2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

15 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Was hoping to move up a little. Oh well. Trade the pick.

Between the need for a G and the rose colored rumors of Brady Tkachuk I think the pick had a high likelihood of being traded regardless of what happened.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Going back to the Larsson draft, we’ve “won” the lottery four times in like 13 drafts, right?   Cant be too disappointed.  

Not to mention we moved up to #2 in 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If Allen can't handle 50 games, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL period.

This take is even worse than you wanting Boudreau or Gallant. You’re on a role today. :P

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Hypothetic.

Assuming the Devils stay at 10, would you trade the 10th pick in the 2024 draft to Nashville for top prospect G Yaroslav Askarov?

In a heartbeat. Of course, Nashville wouldn’t agree lol.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

What would Ullmark cost?

Maybe the 10th and a Holtz or Casey. I’m inclined to hold onto Holtz as I’m still a big believer in him and will only judge him after he has an actual coach caring about his development. So, i’d shuttle the 10th and Casey to Boston so fast if they’d accept that.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This take is even worse than you wanting Boudreau or Gallant. You’re on a role today. :P

It's the offseason for us, we didn't make the playoffs, and the stupid Rags just won again, so I'm irritated and perhaps not on my game lol. But, I stand by the notion that goalies are coddled nowadays and it isn't unreasonable to expect a 33yr old Allen with less than 500 games played to play 50 next year. 😬

Edited by NJDfan1711

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Allen can’t handle a starter’s workload at his age. They would basically be conceding another year if they go into next season with that as their plan. 

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know that there is such thing as a "starter's workload" anymore.  50 games for Allen, 32 for John Doe (Kahkonen, Dawson, Schmid, etc).  That's what basically every other team in the league does, except for a handful. 

If Allen can't handle 50 games, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL period.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Allen, he’s here as the vet backup.  C’mon, every NHL goalie should be able to start 50 games or they’re not NHL-worthy?  There’s plenty of room in the NHL for solid backups who are expected to start 20-30 games in any given season.

so-many.gif

I think that as a fanbase there is still a legacy of us being used to your goaltender being able to play 70+ games in the regular season.

Anything less is seen as a failure. Especially since the guy that used to do it mostly ate pizza.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think that as a fanbase there is still a legacy of us being used to your goaltender being able to play 70+ games in the regular season.

Anything less is seen as a failure. Especially since the guy that used to do it mostly ate pizza.

70 is a far cry from 50 lol. I fully recognize that Brodeur was simply a different animal. Even with many goalies playing a lot more games back in the day than they do now, Marty was simply on another level. Not many guys played 70+ games back then, or at least not nearly as often as he did. 

But yeah, 50 isn't 70. Really, it's not even close lol. It's a 20 game difference, so in an 82 game season that's 25% less. You're gonna tell me an average goalie these days can't play 25% less than what Marty did for most of his career? 

Someone has to take the lion's share of games, meaning someone has to play at least half.... Aka 41 games.  So what's so ridiculous about bumping that up 9 games to 50?   Unless we're talking about teams splitting up an 82 game season across three goalies rather than two, and if that's the case then I would suggest that that's ridiculous. 

57 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/latest-news/elliotte-friedman-on-new-ottawa-senators-coach-travis-green-he-can-be-a-bit-of-a-prick-at-times

I suspected this about Green. He may have been the disciplanarian you all wanted. Another hockey news story has us in on Woodcroft too. 

He came in saying guys would sit.... and then he sat Nemec... and only Nemec.

Smith made countless bad penalties, never saw a reduction in ice time (yes, he is absolutely my whipping boy but he was BRUTAL before and after the change). Luke could have very justifiably sat a game or two, just like Simon, but never happened.

They brought up young guys, never let them get a feel, even after they had blown their chance at the post season. It was the perfect time to see what some guys had, and reward some of the Utica horses, and they kept status quo.

Good riddance to Green.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/latest-news/elliotte-friedman-on-new-ottawa-senators-coach-travis-green-he-can-be-a-bit-of-a-prick-at-times

I suspected this about Green. He may have been the disciplanarian you all wanted. Another hockey news story has us in on Woodcroft too. 

The Devils definitely need a disciplinarian, but it’s important they find the right disciplinarian.  Based on the team’s play on his watch, Green isn’t that guy.  I wish him well with the Senators, but I’m happy Fitz is exploring other options.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

‘The Ottawa Senators appear to have hired a new head coach who believes in tough love—a coach who will tell players what he thinks and hold them accountable, like it or not.’  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Riiiiiight 

Who was held accountable here? Anyone besides Nemec?

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

‘The Ottawa Senators appear to have hired a new head coach who believes in tough love—a coach who will tell players what he thinks and hold them accountable, like it or not.’  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Riiiiiight 

Who was held accountable here? Anyone besides Nemec?

Here’s the list:

Holtz

Holtz

Holtz

Holtz

Holtz

Nemec

• Like 3
  • Haha 1