Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

Just now, EdgeControl said:

$350,000 per goal..life is good.. WE NEED SCORERS.. AND defense. Which is going to be a hard fix.

Spend please, got to show hall we are committed to winning 

Yeah, there's not much on the market for sure and whatever is there is not guaranteed to be interested signing in NJ. But we do have cap space so we may profit from teams being too tight against the cap and having to unload talent. If only the cap would stop rising 5m every year for a bit though, that's not helping anyone

Andy Greene is killing this team.  I cannot believe we have another year of him.  I just can't believe it.

We just.. have to buy him out after this year.  I don't see a way around it, because clearly the staff will not sit him so long as he's healthy.

I'm having horrible flashbacks to when Salvador was captain.  The "C" is the only thing keeping him in the lineup at this point.  Can we NOT give the captaincy to old 'role playing' defensemen anymore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Andy Greene is killing this team.  I cannot believe we have another year of him.  I just can't believe it.

We just.. have to buy him out after this year.  I don't see a way around it, because clearly the staff will not sit him so long as he's healthy.

I'm having horrible flashbacks to when Salvador was captain.  The "C" is the only thing keeping him in the lineup at this point.  Can we NOT give the captaincy to old 'role playing' defensemen anymore?

Should have went to Zajac after Parise bolted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The sole offseason acquisition is waived before December but I’m still supposed to sit on my hands and act like Shero is a God?

No worries there's a guy playing in Wheeling that they have their eye on. 

Dea no goals in his last 16 games and pointless in 15 of them.  Next.

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

No worries there's a guy playing in Wheeling that they have their eye on. 

Dea no goals in his last 16 games and pointless in 15 of them.  Next.

After 3 goals and 2 assists to start, which is still much better production than the average 4th line player.  Dea was a fine 4th line addition and if he's not claimed, I'd expect to see him back in New Jersey before the season's end.

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone told Shero he needed to bring in some D and he misunderstood and brought in some Dea. 

Let's be honest this isn't the worst thing Shero could have done when someone was requesting more D......

I like Dea's speed, work ethic, discipline, and shoot first mentality. Maybe some time in Bing putting up points will help set him ablaze again like at the beginning of the season. If anyone in the lower half of the lineup doesn't fit the team identity, it is Stafford and Boyle. Plz no Stafford. If Zacha can get sent to the Bing, and get back up, so can Dea though. I hope he does. 

30 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I like Dea's speed, work ethic, discipline, and shoot first mentality. Maybe some time in Bing putting up points will help set him ablaze again like at the beginning of the season. If anyone in the lower half of the lineup doesn't fit the team identity, it is Stafford and Boyle. Plz no Stafford. If Zacha can get sent to the Bing, and get back up, so can Dea though. I hope he does. 

What is the team identity? Boyle has out played several others.  

Hell whatever identity this team has needs to be blown up and started over.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Boyle has 7 goals in 18 GP as a 4C. I continue to not understand why he’s seen as part of the problem. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Boyle has 7 goals in 18 GP as a 4C. I continue to not understand why he’s seen as part of the problem. 

Yeah agreed... Boyle might be a little soft for his size at times but he's doing just fine with the role he's been given. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s not. If anything he’s over performed. Tied for 3rd on the team in goals with Taylor Hall, 3 more than our 1C. 

Of course, some people will say it doesn’t count because 3 were in one game. That would be the stupidest logic possible, of course, like a hat trick by a 4th liner is a negative. 

You can call him soft all you want, he’s 6’7” but not a physical player, everyone knows that from long before he was a Devil. 

Those who think he’s not doing his job have no clue what a 4th line player is supposed to be in today’s NHL. 

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on Boyle.  I understand why people are upset with him, but at the same time I think he's played well in what has been asked of him and what should be expected of him.  Here's my take on him as a player, with some positives and negatives:

The Good:

- He doesn't play a lot of minutes, but the minutes he gets, he's contributed at a pace that's good or better than expected

- He doesn't usually take many penalties

- A big body in front of the net

- He's a great guy in the locker room

The Bad:

- He used to be good at faceoffs, but sucks now (39 and 50, 43.8%)

- He's very slow, to the point where sometimes I think he hampers the offense 

- To the above point, on the PP, I think he actually hampers it at times too.  Often I see him just camping in front of the net or aimlessly trying to use his stick along the boards and he whiffs often.  When he's parked in front of the net I see the rest of the guys on the PP unit try to force shots and use him as a screen, or have him get lucky on a deflection here and there.  Sometimes it works, but a lot of times it doesn't, and I'm almost to the point where it's just not worth putting him on the PP anymore.  There are better/more skilled options.  

- Doesn't use his size the way we wish he would

In the end, I don't mind Boyle on the team in the sense that I don't think he's necessarily a liability, but I think a case can be made that there may be better options on the 4th line than him.  I am really liking what Dea brings to the team, and even though I'm not high on guys like Seney, if we had other young options in the pipeline I wouldn't mind them getting a shot here and there while Boyle is relegated to healthy scratch status.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.