2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

13 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Really wish we re-signed Maroon even if it was a dramatic overpay. Hope Shero has a gameplan for this metric fvckton of cap space we have this year and next; letting it sit is a pretty unbelievable waste of an asset that most teams don’t possess. 

there's like 40 something guys filling for arbitration so it usually means they'll get more than the GM would want either way and many of those teams are nearing the ceiling so they will have to make some moves to clear space and that's where Shero usually strike. See Palmieri and Mojo.

The cap rising by like 5m didn't help though, usually teams are a bit more strapped and in trouble than this at this time of the year. 

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

To be fair, the Palmieri, MoJo and Hall trades were all much earlier in the offseason. I think, though, the entire league is kind of sitting on their hands while waiting for the Karlsson shoe to drop. I also think I just mixed two different phrases, so I’m going to make like a tree and fvck myself.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'll decide how upset I am when I see his terms, but STL is where his kid is so I can't fault him. I figured it was coming. He took a while to decide though so I wonder if he wanted to stay in NJ that bad or maybe wanted to bring his kid here.

I'm pretty sure he isn't with his kids mother so there wasn't much chance of the kid actually coming here anyway. I remember that being the reason he got all choked up when the Oilers played in St. Louis in that one interview. 

• Like 2

FWIW:    Devils Insiders Retweeted:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏Verified account @jprutherford 

Maroon update: Agent @BenHankinson tells The Athletic that no decision is expected tonight, and that while the Blues remain a “strong option,” there are other teams still in the mix. #stlblues

Michael Russo ‏Verified account @RussoHockey 

Hankinson confirmed #stlblues are 1 of those teams interested in Maroon and they're deciding between 1, 2, 3 year deals with multiple teams. Has talked to #mnwild about Maroon, they like him, but they'd have to make a trade to sign him. Sounded like Maroon wouldn't wait for that.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not surprised and really don't care. 

Me either. People post things about him like he was here forever and it’s some big loss. He’s a nice player, but he was here for a minute against his will. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Me either. People post things about him like he was here forever and it’s some big loss. He’s a nice player, but he was here for a minute against his will. 

Honestly I'm more surprised we traded for him to begin with because if I could take 2 mins and do a Google search about him it was clear as day he was going to St. Louis first shot he had and was gonna be nothing more than a rental.

He wanted to be closer to his kid and since he's not with the kids mom it's not like he can just move them wherever(financially obviously he can but you know it wasn't gonna happen) and apparently his current gf lives in St Louis too so yeah this was a no brainer. 

This video is from last year.... 

• Like 1

(If this is true) One year at !.7 is the best he could do? Going "home" is nice i guess, but apparently other teams didn't think all that highly of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not a big loss, but he made the team better. He brought size upfront that only Noesen really fills now. Who else is going to take the spot in front of the net? Brian Boyle? Lol. 

No one is overly sentimental. He simply made the team better. 

Interesting wrinkle to the Maroon story. Phil Maroon, Pat's brother, is all over Twitter calling out Lou Korac and others' Maroon rumors (saying "done deal", etc.) as "100% inaccurate" as recently as last night (10:33pm). He's sent a bunch of replies to people on Twitter and reporters saying the rumors aren't true. Interesting...

Just now, DJ Eco said:

Interesting wrinkle to the Maroon story. Phil Maroon, Pat's brother, is all over Twitter calling out Lou Korac and others' Maroon rumors (saying "done deal", etc.) as "100% inaccurate" as recently as last night (10:33pm). He's sent a bunch of replies to people on Twitter and reporters saying the rumors aren't true. Interesting...

"Done deal pal!  Done Deal!"

(Stern fans might get that reference)

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

"Done deal pal!  Done Deal!"

(Stern fans might get that reference)

I used to be a huge Stern fan, but lost all respect for him after he made up with Rosie and talked about how "talented" she is.  I pretty much stopped listening after he went to satellite.  Still, I'm missing the reference. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I used to be a huge Stern fan, but lost all respect for him after he made up with Rosie and talked about how "talented" she is.  I pretty much stopped listening after he went to satellite.  Still, I'm missing the reference. 

I stopped listening to Stern around 2011/12 timeframe.  Ever since he got that new manager there who is trying to move him away from the humor he was known for and towards mainstream he has gotten boring.  Plus his incredible jealousy of how much attention Sal & Richard have gotten with their antics as well as his treatment of Artie (which I also believe is a result of him being jealous of how much attention he was getting on the show) really started to sour me with him.  Add in there him only being on 3 days a week and Robin getting even more full of herself (which I didn't think was possible) finally made me get rid of the full SiriusXM package and just the music package.

The reference was to a prank call Sal & Richard made about 10 years ago.  They used clips of Ronnie the Limo Driver's voice and called a mechanic who went absolutely ballistic on the call.  It is below and it is very NSFW.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I stopped listening to Stern around 2011/12 timeframe.  Ever since he got that new manager there who is trying to move him away from the humor he was known for and towards mainstream he has gotten boring.  Plus his incredible jealousy of how much attention Sal & Richard have gotten with their antics as well as his treatment of Artie (which I also believe is a result of him being jealous of how much attention he was getting on the show) really started to sour me with him.  Add in there him only being on 3 days a week and Robin getting even more full of herself (which I didn't think was possible) finally made me get rid of the full SiriusXM package and just the music package.

The reference was to a prank call Sal & Richard made about 10 years ago.  They used clips of Ronnie the Limo Driver's voice and called a mechanic who went absolutely ballistic on the call.  It is below and it is very NSFW.

Thanks.  Dracula Gottfried was the best though.

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Thanks.  Dracula Gottfried was the best though.

lol he was up there.  The Sal & Richard tradio calls were also awesome.  My brother loves the one where they call up and ask to put a $25 Tim Horton's gift card up for sale for $50 and the announcer gets annoyed at them.

6 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Ray now has to find more size up front.  Possibilities?

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He brought size upfront that only Noesen really fills now. 

He brought the size upfront for 17 games. 

Not that he didn't play well, he did, but he was traded, he immediately said he wouldn't rule out signing in Edmonton again after the season, and his kid is in St. Louis. Why would anyone think that he was going to re-sign in New Jersey?

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not that he didn't play well, he did, but he was traded, he immediately said he wouldn't rule out signing in Edmonton again after the season, and his kid is in St. Louis. Why would anyone think that he was going to re-sign in New Jersey?

He has ties to the NJ area and apparently liked his time here.  He can help put the puck in the net, but he's just really slow.  Some say he 's the slowest skater in the league.  So I'm guessing Ray doesn't want to give him more than two years at the absolute most. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why does NJ have any less chance than anyone else? No one here said it was a 100% sure thing he would, just that it would be nice if he did. NJ made the playoffs... The money the team would pay him is just as green as anywhere else... 

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Why does NJ have any less chance than anyone else? No one here said it was a 100% sure thing he would, just that it would be nice if he did. NJ made the playoffs... The money the team would pay him is just as green as anywhere else... 

Agreed, totally. To the contrary, he has a 17 game head start over other teams he hasn't played for, he knows the system, the people, the area, etc.  

But the way some people are talking about him its like he was a NJ fixture for years and we're letting him walk away. Its not that situation. I would be very happy if he was re-signed, I'm just not on board with being upset that he's "walking away" after being on the team for a very short time and not by his own choosing. 

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some say he 's the slowest skater in the league.  

Honestly, the guy is really slow. But somehow he's always in the right place when he needs to be there. Very rarely out of position. I only remember one time where he got absolutely burned by speed. 

I think he has tremendous hockey sense which fills in that gap that his speed would otherwise leave. He KNOWS how to utilize what he has so he's not completely hampered by what he doesn't have. 

Interesting Stat of the Day: Maroon played 17 regular season games and had 10 Assists. That ties him for 15th overall on our team for the entire season. Compare to:

Brian Boyle: 69G, 10 A

Blake Coleman: 79G, 12 A

Miles Wood: 76G, 13A

Brian Gibbons: 59G, 14A

Travis Zajac: 63G, 14 A

Stefan Noesen: 72G, 14 A

He also had the exact same stats as Andy Greene (3G, 10A), who needed 81 games to get there. I get he's a defenseman, but it was an an interesting comparison to me. 

All of the above says to me that despite his slow motion skating, Maroon knows what he's doing.