Shanahan joins Devils

jkrdevil

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) has been banging on about this for MONTHS.

Bang on an apple tree hard enough, a few are bound to fall on your head.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, you summed it up for me.

i was about to post today that the devils do need depth for the playoffs - their alternate winger being sheldon brookbank - but i don't see what shanahan adds. plus he will likely get something like 4 million a season which will eat all our cap space.

He's a beast on the PP, which has been embarrassing lately, and he can play with Dog and Pando, and maybe they'll actually START SCORING. I love this pickup.

I dont mind this move at all.

I understand why Lou and probably Sutter made this move.

The powerplay has been an absolute joke, with guys being unable to shoot the puck, its not even setting up, its just shooting the damn frickin puck.

The PP is a joke in large part because Sutter has not put the correct personnel out there. i hate to repeat this every day, but Rolston has proven that he CANNOT be the guy to QB a PP. He cannot skate the puck up and can't be the one to decide where it's going.

The 5F PP has been an epic failure, yet sutter keeps putting it out there.

His unwillingness to simply put the 1st and 2nd lines out there with Martin and Oduya, Mottau and Greene also shows a stubborness that I simply cannot understand.

Lamoriello said Shanahan has not yet signed a contract and expects that to be finalized over the next few days. In the meantime, Shanahan will begin skating in New Jersey while the Devils are on a six-game road trip.

Chere

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/01...ed_shanaha.html

Guess we won't know the numbers for a little bit.

haha, you summed it up for me.

i was about to post today that the devils do need depth for the playoffs - their alternate winger being sheldon brookbank - but i don't see what shanahan adds. plus he will likely get something like 4 million a season which will eat all our cap space.

LOL, $4 million? C'mon now. Lou isn't stupid. Shanny probably just wanted to play and knew if he was going to play this year, it would have to be on someone else's terms- not his. I'm guessing when he does officially sign, it will be in the range of maybe 1 or 2 million TOPS. Other than maybe being able to help the power play, Shanny isn't bringing much to the table anymore. I feel the same as you on this one- conflicted at best.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) has been banging on about this for MONTHS.

But it was dead. You see how many times Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) posts that a player movement is imminent and it doesn't happen.

I am about 99.9999% sure that he had absolutely no idea this was going to happen.

LOL, $4 million? C'mon now. Lou isn't stupid. Shanny probably just wanted to play and knew if he was going to play this year, it would have to be on someone else's terms- not his. I'm guessing when he does officially sign, it will be in the range of maybe 1 or 2 million TOPS. Other than maybe being able to help the power play, Shanny isn't bringing much to the table anymore. I feel the same as you on this one- conflicted at best.

Does the name "Brett Farve" ring a bell?

This is a move to get ready to move someone else later on. :koolaid:

Speaking of....

What number do you think he will get? He wont get 11 or 14 and Lou would go nuts if he took 94, his Hartford number. Probably 21 or 22?

I was thinking 10 or 18.

Can't take 22, that's on hold for when we trade for Claude Lemieux. :giggle:

----------------------------

From Fire & Ice http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/01...-shanahan.html:

The Devils believe Shanahan can help their struggling power play and penalty kill.

"I would say the major impetus of this was what he can bring to our power play and specialty teams, - which has really been a forte of his in most recent years -- and where we are at when we examine our team the 40-game mark," Lamoriello said. "Brent (Sutter) and I spoke of this potential situation that could come about and we both felt extremely strong that Brendan could add to that, plus what he brings to the overall lineup with experience."

Shanahan has sat out all season after becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He played the last two seasons for the Rangers.

Lamoriello said Shanahan has been working out on his own, though he has not been affiliated with an NHL team.

"He has been skating on his own and working out with the anticipation of coming back," Lamoriello said.

Lamoriello admitted he first spoke with Shanahan back in September, but said did not decide to sign him until the last couple of days.

"We have spoken to him like a lot of other people, earlier in September and throughout the year and yesterday I sat down with him and spent a period of time with him. And this morning we spoke again and the decision was made that he would come aboard."

Does the name "Brett Farve" ring a bell?

This is a move to get ready to move someone else later on. :koolaid:

Yeah, Brett Favre certainly rings a bell. Best thing to happen to my favorite football team in a long time. :D As far as moving someone else, Brookbank should be on the next flight out of Newark to anywhere.

I have no idea what to say about this move. I thought we might try to get younger at the deadline with our core of veterans continuing to be the voice in the locker room. Instead we get older and bring ANOTHER veteran voice into the locker room.

Could this be a good move? Of course it could be, but we're going to have to wait a while to find out.