Hockey Canada investigation -Mcleod charged with 2 counts

RunninWithTheDevil

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

It’s been 6 fvcking years.   Unfortunately, no one rushed to anything.  

Yea releasing a statement of innocence this long into it and AFTER you get called onto the carpet smacks of a hope it went away on its own.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Muevelos said:

So all 5 players basically are away from their teams. Here's my prediction, not much of a hot take but, McCleod played his last game as a devil. Carter Hart aswell for Philly. Dam.

I would be shocked if any of them ever play in the NHL again.   

43 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would be shocked if any of them ever play in the NHL again.   

Depends on what happens, if they don't get convicted of anything they'll be back. Look at the Boston sh!t bag situation. Someone's always at least gonna throw out their morals and try to see if they can get away with signing someone. 

Hell maybe Edmonton will sign them all, they couldn't wait to sign Corry Perry  

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Depends on what happens, if they don't get convicted of anything they'll be back. Look at the Boston sh!t bag situation. Someone's always at least gonna throw out their morals and try to see if they can get away with signing someone. 

I could definitely see the Oilers bringing McLeod in to play with this brother. They love signing guys with character issues. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hell maybe Edmonton will sign them all, they couldn't wait to sign Corry Perry  

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I could definitely see the Oilers bringing McLeod in to play with this brother. They love signing guys with character issues. 

I don’t think this depends on a conviction at all.   There’s texts from the next day after from one of the players contacting her to make this go away, video asking her if she was consensually “gang banged” etc.   This isn’t a Duke Lacrosse situation where it might be a total lie.  Clearly something awful happened.   Regardless of if the prosecution can meet the extremely high bar for a criminal conviction on sexual assault 6 years after the fact, which if we got to this point, it seems like they think they can, I don’t see the defendants coming out the other side as “innocent.”  By the time the authorities hold their press conference on 2/5, I bet these guys get the Stan Bowman/Joel Quenneville treatment for life.  

Also, I don’t disagree that if it was left to the teams, one of these desperate clubs like the Oilers would look the other way to sign a guy that could help them at a discount. I just don’t think the NHL will ever let it get to that, just like with Quenneville so far.

One last point.  Let’s be honest, from a business perspective it probably makes sense for the NHL to make a point with these 5.   There’s no McDavid, Hughes, etc.   I’m sure half of the board only found out Formenton was blacklisted 2 years ago this past week when this broke.   On a macro level, no one will miss these guys

• Like 1

Quenneville will be back in league in like 2 years max, book it 

Also from what I heard Formenton was player #1 so good luck with the innocent act buddy considering player 1 invited his rapist friends over to party

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

52 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I don’t think this depends on a conviction at all.   There’s texts from the next day after from one of the players contacting her to make this go away, video asking her if she was consensually “gang banged” etc.   This isn’t a Duke Lacrosse situation where it might be a total lie.  Clearly something awful happened.   Regardless of if the prosecution can meet the extremely high bar for a criminal conviction on sexual assault 6 years after the fact, which if we got to this point, it seems like they think they can, I don’t see the defendants coming out the other side as “innocent.”  By the time the authorities hold their press conference on 2/5, I bet these guys get the Stan Bowman/Joel Quenneville treatment for life.  

Also, I don’t disagree that if it was left to the teams, one of these desperate clubs like the Oilers would look the other way to sign a guy that could help them at a discount. I just don’t think the NHL will ever let it get to that, just like with Quenneville so far.

One last point.  Let’s be honest, from a business perspective it probably makes sense for the NHL to make a point with these 5.   There’s no McDavid, Hughes, etc.   I’m sure half of the board only found out Formenton was blacklisted 2 years ago this past week when this broke.   On a macro level, no one will miss these guys

I didn't know about the texts and I read more than the average fan so I assume the average fan has no clue whatsoever about this case and most don't know the full details. 

That's not excusing anything but it definitely keeps the door open for their return. I do agree though that none of these players are huge names but neither was the scumbag in Boston and they tried to bring him back in too. 

I just won't be surprised if they are all brought back in, I just don't want them on our team. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I didn't know about the texts and I read more than the average fan so I assume the average fan has no clue whatsoever about this case and most don't know the full details. 

That's not excusing anything but it definitely keeps the door open for their return. I do agree though that none of these players are huge names but neither was the scumbag in Boston and they tried to bring him back in too. 

I just won't be surprised if they are all brought back in, I just don't want them on our team. 

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7093404

This is a pretty informative article.   Here’s the part about the texts.  This is after the police were contacted.   

The court filing includes a text message exchange between E.M. and Player #1 in which he repeatedly asks E.M. to make the matter "go away."

Delta Armouries The Delta Armouries in London, Ont. Police have asked for a search warrant to the room where the alleged sexual assaults took place. (Amanda Margison / CBC News

"Ok so can you please figure out how to make this go away and contact the police," Player #1 texted E.M., according to the court filing.

"What can you do to make this go away ... Ok so you are putting an end to this right?"

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

IMO No team is gonna bring them back no matter what. Look at Trevor Bauer or Matt Arizia as an example.  Both exonerated and both not playing.  The backlash would be too great.   This ain’t Evander Kane or Corey Perry.  Even if exonerated I think they are toxic to any org.  

• Like 2

IF convicted these jackholes could be facing a long time in jail. Playing in the NHL again would seem to be a long shot.  Pretty insensitive use of the term 'laid" here imo from a guy that takes these stories very seriously.

3 hours ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

IMO No team is gonna bring them back no matter what. Look at Trevor Bauer or Matt Arizia as an example.  Both exonerated and both not playing.  The backlash would be too great.   This ain’t Evander Kane or Corey Perry.  Even if exonerated I think they are toxic to any org.  

That's pretty messed up though. If exonerated, there shouldn't be a black cloud that follows them and prevents them from earning a living playing a sport they love. Not saying I expect otherwise, but it's pretty fvcked up. 

Who are the people at Hockey Canada who have spent millions to bury not just this case but apparently numerous other cases? These are the guys that deserve to be in the spotlight. How many other situations have they been able to keep out of the public eye or from justice? How many other NHL players have benefited from the National Equity Fund largesse? Whose money have they spent to protect wayward hockey players? This whole mess stinks.

Hockey Canada is why it has taken six years for this to seep out from under the rug. Regardless of the guilt or innocense of the five men, and their professional futures, there are people with a lot of money pulling strings to affect justice in Canada.

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The charge is sexual assault for all.

Just for my own education-- I was looking up SA vs r*pe in canada and it seems like the latter falls under the former's umbrella. I was wondering why they were calling it SA instead of r*pe.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:08 PM, point said:

Who are the people at Hockey Canada who have spent millions to bury not just this case but apparently numerous other cases? These are the guys that deserve to be in the spotlight. How many other situations have they been able to keep out of the public eye or from justice? How many other NHL players have benefited from the National Equity Fund largesse? Whose money have they spent to protect wayward hockey players? This whole mess stinks.

Hockey Canada is why it has taken six years for this to seep out from under the rug. Regardless of the guilt or innocense of the five men, and their professional futures, there are people with a lot of money pulling strings to affect justice in Canada.

This is all fair, in that it makes one wonder what else was covered up in the past.

Curious to see how long it takes before a trial is underway.  Not sure how quickly things happen up in Canada, as far as that goes.

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Why does a trial not start until 2026? That seems ridiculous to all the parties involved... 

2026. Are you fvcking kidding?! Two years from now?! It would appear the Canadian justice system is just as nonsensical as the American justice system. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

2026. Are you fvcking kidding?! Two years from now?! It would appear the Canadian justice system is just as nonsensical as the American justice system. 

Well there’s my answer.  That’s a complete fvcking joke…we’re barely into 2024 FFS!!!

• Angry 1

Yeah that doesn't make any sense.  I can't possibly begin to guess the reason. I like anytime court cases in the US are deferred way out into the future it's usually because they're backed up and have too many cases going on simultaneously, but two years is just ridiculous. 

• Like 1