The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinda surprised the author doesn’t seem to realize that Toffoli should offset any production lost with Tatar’s departure.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda surprised the author doesn’t seem to realize that Toffoli should offset any production lost with Tatar’s departure.  

The loss of Severson didn't even rate a mention and neither did the addition of Luke Hughes.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed. Feels like an improvement over Tatar in fact. 

Toffoli could pot 35-40 if he gets time with Hughes. Timo could hit 40 or more again too. Sooo pumped already. My body is ready for Meier-Hughes-Toffoli. 

Edited by RizzMB30

14 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Agreed. Feels like an improvement over Tatar in fact. 

Toffoli could pot 35-40 if he gets time with Hughes. Timo could hit 40 or more again too. Sooo pumped already. My body is ready for Meier-Hughes-Toffoli. 

I think 25-30 goals over 82 GP for Toffoli is a reasonable expectation, and that represents a nice improvement over what Tatar would’ve given them in 2023-24…there’s a reason no one’s jumped on him just yet.  It’s feeling like he’ll have to sign a one-year deal with a bad team and hope a contender scoops him up later (who knows, maybe the Devils wind up being the team who deals for him at or near the deadline if it’s only a low-round pick and/or a Ute spare part or two going back the other way).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think 25-30 goals over 82 GP for Toffoli is a reasonable expectation, and that represents a nice improvement over what Tatar would’ve given them in 2023-24…there’s a reason no one’s jumped on him just yet.  It’s feeling like he’ll have to sign a one-year deal with a bad team and hope a contender scoops him up later (who knows, maybe the Devils wind up being the team who deals for him at or near the deadline if it’s only a low-round pick and/or a Ute spare part or two going back the other way).

I wasn't thinking that far ahead regarding Tatar, but I would do that in a heartbeat, esp if we hit unlucky injuries. Imagine he signs for 1 million somewhere. Can't imagine he gets the same contract he had. 

It is pretty wild how not signing on July 1 really fvcks you as a player. 

I'm thinking  Seattle or CBJ takes a flyer on Tatar.

Edited by RizzMB30

12 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

It is pretty wild how not signing on July 1 really fvcks you as a player. 

It's one of the bad aspects of the cap. It is bad for the middle-of-the-road forward, especially if you're over 30.

Same in baseball, which has a soft cap. Many second-level hitters -- productive hitters -- don't get multi-year contracts.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

As much as I appreciated him here, he just can't bring it in the playoffs. We need a young Barbeshev kind of pickup

Yeah, he just had the one goal in Game 7 against the Rangers. Disappointing. But he had quite a good regular season for us.

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

As much as I appreciated him here, he just can't bring it in the playoffs. We need a young Barbeshev kind of pickup

He’d be more of a pure depth acquisition, if Fitz ever decided to bring him back.  I’m definitely not looking to him for any major production.  And I don’t see him having the kind of year in 2023-24 that he just did…and I suspect most other GMs don’t either.

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think this is kind of what we suspected was happening, at least with Hellebuyck.  I still don’t like the term associated with Gibson. 

Yeah with Gibson comes way too much of a “Dammit you better be RIGHT about this Fitz!” feeling.  It just feels like the chance for failure is too high.

Hellebuyck’s camp should realize that GMs aren’t so eager to hand out max term and high dollars to a goalie who will be 31 when his extension kicks in.  They should be really open to a three-year or four-year extension beyond the final season of his existing contract.  That’s if playing on a team with a real chance to win is the top priority.

• Like 1

The thing with literally any extension for Hellebuyck is that there is a world where Schmid is considered the better goalie as early as the start of '24-'25 and more likely '25-'26 and then you're into the Bobrovsky/Knight mess (before Knight had to remove himself from the situation).  I know I'm a broken record on this but if it's going to happen, I only want Hellebuyck as a rental for now.  I don't think you can commit a contract beyond next year to literally anyone not named Schmid or VV until you see what you have in Schmid this year over a bigger sample size of games.   I know that it's a completely different situation playing 65+ games in Winnipeg, but Schmid already posted one season with a better GAA and SV% in both the regular season and playoffs.  Other than looking a little raw at times, the eye test didn't really provide any major red flags either.  If I'm the GM, I want to see how at least the first hall of '23-'24 goes before I'm making any long term decisions on the goaltending situation.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

The thing with literally any extension for Hellebuyck is that there is a world where Schmid is considered the better goalie as early as the start of '24-'25 and more likely '25-'26 and then you're into the Bobrovsky/Knight mess (before Knight had to remove himself from the situation).  I know I'm a broken record on this but if it's going to happen, I only want Hellebuyck as a rental for now.  I don't think you can commit a contract beyond next year to literally anyone not named Schmid or VV until you see what you have in Schmid this year over a bigger sample size of games.   I know that it's a completely different situation playing 65+ games in Winnipeg, but Schmid already posted one season with a better GAA and SV% in both the regular season and playoffs.  Other than looking a little raw at times, the eye test didn't really provide any major red flags either.  If I'm the GM, I want to see how at least the first hall of '23-'24 goes before I'm making any long term decisions on the goaltending situation.   

And I’m STILL 100% fine with status quo.  It really still feels like the media is trying to give the whole “Devils in search of a goalie” thing more life than it really has.

re:  Hellebuyck, I didn’t mean just the Devils…I meant if he has designs on playing for a winner that doesn’t have loads of cap space, he shouldn’t expect such teams to want to give him 8 years @ $8-9 million AAV.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I’m STILL 100% fine with status quo.  It really still feels like the media is trying to give the whole “Devils in search of a goalie” thing more life than it really has.

re:  Hellebuyck, I didn’t mean just the Devils…I meant if he has designs on playing for a winner that doesn’t have loads of cap space, he shouldn’t expect such teams to want to give him 8 years @ $8-9 million AAV.  

Understood and I agree.  I think if he's going to want term and top dollar, he will probably need to have a change of heart and re-sign in Winnipeg.   

I guess my main point here is that there are a lot of reasons to try and lock a player up long term as soon as you can.   Paying a goalie for his age 31 and on seasons based on his performance as a 29 year old in another city is not one of them.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Other than looking a little raw at times, the eye test didn't really provide any major red flags either.  

As well as he played against the Rangers, I thought Schmid got a little lucky. At times his rebound control is not that much better than Blackwood's. However, I think your idea to give Schmid a real chance is reasonable. 

I also agree with CR1976 that an extension for Hellebuyck should not be 8 years, it should be half that. I do want him here but not for 8 years guaranteed.

I really like this signing ! FO killer, PK & work ethic.. Big Body... Full of experience. And he doesn't have to bring any offense (and that's a good thing ; ) ) with our current lineup ! He can help with a team that may (or may not) struggle at time with a young D 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Another guy who can play bottom 6 center. Not looking good for McLeod. 

Does feel like Fitz is preparing himself for not having McLeod, that’s for damned sure.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, moustic said:

I really like this signing ! FO killer, PK & work ethic.. Big Body... Full of experience. And he doesn't have to bring any offense (and that's a good thing ; ) ) with our current lineup ! He can help with a team that may (or may not) struggle at time with a young D 

100%  -Great move.  This is what they need more of to compete in the playoffs.  Get bigger, stronger, tougher to play against.  They were one of the softest teams-luckily they played the heartless ragamuffins...after that-playoff reality struck.

A solid pro on a short term cheap deal-nice job Fitzy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Does feel like Fitz is preparing himself for not having McLeod, that’s for damned sure.

Speaking of which, I’ve heard on about 77 separate occasions over the last year that the findings of this investigation would be released ‘any day’. Can we fvcking get it over with already?! This sh!t has dragged on long enough. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1