Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Jagr for Bennett is impossible - the Penguins are right up against the cap.  They'd have to get rid of some salary and I don't see how they can do that.

I haven't looked up each team's situation, but Don Maloney (Arizona GM) said on WFAN yesterday that this is definitely a problem with some playoff (and possible playoff) teams...it's not that they don't want to add players, it's that they really can't. 

I haven't looked up each team's situation, but Don Maloney (Arizona GM) said on WFAN yesterday that this is definitely a problem with some playoff (and possible playoff) teams...it's not that they don't want to add players, it's that they really can't. 

There's gotta be some clever work-around that teams will employ to shift salary around.

That really blows then

I haven't looked up each team's situation, but Don Maloney (Arizona GM) said on WFAN yesterday that this is definitely a problem with some playoff (and possible playoff) teams...it's not that they don't want to add players, it's that they really can't.

I can't wait to be nine points out at the deadline and read all the complaining after we get a crap return for Jagr, no return for Zid and maybe a late rounder for Ryder. The comical thing is that's probably all that would happen if we were three points out minus maybe a Ruutu type 'buy'

I can't wait to be nine points out at the deadline and read all the complaining after we get a crap return for Jagr, no return for Zid and maybe a late rounder for Ryder. The comical thing is that's probably all that would happen if we were three points out minus maybe a Ruutu type 'buy'

you got that right! That's all Lou could get for him? He's damned if he does either way

Yeah can't wait for more mindless rambling and finger-pointing about Lou from SD, that'll be great.

We all know that's coming...the irony will be that Lou will have for the first time ever (not accurate, but when has SD ever cared about that?) traded "assets" that there's a possible-to-strong chance that the Devils won't re-sign, and SD (and some others, to be fair) will then complain about the returns not being enough.  The "Lou needs to least get SOMETHING" mantra will go right out the window if the "somethings" aren't anything great.  Which they won't be. 

We all know that's coming...the irony will be that Lou will have for the first time ever (not accurate, but when has SD ever cared about that?) traded "assets" that there's a possible-to-strong chance that the Devils won't re-sign, and SD (and some others, to be fair) will then complain about the returns not being enough. The "Lou needs to least get SOMETHING" mantra will go right out the window if the "somethings" aren't anything great. Which they won't be.

Thats what people with idiotic, non-sensical arguments do- move the goal posts to fit their idiotic, non-sensical arguments. Edited by MadDog2020

I'd like to see what the possible markets for NJ's guys are, but without capgeek it's just impossible to tell what kind of room everyone has.  That site was so invaluable.

Admittedly, I wasn't thinking about that part of the equation until I heard Maloney bring it up.  He actually sounded a little despondent over it.

I'd like to see what the possible markets for NJ's guys are, but without capgeek it's just impossible to tell what kind of room everyone has.  That site was so invaluable.

To everyone except Gary Bettman, who has said that the information on that site has no value to fans.  :rolleyes:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/25/bettman-downplays-capgeek-style-site-idea-its-not-something-driving-fan-interest/

Edited by Chuck the Duck

it boggles the mind that someone hasn't tried to fill the void better than nhlnumbers.

the guy that ran capgeek obviously had health issues and that's what caused it to stop, but i'm surprised that someone couldn't take up it's mantle and he could still collect revenue.

i love how betteman says it's something that the fans don't really want and that's why the NHL doesn't do it. its obvious that it was something the owners really disliked as it made it quite obvious when they had money to spend and didn't spend it. i'm sure the players didn't love it either because it left a big target on their backs also.

SD you are about to be the first person I block on this forum. Can we please just start an SD rant thread so he doesn't poison EVERY other thread with his nonsense? This is about the 2015 trade deadline, not 2013 or 2012.

On topic- rental prices seem to be quite high, I hope Lou realizes this, sucks it up and dumps zidlicky and jagr for anything, I'd say Ryder too but we know he probably would return a 6th rounder at best.

Bettman...now that's a guy who's in touch with what the fans want.  If he was he would've resigned a long time ago.

Yeah, miss capgeek a lot.  And yeah, players and GMs probably aren't too sorry to see it go.

The capgeek guy clearly saw it as a personal project and didn't want to have someone else continue it.  There is a site coming that should fill the void, but it happened quite suddenly - and what kind of idiot is going to program a site to try to compete with capgeek?  It was clearly the best.

As for the NHL not running its own capgeek, that seems obvious - they don't like the discussions about numbers and see no value in providing that sort of content.  Basically anyone who gives a damn about salaries is already on board as an NHL fan, they don't really need to cater to that person.  As someone pointed out, if they wanted the numbers to be out there, all teams would be disclosing salary information.

Edited by Triumph

SD you are about to be the first person I block on this forum. Can we please just start an SD rant thread so he doesn't poison EVERY other thread with his nonsense? This is about the 2015 trade deadline, not 2013 or 2012.

On topic- rental prices seem to be quite high, I hope Lou realizes this, sucks it up and dumps zidlicky and jagr for anything, I'd say Ryder too but we know he probably would return a 6th rounder at best.

re:  Ryder, the guy actually has the potential be a bit of a bargain for the 6th- or 7th-rounder it will take to get him.  I can't see how a healthy scratch on a not-good team can possibly fetch more than that.  I don't care about what Lou gets back for him...I just want him gone (even though he practically is already). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

re: Ryder, the guy actually has the potential be a bit of a bargain for the 6th- or 7th-rounder it will take to get him. I can't see how a healthy scratch on a not-good team can possibly fetch more than that. I don't care about what Lou gets back for him...I just want him gone (even though he practically is already).

what contender would see Ryder as an upgrade to what they currently have? He's barely a 3rd line player now. I would think there are a lot better options available...

what contender would see Ryder as an upgrade to what they currently have? He's barely a 3rd line player now. I would think there are a lot better options available...

Such a team would have to be a believer that Ryder was somehow in a bad situation with the Devils and/or wasn't used properly.  Remember that the other options might be much more costly.  You can basically get Ryder almost for free.  He could be someone's Steve Sullivan. 

Honestly if Jagr doesnt get at least a 3rd whats the point in trading him

He looks and sounds like he's just done here.  I like Jagr and appreciate what he did overall as a Devil, but there's no reason to keep him around if he's not into it anymore.  You can give Paul Thompson or Mike Sislo (or both) a look (though neither is likely to be a long-term answer to anything).   

The capgeek guy clearly saw it as a personal project and didn't want to have someone else continue it.  There is a site coming that should fill the void, but it happened quite suddenly - and what kind of idiot is going to program a site to try to compete with capgeek?  It was clearly the best.

As for the NHL not running its own capgeek, that seems obvious - they don't like the discussions about numbers and see no value in providing that sort of content.  Basically anyone who gives a damn about salaries is already on board as an NHL fan, they don't really need to cater to that person.  As someone pointed out, if they wanted the numbers to be out there, all teams would be disclosing salary information.

Pure speculation, but I think he got some sort cease and desist. Maybe he had some sort of access to information he shouldn't have is my guess.

How is this one?  I didn't open it but this was linked on the article that Bettman was in: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/