Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

I think while they may go backwards this year having that cap hit go way I think benefits them in the long run, losing Nash after this year leaves them with even more space.  Those guys aren't playing at a level anywhere near costs.  So I don't think they need to replace them with superstars just more of a pay for what you get model. 

I disagree, though Nash may be nearing his end as a useful player quite soon.  Replacing those players through the free agent market or through trades could prove difficult.  

Panarin is better but he is a UFA in 2 years, Hawks now have Saad under contract for the next 4, I don't mind that move for Chicago. Hate to say it but I thought the Rangers made a pretty smart trade to get out of the Stepan deal, that was a pretty bad contract, and trading Raanta was good asset management. Since every second fvcking free agent wants to sign there they will have no trouble spending the saved cap money on a good player.

5 hours ago, Triumph said:

I disagree, though Nash may be nearing his end as a useful player quite soon.  Replacing those players through the free agent market or through trades could prove difficult.  

Agreed it coujd but that group also has proven over and over they couldn't get over the hump.  I think Stephan's contract was brutal. I don't think Shattenkirk did himself any favors. Somebody is going to overpay anyway, let it be them.

12 minutes ago, sokar said:

I wonder if the are hiring Ruff so if they fire Vigneault they already have a coach in place.  I think the Blues did that this year

Maybe - but the Blues were definitely losing Hitch at the end of the season; whereas, the NYR just extended Vigneault for 2 more years with an annual increase of $2 million, if I remember correctly. 

I would love to have his experience behind the bench with our club...

3 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Maybe - but the Blues were definitely losing Hitch at the end of the season; whereas, the NYR just extended Vigneault for 2 more years with an annual increase of $2 million, if I remember correctly. 

I would love to have his experience behind the bench with our club...

Maybe the Devils will go out and hire Dave Tippett 

On 6/24/2017 at 6:52 PM, sokar said:

Maybe the Devils will go out and hire Dave Tippett 

Isn't Tippett known to be a disaster with young guys?   Last thing we need right now is DeBoer 2.0 

I know we'll probably never see anything like Hall/Larsson, Weber/Subban, Stamkos signing all within 20 minutes again but hopefully we see a few big deals this week.   Despite what Sakic says publicly, he has to move Duchene now, right?