GDT: Devils at Canadiens, 16 Nov 19, 7pm Eastern

jagknife

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i was going to the movies so i had to leave before the end of the first. checked the score when the movie ended... 3-3 with few minutes left.. so i figured... sweet, ill be able to catch an OT back home... then checked again at a red light and it said 4-3 habs with 47 seconds left.. so i was pissed.. then got home and it was 3-3... and then we won

Hope you enjoyed the movie too.

14 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Hope you enjoyed the movie too.

Yeahh it was a special screening in a film festival, only one showing so i had to go.

I like to watch as many games as possible but too often i didnt do something social just to stay home and watch a game... just to see the team sh!t the bed lol life's too short for that haha

That was an insane third period, can't believe how many penalties were being called. Them overturning that goal was definitely the right call either way cause even if he didn't kick it in he interfered with Mac's ability to save it. 

The passing on the goals tonight was fantastic. Coleman, Hall and Bratt, all great. 

Hall is so snake bitten right now, he had so many chances. 

Great to see Mac get the wins back to back and was even better that Kinkaid didn't get a win against us. 

Keep it going Tuesday. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That was an insane third period, can't believe how many penalties were being called.

Can’t remember the last time I saw a period of hockey quite like that.

I can’t really describe how I feel about this one, though we left with 2 points against an 11-5 team. Pretty damn nice.

I am really, really feeling bad for Hall, snakebite doesn’t even say it. But two more assists, we need those as well.

Mac wasn’t as sharp as yesterday (obviously), but screw it, the job got done. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeahh it was a special screening in a film festival, only one showing so i had to go.

I like to watch as many games as possible but too often i didnt do something social just to stay home and watch a game... just to see the team sh!t the bed lol life's too short for that haha

100%. If my wife knew how many times I refused to go out and they f...d it up she'd probably make me eat the remote control.

Not the prettiest game the Devils have ever played, but in context of the game last night, this game, for me, is a "phew," they're not going to keep getting worse. It's a good sign to be able to come out on the road in the second half of a back-to-back and win the shots battle in the first two periods. The third period wasn't the best, but it was their sixth period in two nights, and they won the game in the seventh one...so, fine. The Devils play is super inconsistent right now and they're trying a lot of things - but the difference between now and a month ago is that we are getting starting NHL goaltending. When that happens, you tend to win some games, one way or another.

I don't personally like the switch of Hall<>Hughes on PP1 - I think Hall has looked good on the left on that unit even if he hasn't been scoring goals. There's a lot of reasons we can pick at the Devils PP strategy that I won't go into here, but it's never been my personal thought that Hall's positioning was the issue aside from the fact that he's just not feeling it with his shot - as simplistic as that sounds. This all said, I can't really say anything because the Devils did score with that PP1 after all.

Edited by Neb00rs

Oh and one other thing I wanted to say I liked was that the Devils seemed like they were really having fun out there. I saw Hall and PK goofing around and pumping up teammates a handful of times. If the team as a unit isn't exactly dominating games right now, for me, it's a good sign moving forward that they are sticking together out there. Morale is not to be discounted.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 3

gotta point out that we won back to back games without our best dman in the lineup too

We're also only 6 pts back from a playoffs spot with a game in hand, its not impossible that in like 2-3 weeks that we're totally in the mix and a bubble team.

Which would make things pretty difficult with Hall though. Parts of me truly believe he's a goner and that it should happen sooner than later, we can't risk it. But I have a hard time believing Shero would have let it go for this long without being really confident he could keep him, he literally never did this... we might all be incredibly surprised and boom he's signing an extension. 

• Like 2

As ragged (and even flat-out unwatchable) as the Devils have often been this season, and as much as I'm not a believer when it comes to Hynes and his staff, to be 7-8-4 after a brutal 0-4-2 start is pretty good.  I think sometimes it's easy to forget how deep of a hole the Devils dug themselves...sure, it would have been nice if they could've ripped off 5 or 6 straight wins, but since that rotten start, they've at least stayed away from another extended low-point streak.

And as Neb00rs pointed out, amazing what can happen when you start getting some better goaltending.  Blackwood's a bit inconsistent (to be expected given his age), but he's rather quietly gone 7-3-1 with a 2.33 GAA and .921 save% in his last 11 GP.  Suffice it to say I can definitely live with a .920ish save% from Mac...he's really been better than we realize, in spite of some bad goals and something of a "dynamite every other game" run that he's currently on.  His first three games of the season are dragging his numbers down.

43 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Blackwood is an nhl starter. He was brilliant last night, and often left on his own. I will go back to my earlier desire for him to start at least 41 games, but who can we start for the rest?

Maybe Hynes will just ride him all the way.

We're seeing this team almost stubbornly try to fight its way to a decent record in spite of themselves...but they obviously need their goalies to be on top of their games for that to happen.  I don't necessarily fully see that out of Mac at the moment, but he's been close enough.  But the last thing that I want to see is Hynes give Cory a start, and see another Devils game go to complete sh!t.  As much as I feel bad for him, he just seems to have a way of poisoning the team with his suckage.  When the Devils reach the point that Mac needs a break, I'd much rather see Domingue get those starts.  I know Cory makes a lot of money and it's hard to mothball a guy like that, but it just seems to unfair to keep trying to right him at everyone expense.  He's a complete good-vibe momentum destroyer.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

all we needed was good not great NHL caliber goal tending. as mad as I get at PK's passing game. he works the boards very well and wins his battles to dig the puck out.. at least he gets to the other blueline before passing it to the other team lol.  greene has found his D game again and is a big surprise..  shero has talented skaters on this team, now they need to start scoring goals especially hall.  we look like that fringe PO team which we were expecting, but its like walking a high-wire

3 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Blackwood is an nhl starter. He was brilliant last night, and often left on his own. I will go back to my earlier desire for him to start at least 41 games, but who can we start for the rest?

The broadcast team seemed to agree with you, when they posted a list of the 5 rookie goalies who started the most games for their team (I think 61 was the highest). 

50 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Brodeur did about 41 in his first full season but our backups were way better. Not to mention two hall of fame defenseman in front of him.

He played in 47 games (out of 84) and rotated with Terreri for most of the season.  Both played well (Terreri’s days as as poor man’s #1 were clearly numbered heading into that 1993-94 season), but Marty was clearly the better player and the future not too far into the year.

Marty mentioned in his book that Lemaire was pretty tough on him in his first season...mentioned that he had a spat with Zelepukin during practice that led to Brodeur shooting the puck at Zelepukin...apparently Guerin and others saw it and gave Marty a bunch of sh!t about it.  After the first period of the next game, Lemaire apparently caught wind of what had happened (he hadn’t seen it) and during the first period intermission he walked right by Marty, pointed to Terreri and said “You’re in.”  Marty had no idea why he was taken out until after the game.

Terreri came up huge in the second round series against Boston...Marty had a couple of tough games in Game 1 and Game 2 in NJ, and Terreri played two terrific games in Game 3 and Game 4 in Boston to help the Devils win both.  The Devils would win that series in 6.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, Rob_Ottawa said:

I missed most of this game so I'll post my comments after watching the highlights in a moment, but I just want to say that I think Blackwood has been pretty sharp lately too, and I think he should get considerably more than 41 games.  I'm thinking closer to 55-60.  Cory doesn't seem nearly as good as him, and the team doesn't play nearly as well in front of him either, so to start him in a 50/50 split at this point would be just giving up games, which we already can't afford after a slow start to the season.

In regards to Saturday's game, the highlights looked good and I love the fact that we earned a gritty win when we were down in the game 3-1 at one point, and even better that we did it on the road.  The goal they scored with under a minute left definitely shouldn't have counted.  Aside from the contact that was made with Blackwood which looked like enough to disallow it in and of itself, the Canadiens player on the ground by the goal line definitely kicked/nudged the puck in with his leg/thigh.  And even with that, it was really difficult to see if the puck actually even crossed the line completely - I saw this part live, and most angles I saw showed it either completely obstructed, or still on the line.

I was really pleased to see that our passing looked crisp.  The Coleman to Gusev goal was a beauty with that no-look back pass, and Zacha's 2-on-1 to Nico at the end of the 2nd period was equally as great.  I'm so glad we finally got a shorthanded goal, and for it to happen as the period was close to expiring is great - I will give Hynes credit here for motivating the guys and having them never let off the gas.  Nico and Zacha on the PK seem great together. Also, it shouldn't go unnoticed how Zacha has elevated his game - he's maturing as a player, and he's also playing with confidence.  This is why last year I was pretty pissed that he was treated like a yo-yo and constantly sent up or down, or held out of the lineup - I think it was hard for him to find a rhythm and gain some inner confidence, but it appears he has that now and he seems much more comfortable on the ice.  

Hall's passing also was very key and timely - he set up the game winner on the PP with quick thinking, and he was extremely patient on the tying goal to Simmonds on the PP.  He's not getting luck on his own chances, but they're there, and I think they'll start falling eventually.  If/when that happens, look out - he could be ready for an explosive run with the talent he has around him now.  

Regarding the goals, hard to fault Blackwood for many of them - the first one was a pretty awesome deflection by them, another was a 5 on 3 PP where the guy was on the doorstep all alone, and another was essentially a 1 on 0 when Greene was by himself and took the passer while two other guys, including the puck carrier/eventual goal scorer, were left to skate in alone.  Also, worth noting that you can't really fault Greene for that one either - not sure who else missed their assignments, but he had to make a choice to take someone, so he took the passer, and unfortunately the Canadiens player (I think it was Gallagher) made a nice deke and went backhand.

All in all though, it seemed like a solid effort, nice to see a lot of shots on net, and great to get two points.  Would really like to see if this gives us some momentum and have it carry over to tomorrow's game.  This will be a big test. 

• Like 1