TG Leaving the Record

Daniel

TG kept us immersed in everyday stuff. Line rushes (lines) during practice, and constant updates on prospects camp. He had to be a fan. I was also surprised at some of the idiotic tweets he received, yet he answered them anyway.  I doubt Shero would ever get involved in something like this, but with print newspapers slowly dying, there won't be many candidates out there. Could be wrong. 

It is amazing how much great talent has left us over the years...and the one awful guy who I wish would get off the TV already with his hoarse barking voice (Dano) will seemingly be here forever.

No disrespect to Daneyko the person, he's just terrible at his job.

Just now, '7' said:

It is amazing how much great talent has left us over the years...and the one awful guy who I wish would get off the TV already with his hoarse barking voice (Dano) will seemingly be here forever.

I really don't care about how hoarse Dano's voice is, and I find it incredibly odd that people have an opinion about that. 

If you want to argue that he is often wrong and nearly never says the right thing at the right time, you'd have a better argument.

But in my opinion Cangialosi is way worse. He frequently misses things that are obvious, calls out the wrong player's name (especially with the goalies, he'll call out one team's goalie's name in place of the other frequently), constantly misses penalties or thinks they are on the wrong team. Just awful. 

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

Both of them are more or less fine, although my standards maybe are a little lower when it comes to play-by-play and color.  For play-by-play, just don't be annoying and don't get that much wrong.  In other words, don't ruin the experience for me like John Sterling does with the awful canned homerun calls.  For color commentary, just know what you're talking about and don't say things that everyone knows all the time (that Alex Ovechkin can really score goals). 

For my money though, I think Sherry Ross does a great job with color commentary. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I really don't care about how hoarse Dano's voice is, and I find it incredibly odd that people have an opinion about that. 

If you want to argue that he is often wrong and nearly never says the right thing at the right time, you'd have a better argument.

But in my opinion Cangialosi is way worse. He frequently misses things that are obvious, calls out the wrong player's name (especially with the goalies, he'll call out one team's goalie's name in place of the other frequently), constantly misses penalties or thinks they are on the wrong team. Just awful. 

Agreed.  I've never found Dano to be annoying and if his voice is in fact hoarse, I don't notice it or let it bother me.  It's weird, because I always thought Doc was an amazing announcer, and I always knew he was special and better than almost any other team's crew, but we never really saw it come to light and in the public until he was picked to be the National NBC guy, and now he's a household name in the broadcasting avenue.   Even with how great he was though, with big shoes to fill, I still don't find Cangiolosi to be that bad either.  I guess it was probably more Doc's personality and emotion that I liked most, rather than his actual commentary and what not, because I don't notice or care about Steve's mishaps or things he gets or says wrong.  I'm probably way too focused on the actual game and play to notice or care about the verbal dialogue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm probably way too focused on the actual game and play to notice or care about the verbal dialogue.

Dialogue is one thing, but I am also focused on the game, that's why I know he's wrong when he constantly misses penalties and calls out the wrong names, because I saw the play. I always wonder what the heck he was looking at. 

The chatter and colloquy is what it is, that never phases me and I mostly ignore it.

I'll close by saying that anyone who thinks Dano should be replaced has no respect for the history of this franchise. The guy IS the Devils, he gets to stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

I'm definitely a fan. 

Edited by mfitz804

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dialogue is one thing, but I am also focused on the game, that's why I know he's wrong when he constantly misses penalties and calls out the wrong names, because I saw the play. I always wonder what the heck he was looking at. 

The chatter and colloquy is what it is, that never phases me and I mostly ignore it.

I'll close by saying that anyone who thinks Dano should be replaced has no respect for the history of this franchise. The guy IS the Devils, he gets to stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned.

I'm definitely a fan. 

Ah, the old "If you want Marty out of the goal, you aren't a Devils fan" retread. By this logic, Mac should also have never been fired as coach because he got us into the playoffs for the first time ever and won a cup with us.

In just the past 2 games alone, Dano went on dumb rants about a major that needed to be called [he said it shouldn't have] and a minor that wasn't called [when there was clearly no penalty]. Dano's ramblings add nothing to the game and you can hear how disinterested he is at times.

As for back on topic, I hope they find someone to keep fan interest in the Devils like TG was able to provide. Chere is awful and there is zero chance in hell I'll be following Todd Cordell to get my "info."

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Ah, the old "If you want Marty out of the goal, you aren't a Devils fan" retread. By this logic, Mac should also have never been fired as coach because he got us into the playoffs for the first time ever and won a cup with us.

The three things don't even compare. Marty and Mac affected the team's performance, Dano is a commentator. That is quite a stupid analogy. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

The three things don't even compare. Marty and Mac affected the team's performance, Dano is a commentator. That is quite a stupid analogy. 

So is the blanket statement of "You don't respect the team if you don't like the color commentator"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That's not what I said. 

You absolutely did, "I'll close by saying that anyone who thinks Dano should be replaced has no respect for the history of this franchise. The guy IS the Devils, he gets to stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned."

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You absolutely did, "I'll close by saying that anyone who thinks Dano should be replaced has no respect for the history of this franchise. The guy IS the Devils, he gets to stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned."

Read what I said, then read what you said. Then ask an adult what the difference is. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm definitely a fan. 

Don't quite understand the "If you want Dano replaced, you don't respect the history of the franchise" link.  I'm actually pretty indifferent to Dano's on-air work, but he's been iffy overall...he's not gifted with a great voice (some find it harsh), he's not terribly articulate, and some of his commentary seems to be at odds with what everyone else is seeing.  The sound of his voice can't be changed, but the big question is how much can he really improve on his deficiencies?  I'm not saying that it's impossible (if he's willing to work very hard at it), but I don't see a great color guy waiting to come out...I think Daneyko is what he is:  a convenient in-house option who gets away with some obvious limitations because he was a very popular and fondly remembered ex-Devil.  That's part of the reason many (though not all) fans were able to overlook some of Chico's on-air shortcomings, but let's face it, so far Dano has felt like a downgrade from Chico.  

Anyway, I don't think Dano being a celebrated ex-Devil means he should automatically keep the color gig for as long as he wants it...especially if he's not really that good at it.  The one thing I'll say in his defense is that it's not like there's tons of awesome color guys out there waiting to take his place.  I do think he needs to show some serious improvement next season though.  

And on-topic, best of luck to TC, but very sorry to see him go.  Very big loss and who knows if we ever see someone who can fill a similar role, let alone do it as well as TC did.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

He's definitely a downgrade from Chico, there's no doubt about that and there is no shame in that. But I personally like the idea of the color guy having such a longstanding link to the team. Chico had that too, and I'd have said the same thing about him. And honestly, there's s long standing tradition of the color guy being a former player with that kind of insight rather than being done smooth talking tv personality, that's true of many teams in many sports. 

Moreover, if they want to make over the booth, they should focus on getting someone better to call the game. I think Cangialosi is just as bad if not worse, and his role is far more important than the color guy. 

On 4/1/2016 at 10:39 AM, mfitz804 said:

Well if I'm listening to a color commentator, I would like that he at least has a pleasing voice. That's actually a job requirement. Chico was a bit goofy but at least he was fun/interesting to listen to and didn't sound like he was gargling with gravel. And he was a bigtime homer too which was nice.

That said he's probably not going anywhere and once the Devils start winning more regularly we'll be less concerned with these issues as a whole.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1