2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

So was Lappin legit waved or is he going to clear waivers to go to Bing? Stafford is probably going to get a 1yr deal just in case someone goes down.... I'd rather they look at Zach Smith instead. 

He was only waived, not on unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout/termination 

At this point I don't think there's any chance we ever see McLeod suit up for us.  I'm really disappointed this guy hasn't hit the ice yet, and it doesn't appear he will this year either, unless there's a ton of injuries.  I think there's a chance we see him moved this year in a trade, and while I would have been upset and pissed if that happened a few years ago, I think it might be best to try to get something for him from someone else who sees value and potential in him.

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

At this point I don't think there's any chance we ever see McLeod suit up for us.  I'm really disappointed this guy hasn't hit the ice yet, and it doesn't appear he will this year either, unless there's a ton of injuries.  I think there's a chance we see him moved this year in a trade, and while I would have been upset and pissed if that happened a few years ago, I think it might be best to try to get something for him from someone else who sees value and potential in him.

Dude, he's 20 years old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Dude, he's 20 years old.

I know. I keep telling myself that, but it seems like the same thing was said about guys like Josefson and Tedenby.  Hell, you could almost make the case for Zacha too.  It just seems like some of these young guys who were taken relatively high just aren't panning out.  I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit, I just don't have a great feeling about it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I know. I keep telling myself that, but it seems like the same thing was said about guys like Josefson and Tedenby.  Hell, you could almost make the case for Zacha too.  It just seems like some of these young guys who were taken relatively high just aren't panning out.  I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit, I just don't have a great feeling about it.

there's also nowhere to put him right now in NJ.

i hate using lou-isms but when you have time, use it. there is no rush for mcleod and he can go down to bingo and center a good first line and play 18 minutes a game. what's the point to have him be the 12th or 13th forward here or play a 4th line role. mcleod has plenty of chances left. guys like lapping and quennville - they're the ones really running out of chances and they're just about at sh!t or get off the pot territory.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The same thing was said about Larsson. And the good news... Bratt and Nico are also very young and will also be getting even better. 

Some food for thought, and in no way a comparison, just for perspective, but here was Parise's rookie stat line at 21-22 years old: 

81 games, 14 goals, 18 assists, 32 points. 

Not saying either Zacha or McLeod will turn into anything like that. I'm just saying there's time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't say that I'm a huge believer in McLeod either, but at the same time, I need to see him get a full season with Bingo and getting significant minutes there before truly starting to give up on him.  We were never going to learn anything about him from his OHL numbers.  This season is really the beginning.

sundstrom's post was dead-on...McLeod needs at least one season in the AHL, maybe two, playing top-line minutes.  And yeah, a soon-to-be-26 Lappin and a four-years-since-he-was-drafted Q are the ones who are shorter on chances at this point. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Just take a step back from the ledge.  It's going to be ok.

As others have said, the kid is 20 and played juniors last year.  While I understand where you are coming from and, personally, was not a huge fan the trade/pick when it was made, you have to give him time to develop.  A full season in the AHL should be good for him to get used to the speed of the game, playing against bigger/stronger players, and rounding out his game.  

Q needs to make this team and start producing in the NHL this year.  To a certain extent, Zacha needs to start driving the play and putting up real numbers as well, especially if he is going to be trotted out as our 2C every night.  I would worry more about those guys than McLeod.  

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

The same thing was said about Larsson. And the good news... Bratt and Nico are also very young and will also be getting even better. 

Some food for thought, and in no way a comparison, just for perspective, but here was Parise's rookie stat line at 21-22 years old: 

81 games, 14 goals, 18 assists, 32 points

Not saying either Zacha or McLeod will turn into anything like that. I'm just saying there's time. 

It took an end-of-season surge for Zach just to get to those numbers...he finished with 10 points in his final 14 GP.  Through 67 games that year, he had 8 goals and 14 assists. 

His lone AHL season in 2004-05 wasn't that eye-popping either (18 G and 40 A in 73 GP), but the AHL having more talent than usual (due to the lockout) probably affected his numbers...guys like Jason Spezza and Mike Cammalleri (who clearly had nothing left to prove at the A) put up some monster numbers that year...Spezza put up 117 points, and Cam put up 109 on a stacked Monarchs team. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Eh I'm inclined to agree with others that he's got some time left to develop and a year in the AHL might do him well.

That said, it would be nice to see.. well.. something (anything) from him in these preseason games.  I saw some really, really sloppy/poor decision making in that Rags game from him and pretty much nothing else.  Would've liked to see a flash of something, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

81 games, 14 goals, 18 assists, 32 points. 

Parise was well over a point a game in his two years in the NCAA, and he was a freshman in his draft year.  I don't have the inclination to see if those point totals were more common back then, but to put into perspective, Parise's freshman year point totals were pretty much the same as Jack Eichel's in his freshman year.

McLeod, on the other hand, did not dominate junior in his final two years (he put up good, but not spectacular point totals) which is especially disconcerting for someone with his size, speed and quality teammates, one being Owen Tippet.  And while it was only six games, he pretty much didn't do anything in his stint with Bingo at the end of last year.

It's obviously too early to close the book on him, but he really needs to put up at least fifty points in Bingo this season before he has anything more than a "just a guy" designation in my eyes.  And other GMs almost certainly see exactly what I do, so he doesn't have that much in trade value at the moment, except maybe as a  piece in a deal for someone good.

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He looked pretty good considering the adjustment he has had to make to NA, and Severson/Mueller haven't had amazing camps. This is a little surprising to me.

I’d roll with him over Gryba for sure. But I’m guessing Yakovlev may get called back up after Smith’s 9 games. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’d roll with him over Gryba for sure. But I’m guessing Yakovlev may get called back up after Smith’s 9 games. 

I'll take him over Gryba and Lovejoy, but you might have a point. Also worth pointing out that I'd consider last season a bounce-back year for Lovejoy. Hopefully Greene can have the same type of season this year and Lovejoy can keep it rolling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

Really dont get what Kevin Rooney does for anyone

Me to. I would rather have kept McLeod or Studenic over Rooney. The guy will probably stay with the team now and have a Gibbons type breakout season! And that'll explain why I'm sat behind a keyboard and not the coach's desk.