Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

8 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Anyone think Shero is already working on an extension or will he wait to see how he fits in? I think just by trading with the Rags and giving up a second tells me he really was targeting him.

you'd think so... he made a point after the Henrique Vatanen trade that the extra year was really important towards what he's building. 

That being said, Mojo's situation might be the reason behind all this too. Hopefully there's no step back though

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

you'd think so... he made a point after the Henrique Vatanen trade that the extra year was really important towards what he's building. 

That being said, Mojo's situation might be the reason behind all this too. Hopefully there's no step back though

Multiple concussions are no joke, esp if in one season.  Body can only take so many hits to the head

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I am not sure if this trade is done if Mojo is healthy, although Grabner would be a welcome addition either way. Anything that gets Hays or Stafford more time in the pressbox. 

I give Ray credit for having the guts to make this deal because it has the very real possibility of blowing up in his face a few years down the road.  Picking up Grabner is a good move and should help us make the playoffs this year.  But this is an overpayment for a 2 month rental.  We now have no 2nd or 3rd round picks in a deep draft, for an organization that is midway through its rebuild and really has little depth in the org. overall.  Plus, on top of the pick, we throw in our best D prospect.  You can rationalize it all you want, and make yourselves feel better by saying he might never come over to play in the NHL, but this is a bad trade in the long run, which is exactly what this team should continue to look towards. 

And for anyone questioning whether Rykov will ever come over here, deep down you all know he will now that he has the attraction of playing in the World's Most Famous under the bright lights of Broadway.  How could he possibly turn that down?

13 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I give Ray credit for having the guts to make this deal because it has the very real possibility of blowing up in his face a few years down the road.  Picking up Grabner is a good move and should help us make the playoffs this year.  But this is an overpayment for a 2 month rental.  We now have no 2nd or 3rd round picks in a deep draft, for an organization that is midway through its rebuild and really has little depth in the org. overall.  Plus, on top of the pick, we throw in our best D prospect.  You can rationalize it all you want, and make yourselves feel better by saying he might never come over to play in the NHL, but this is a bad trade in the long run, which is exactly what this team should continue to look towards. 

And for anyone questioning whether Rykov will ever come over here, deep down you all know he will now that he has the attraction of playing in the World's Most Famous under the bright lights of Broadway.  How could he possibly turn that down?

we don't know if Grabner is just a rental. These are not the Lou Devils anymore where you just knew some guys were rentals and no effort would be made to re sign them even if they went on a good run with us. If Grabner works out and is a good fit maybe we re-sign him.

That's true we don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, but how often do thirds become anything anyway? Look at the 2014 NHL draft. One third rounder worth a damn. Brayden Point. Second rounders have more value but sometimes you have to make a move to get immediate impact. Plus the Devils this off-season have the money to bolster the team by signing a UFA like Carlson. 

The time for just hording picks is over. Though that doesn't mean we should  be trading them left and right

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Between Hall, Wood, and now Grabner we have arguably 3 of the top 10 fastest skaters in the league. Safe to say we’re one of the, if not THE, fastest teams in the league?

Seen quite a few quotes from opposing coaches saying NJ is the fastest team in the league, so...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, '7' said:

we don't know if Grabner is just a rental. These are not the Lou Devils anymore where you just knew some guys were rentals and no effort would be made to re sign them even if they went on a good run with us. If Grabner works out and is a good fit maybe we re-sign him.

That's true we don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year, but how often do thirds become anything anyway? Look at the 2014 NHL draft. One third rounder worth a damn. Brayden Point. Second rounders have more value but sometimes you have to make a move to get immediate impact. Plus the Devils this offseason have the money to bolster the team by signing a UFA like Carlson

Almost all draft picks are crapshoots.  However, you need to have them to be able to have a successful franchise.  Plus, this was a 2nd round pick, and our best defensive prospect.  Grabner, a streaky player that is not used on the PP, is not worth that kind of a return IMO.  This move reeks of something Lou would have done in the mid to late-2000's, where we give up picks and prospects for rentals with the hope that they help push us forward on a cup run.  That kind of thinking only makes sense if a team is in or near the end of its cup window.  However, this team has no realistic shot at winning a Stanley Cup this year and our window has barely begun to open.  I just don't see how this fits into our rebuild, which should still be the plan going on here.    

If Rykov was our best defensive prospect then we don't have much to look forward to in terms of defensive prospects (who many times mature later anyway) Our D will be bolstered through free agency or European/collegiate signings like Butcher. Not a 2nd round pick in 2018 that becomes a reliable defenseman in 2023

Edited by '7'
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Almost all draft picks are crapshoots.  However, you need to have them to be able to have a successful franchise.  Plus, this was a 2nd round pick, and our best defensive prospect.  Grabner, a streaky player that is not used on the PP, is not worth that kind of a return IMO.  This move reeks of something Lou would have done in the mid to late-2000's, where we give up picks and prospects for rentals with the hope that they help push us forward on a cup run.  That kind of thinking only makes sense if a team is in or near the end of its cup window.  However, this team has no realistic shot at winning a Stanley Cup this year and our window has barely begun to open.  I just don't see how this fits into our rebuild, which should still be the plan going on here.    

The difference is that the Devils are ostensibly dealing from strength here - I don't think they're dealing a 2nd round pick just because that's what was required to get Grabner, but they've also got a pretty full cupboard in terms of young players.  Weirdly, LHD is one of the spots that isn't full, but you've got Butcher and Mueller at the NHL level plus Davies and the mystery box of LHD below that.  

The reason why the Devils were almost always renting at the deadline in those days is because they didn't have the cap space to re-sign anyone.  The Devils will have $25 million in cap space this off-season and the only major player they need to re-sign is Miles Wood.  

2 hours ago, lucifer91 said:

I am curious what the healthy lineup will be

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Grabner
Wood-Zajac-Noesen
Coleman-Boyle-Gibbons/Bratt

Hayes, Stafford?

I don't see Bratt dropping to the 4th line, he'll probably be a top 6 fixture. If/when we're all healthy, I'd expect something like

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Johansson - Zacha - Bratt
Wood - Zajac - Grabner
Gibbons - Boyle - Noesen
Coleman, Stafford/Hayes

Basically my thought process is to counter Zajac's offensive deficiencies with blazing speed on the wings that can create chances out of nowhere, so even if Zajac isn't creating offense the line as a whole can by just using their legs on the rush and on the forecheck

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1