Hockey Canada investigation -Mcleod charged with 2 counts

RunninWithTheDevil

6 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

In regards to Foote, why even take that risk for a journeyman defenseman or an AHLer with fringe NHL capabilities.   Formenton wasn't signed....  and he clearly had more of a pedigree

But was Formenton ever considered cleared?  The point is that if a guy at the time had appeared to have been cleared (like Foote), I can understand a GM like Fitz not thinking that he was taking any risks in signing him.  The whole "Fitz should've seen this coming!" with Foote just doesn't make any sense to me.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

In regards to Foote, why even take that risk for a journeyman defenseman or an AHLer with fringe NHL capabilities.   Formenton wasn't signed....  and he clearly had more of a pedigree

I think Formenton was identified as one of the main culprits in this pretty early on in this.   There was always wild speculation about who else was involved but he seemed to be the one untouchable from the moment this became public.   Teams don't just move on from 21 year old 18 goal scorers without good reason.     

I heard a lot of names mentioned as possibilities over the last two years and I don't remember ever hearing Foote and Hart being mentioned, maybe because of their strong denials while others remained silent.     

Edited by Lateralous

15 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

They were probably running right up against statute of limitations and have to throw something at the wall to make something stick.

No statute of limitations for sexual assault in Canada

12 hours ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

Been a fan for 35 years.  Darkest off ice day in the franchise’s history. 

This has nothing to do with the NJ Devils

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

This has nothing to do with the NJ Devils

As long as Fitz and others truly believed (based on comments from McLeod and others in his camp, like his agent) that McLeod wasn't involved and had no information that suggested that he was, I agree...some will still try to paint the Devils as somehow complicit even if that's the case, but that is what it is.

If it's proven that they knew just enough about McLeod likely being a part of what happened but then made a hockey decision to squeeze as many games out of him as possible (all the while knowing that he was more or less certain not to finish the season with the Devils), that's not gonna reflect well on the organization or those directly involved.  Really hoping it doesn't end up that way.

6 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

Yet it’s taken up more space than the average game day thread ……

Considering that McLeod is a player who was making a real name for himself here and looked to be a key part of this thing going forward, is it a real shock that it's going to be discussed here?  Yeah as we wait for the next steps there will be lulls, but this is an ugly topic that will be revisited and discussed plenty at njdevs, given the player involved.

6 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

The difference is Formenten was never cleared. Foote supposedly was so it was assumed it was in the past for him and he was ‘safe’. Which means instead of saying ‘no comment’ or ‘working with authorities’ like most involved players did, either Foote or his agent out right lied. 

• Like 3

We also have no idea what Mike told the Devils or if he was even asked. He could have easily told them he wasn't involved and at that point the Devils would just take his word for it. We have no idea.

I think Mike only getting a 1 year deal from us definitely raises some eyebrows that they did know though. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

We also have no idea what Mike told the Devils or if he was even asked. He could have easily told them he wasn't involved and at that point the Devils would just take his word for it. We have no idea.

I think Mike only getting a 1 year deal from us definitely raises some eyebrows that they did know though. 

I won’t get on Fitz about McLeod just yet, at least not until we have more information about what was known at the time. That 1 year deal could have just as easily been a “show me deal”. Remember that McLeod didn’t even score 5 goals during the whole regular season last year. It looked like maybe he was turning a corner but, he wasn’t exactly a prime candidate for a multi year extension at that point. 

As far as Cal Foote, I feel ambivalent about the situation. On one hand, it’s true that we already had a potentially messy situation with one player, why add another into the mix? On the other hand, if someone was (truly) cleared from a horrible situation, then their career shouldn’t be over just because of an association that proved not to be true. Wasn’t exactly the case here, though, so it probably would have been best to steer clear if it was all for an AHL signing, just in case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

From a Devils perspective, hopefully this is the answer and McLeod and his agent had been telling them there was nothing to worry about this whole time but that Fitz saw the smoke around MM and wasn't willing to go beyond a 1 year deal until he was cleared.  Seems plausible.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

I honestly don't care if the Devils signed them knowing they may be charged.  
I absolutely do care if the Devils had any part in suppressing the investigation - which no one is accusing them of.

All players are innocent until proven guilty - and therefore free to sign and play in the NHL.   
The entire NHL knew Cal Foote was suspected of this, which is why there was speculation at the time why he got the contract he did...  as no team wanted to commit anything substantial or long term.
If they are proven guilty they will serve their punishment.   

After their punishment (legal and league suspensions), I'd be okay if any NHL team (including the Devils) signed them if they are eligible to play and still a good fit for the team.
If they aren't, I won't feel bad at all for them.  

Edited by aylbert
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I honestly don't care if the Devils signed them knowing they may be charged.  
I absolutely do care if the Devils had any part in suppressing the investigation - which no one is accusing them of.

All players are innocent until proven guilty - and therefore free to sign and play in the NHL.   
The entire NHL knew Cal Foote was suspected of this, which is why there was speculation at the time why he got the contract he did...  as no team wanted to commit anything substantial or long term.
If they are proven guilty they will serve their punishment.   

After their punishment (legal and league suspensions), I'd be okay if any NHL team (including the Devils) signed them if they are eligible to play and still a good fit for the team.
If they aren't, I won't feel bad at all for them.  

I agree with everything except the last part. Absolutely allow them to integrate back into society and find their place as productive members, maybe even in hockey, but I think their privilege to be make millions of dollars as professional athletes should be revoked indefinitely if what some of the sources have said occurred actually did occur, they're found guilty, or plead guilty. There are certain crimes that fall in that category for me-- just... Not forgivable to that extent. Make an example out of them.

• Like 2

Maybe this already exists, I don't know, but shouldn't there be something in a contract that says if a player is convicted of a crime and therefore literally and physically unable to perform his job duties, that the team would be able to opt out and terminate the contract? And if that were the case, it would make signing guys who may be suspected of being in a situation like this essentially risk-free for the team. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Maybe this already exists, I don't know, but shouldn't there be something in a contract that says if a player is convicted of a crime and therefore literally and physically unable to perform his job duties, that the team would be able to opt out and terminate the contract? And if that were the case, it would make signing guys who may be suspected of being in a situation like this essentially risk-free for the team. 

Yea, I think there is some kind of morality clause in the CBA but I think teams are careful when they exercise it. Everyone and their mother knows what's going on, but until they get to Canada and officially get charged they are just "on leave" technically. We'll have to see what happens once they turn themselves in.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I looked up the Slava Voynov situation and yeah, it looks like the Kings were able to terminate the contract 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-slava-voynov-kings-suspension-20190523-story.html

Petty, minor thing in the grand scheme of things I know, but it’d be nice if the Devils hired some copywriters for their press releases. 

It’s “leaves of absence”, not “leave of absences”. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

Back to the World Junior 2018 issue

Isn't the real scandal here to do with Hockey Canada and its "National Equity Fund", as mentioned in the Globe and Mail article? 

Apparently Hockey Canada has a fund SPECIFICALLY  set up to buy silence from victims of sexual abuse by players. Whether or not these five players wind up convicted of crimes; it seems they were told that Hockey Canada would "take care of this for them".

Hockey Canada really has problems.

25 minutes ago, point said:

Back to the World Junior 2018 issue

Isn't the real scandal here to do with Hockey Canada and its "National Equity Fund", as mentioned in the Globe and Mail article? 

Apparently Hockey Canada has a fund SPECIFICALLY  set up to buy silence from victims of sexual abuse by players. Whether or not these five players wind up convicted of crimes; it seems they were told that Hockey Canada would "take care of this for them".

Hockey Canada really has problems.

Pretty much. Just from what I've read and from what I understand, the victim took a settlement but then the London Police took further action once it leaked that there was allegedly a specific slush fund set up for situations like this, maybe someone more familiar with the details can correct me if I'm wrong