlement and ego feeling that their number is special and that they should be recognized by it rather than playing for pride for the logo on the front.

You're over reacting. It's the exact opposite. The players are wearing their high training camp numbers. They don't get to choose a number until they earn a permanent spot. I'm sure Blandisi will have a normal number when training camp comes around this year. 

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You're over reacting. It's the exact opposite. The players are wearing their high training camp numbers. They don't get to choose a number until they earn a permanent spot. I'm sure Blandisi will have a normal number when training camp comes around this year. 

He wore 9 in Albany, 10 in Barrie. 64 seems so damn strange.

15 hours ago, Triumph said:

Back in the day, the Devils had no retired skater numbers.  Now they have 3.  That changes things considerably when you have an NHL roster of 21 skaters, plus he didn't allow 13, so there's one more number gone.  In addition, back in the day there was usually a player with a high number already on the roster - Jagr was a recent one, but before that you have to go back to Mogilny in 2006.  If you don't have a high number guy on the roster and you go with 21 skaters, under the Lou method you only have 24 numbers to choose from, so it means once you have 3 callups either you're going above 30 or you're re-assinging numbers.

Tim Sestito ended up wearing 4 different numbers as a Devil.  That's ridiculous.  It was a fine policy but it had outlived whatever usefulness it had.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me, or disagreeing, or just making a statement....but that was EXACTLY my point.  Given the number of players on an active roster and the available numbers to choose from, or lack thereof, you would have thought number switching and re-assigning would have happened WAY more, but it really didn't.  I really don't see how a very, VERY below average role player like Tim Sestito wearing 4 numbers is ridiculous.  The guy was a damn yo-yo, he was probably called up and sent down a million times over the course of several seasons, so it just stands to reason that he's going to get whatever random number is available.  

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Did you mean to quote me?  What am I over-reacting to? lol   I understand guys may be wearing numbers they didn't necessarily want or choose, but I also don't know that they'll switch to a lower one if given the choice.  Plus, I still think there are guys who are picking their own higher random numbers.  He's not with us anymore, but Gelinas was a guy who immediately went to something above 30 (44).  Plus, look at some of the guys who still haven't earned a permanent spot with the club who ARE using numbers below 30 -- Farnham, Boucher, etc, so that theory doesn't really hold up.

Back in 12-13 season, didn't Josefson start the season with #16, got either hurt or demoted and in that time we traded for D'Agostini who then wore #16 and when Josefson came back later that year he had to wear #9?

I, for one, am sort of glad Lou's number rules are gone.  I think fans make a bigger deal out of thinking players are spending all this time thinking and worrying about it than the players actually are.

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Back in 12-13 season, didn't Josefson start the season with #16, got either hurt or demoted and in that time we traded for D'Agostini who then wore #16 and when Josefson came back later that year he had to wear #9?

I, for one, am sort of glad Lou's number rules are gone.  I think fans make a bigger deal out of thinking players are spending all this time thinking and worrying about it than the players actually are.

Yeah I think you're right - I don't know if it was D'Agostini who took his number, but Josefson definitely wore 9 for one reason or another.

I don't think the players are really thinking about their jersey choice much if at all, but my point was even that two second initial decision when they first pick the number is a little important -- just the idea of knowing you choose something from 1-30 because all guys are supposed to be equal, not in terms of skill of course, but what they're trying to accomplish and their goals and support as players and teammates.  

Bottom line for me is that I'm not super upset or angry that the policy was dismissed, but I just thought it was kind of cool, and certainly unique (if we were in fact the only team employing that rule)

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Did you mean to quote me?  What am I over-reacting to? lol   I understand guys may be wearing numbers they didn't necessarily want or choose, but I also don't know that they'll switch to a lower one if given the choice.  Plus, I still think there are guys who are picking their own higher random numbers.  He's not with us anymore, but Gelinas was a guy who immediately went to something above 30 (44).  Plus, look at some of the guys who still haven't earned a permanent spot with the club who ARE using numbers below 30 -- Farnham, Boucher, etc, so that theory doesn't really hold up.

Yes I did mean to quote you. Boucher was already on the roster for opening night wearing 12. Blandisi, Mozik, Sislo, etc, are all wearing the same numbers they were assigned in camp. As they get called up, they are being assigned numbers. Not choosing. 

Other than Gelinas choosing 44, no one else seems to purposely being "above the logo on the front". 

Training camp roster :

http://devils.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=779442

Edited by Devil Dan 56

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I think you're right - I don't know if it was D'Agostini who took his number, but Josefson definitely wore 9 for one reason or another.

I don't think the players are really thinking about their jersey choice much if at all, but my point was even that two second initial decision when they first pick the number is a little important -- just the idea of knowing you choose something from 1-30 because all guys are supposed to be equal, not in terms of skill of course, but what they're trying to accomplish and their goals and support as players and teammates.  

Bottom line for me is that I'm not super upset or angry that the policy was dismissed, but I just thought it was kind of cool, and certainly unique (if we were in fact the only team employing that rule)

Ottawa enforced a "no high numbers" rule in 97-98...basically no one was supposed to have a number over 35...Stan Neckar had to give up his 94 for 22, Radek Bonk went from 76 to 14, and Alexandre Daigle went from 91 to 9.  There were a few exceptions, but the few players wearing higher numbers (38, 42, and 48) only played a combined 14 games that season. 

The "higher-but-still non-distinctive numbers" issued seemed to apply to call-up-types only, with just about everyone else's numbers at 40 or less, up until 2006-07...Mike Comrie was allowed to wear 89, and then other guys started wearing higher numbers after that.  Not sure if anyone else actively enforced a lower-numbers-only rule. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yes I did mean to quote you. Boucher was already on the roster for opening night wearing 12. Blandisi, Mozik, Sislo, etc, are all wearing the same numbers they were assigned in camp. As they get called up, they are being assigned numbers. Not choosing. 

Other than Gelinas choosing 44, no one else seems to purposely being "above the logo on the front". 

Training camp roster :

http://devils.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=779442

Gotcha.  Well, that's cool then that even though the "rule" isn't in place anymore, guys still seem to be following I guess lol.  :)

21 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Im 99% sure he said he chose 64 because 6+4 = 10. 

he joked about it to the other players and TG caught it. They asked why his equipment bag said 10 (it was from Juniors) and he dropped the 6+4. Hell, 10 is still available. He was assigned 64 in camp and that's what he's wearing now.

• Like 1

Locks

31 yrs Travis Zajac C

34 yrs Mike Cammalleri LW

25 yrs Adam Henrique C

24 yrs Kyle Palmieri RW (RFA)

24 yrs Devante Smith-Pelley RW (RFA)

25 yrs Jacob Josefson C (RFA)

Likely

25 yrs Sergei Kalinen C/LW/RW (RFA)

23 yrs Reid Boucher RW (RFA)

22 yrs Joseph Blandisi LW

27 yrs Bobby Farnham LW (UFA)

30 yrs Tyler Kennedy RW/LW (UFA)

Bubble

19 yrs Pavel Zacha C/LW

20 yrs John Quenneville C/LW

28 yrs Mike Sislo RW (UFA_

23 yrs Blake Pietila RW

25 yrs Blake Coleman RW/LW

23 yrs Nick Lappin RW

Cammalleri - Henrique - Boucher

Blandisi - Zajac - Palmieri

Versteeg - Zacha - Smith-Pelly

- Josefson - 

This is something I am interested in seeing next year. i want a possession player like Versteeg on Zacha's wing for his first year. As good as Smith-Pelley has been he is a possession hole and If someone like Lappin can push him down to the 4th line i'd be ecstatic.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

18 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Locks

31 yrs Travis Zajac C

34 yrs Mike Cammalleri LW

25 yrs Adam Henrique C

24 yrs Kyle Palmieri RW (RFA)

24 yrs Devante Smith-Pelley RW (RFA)

25 yrs Jacob Josefson C (RFA)

Likely

25 yrs Sergei Kalinen C/LW/RW (RFA)

23 yrs Reid Boucher RW (RFA)

22 yrs Joseph Blandisi LW

27 yrs Bobby Farnham LW (UFA)

30 yrs Tyler Kennedy RW/LW (UFA)

Bubble

19 yrs Pavel Zacha C/LW

20 yrs John Quenneville C/LW

28 yrs Mike Sislo RW (UFA_

23 yrs Blake Pietila RW

25 yrs Blake Coleman RW/LW

23 yrs Nick Lappin RW

Cammalleri - Henrique - Boucher

Blandisi - Zajac - Palmieri

Versteeg - Zacha - Smith-Pelly

- Josefson - 

This is something I am interested in seeing next year. i want a possession player like Versteeg on Zacha's wing for his first year. As good as Smith-Pelley has been he is a possession hole and If someone like Lappin can push him down to the 4th line i'd be ecstatic.

I think I'd prefer Zacha get top 6 time, if you're gonna keep him give him the best chance to succeed so you know what you got. I would prefer something along the lines of:

Cammalleri - Henrique - Blandisi
Zacha - Zajac - Palmieri
Boucher - Josefson - Smith-Pelly/UFA
Kalinin - Whatever - Whatever/Smith-Pelly

Edited by CommonDreads