2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

So in talking about this with my buddy yesterday, if we see any of the following at the very start we're in good/great shape:

• Buffalo drafting at 7OA (meaning three teams beneath Buffalo won the lottery, which could include us)
  • Seeing either the Kings or Ducks drafting at 7OA (meaning the Devils and Sabres won a lottery pick and moved up).

Conversely, if we see any of the following we're in trouble:

• No draw at all, meaning three play-in teams won and leapfrogged us.
  • Buffalo drafting 8th or 9th, meaning one or two play-in teams won the lottery and moved up and probably leapfrogged us.
  • We see the Devils logo first, drafting at either 7, 8, or 9 meaning Buffalo and/or one or two play-in teams won the lottery and moved ahead of us.

I probably fvcked up somewhere but.. yeah.  I think that more or less covers it?

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I still loathe the fact a team that is playing for the Cup is still having a chance at the 1st overall. Of all the good things the NHL has done during COVID, this was the dumbest by far.

“RUSH THE DRAFT LOTTERY”

”But we can just do it in a few more...”

”RUSH IT!”

I agree, really doesn't make any sense. What good has the NHL done during covid? Just trying to figure out what I missed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I agree, really doesn't make any sense. What good has the NHL done during covid? Just trying to figure out what I missed. 

They've been active in the social stuff, releasing lots of good statements and all that.  So that's good.

Specific to COVID though?  Umm....uh... hm..

I can say with 100% certainty someone will be annoyed as to how this draft unfolds. 

Hoping it’s less of us than more. 

If we get another #1, I will expect everyone who ever posted that the league has some kind of conspiracy against us to formally retract their statements. 

• Like 3

We can only pick 1,2,3,6,7,8 or 9. Our highest odds would be picking 7.

It's kind of good cause some players ranked around 4, 5 are good players but that i'd rather not pick but it would be hard not to pick them at that spot. 

I just REALLY hope no teams from the play-in round wins cause well... it means we'd drop a position for sure.. but on top of that we'd have to wait til the second draft lottery to know if we do get Arizona's pick or not... cause if they win it we don't get it and Hall is on that team so it's totally possible they could win.

I'd be beyond myself if we get into the top 3 though obviously.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 or 2 would be great, those two seem to be a clear level above the rest.  I think anywhere else in the mix after that is fine, though falling to 8 or 9 would suck.

I think we're fortunate to be in a position where we'll get a quality player no matter what.  I just hope we don't pick the goalie.

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I can say with 100% certainty someone will be annoyed as to how this draft unfolds. 

Hoping it’s less of us than more. 

If we get another #1, I will expect everyone who ever posted that the league has some kind of conspiracy against us to formally retract their statements. 

Remember, having the #1 can be bad depending on who you ask...

there’s the risk of him not being the absolute best player in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

1 or 2 would be great, those two seem to be a clear level above the rest.  I think anywhere else in the mix after that is fine, though falling to 8 or 9 would suck.

I think we're fortunate to be in a position where we'll get a quality player no matter what.  I just hope we don't pick the goalie.

Who are you including at #2 that’s clearly above the others? Byfield or Stutzle? Cause I could see either one going 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I had a boy in 2017 and we won the lottery and drafted Nico.

In 2019 I had a girl and we won the lottery and drafted Hughes.

I tried to get my wife to have another kid but she wasn’t going for it. Sorry guys. 

Did you at least adopt a dog so we can pick third?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Remember, having the #1 can be bad depending on who you ask...

there’s the risk of him not being the absolute best player in the draft. 

Exactly, which is why you should always trade all of your draft picks regardless of position. 

But then you run the risk of being on the losing end of the trade too...

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Who are you including at #2 that’s clearly above the others? Byfield or Stutzle? Cause I could see either one going 2nd. 

Byfield, but I'm admittedly just going off scouting reports I've read over the past couple months. I'm way behind on the latest rankings so my statement could definitely be off base.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Fortunate isn't the word I'd use. We suffer watching diarrhea on ice annually to be this fortunate. 

I was all about NJ winning some games with Nas but I thought they'd drop more down the stretch as the season was closing. We sucked enough to be a littler higher lol. 

25 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Byfield, but I'm admittedly just going off scouting reports I've read over the past couple months. I'm way behind on the latest rankings so my statement could definitely be off base.

A number of people have Stützle at 2 now but both look to be pretty great players/potential. Stützle looks to have the flashy skills and Byfield looks to have that power forward game going. I have read Byfield seems like he might not make his NHL debut for a season or two but Stützle can jump in now so maybe that is the difference maker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm looking at the extension of the CBA, the lack of the bullsh!t return to play that baseball went through and a few other things that coffee is not helping me remember right now. Definitely some rose-colored glasses by me, especially with EVERYTHING else in the world going on and a lack of sports, but I feel like the one sports league in North America that's been getting it right or ahead of things is the NHL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

2 lotto wins in the past 3 years. I know it's all random but it just doesn't seem likely. I just hope there are 0 "play-in" teams. When the Rangers season ends, I want them to know it was for nothing. 

@MB3, I've been remiss. Are you and your wife fully recovered? All went well? 

18 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

If we win the lotto again, we have a realistic chance of getting as good as the Oilers :tomato:

Edmonton destroyed us point-wise this season, just sayin'. I'd have liked to have been as good as Edmonton, we'd still be playing.