2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

On 9/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, bobilly45 said:

That's how I feel about any sport when they threaten or actually lockout their season.  They're playing a game for a living and making millions off it.....its entertainment. Yes they love the game,but love the $ more.

The reality is they dont hurt the owners or the players when they lockout in the long term....its the refs, stadium workers, team workers, and everyone who makes a living working for the game who suffers and are out of a check for however long it takes to get back.

That does seem to be the case all too often....

On 9/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, bobilly45 said:

That's how I feel about any sport when they threaten or actually lockout their season.  They're playing a game for a living and making millions off it.....its entertainment. Yes they love the game,but love the $ more.

To be fair, lockouts are when the owners decide to literally lock players out. I believe all of the NHL's missed seasons have been lockouts and not strikes. 

I don't see why they can't play on the current deal while they negotiate. Or, even crazier... NEGOTIATE BEFORE THAT INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE F'N CHILDREN.

The thing that always drives me insane is hearing about regular team employees being laid off. Those poor people get screwed.

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

That's why most people hate that arrogant piece of crap, bettman. Will say how great the league is doing, for a bunch of years in the middle of the cba,  then say there's no chioice but to force a lockout. And I'm usually on the owner's side, but never on that weasel's side. 

Let's just drop the puck tomorrow and play hockey. LGD!

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To be fair, lockouts are when the owners decide to literally lock players out. I believe all of the NHL's missed seasons have been lockouts and not strikes. 

I don't see why they can't play on the current deal while they negotiate. Or, even crazier... NEGOTIATE BEFORE THAT INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE F'N CHILDREN.

The thing that always drives me insane is hearing about regular team employees being laid off. Those poor people get screwed.

Why does the little guy always get it in the end?

7 hours ago, eldon said:

That's why most people hate that arrogant piece of crap, bettman. Will say how great the league is doing, for a bunch of years in the middle of the cba,  then say there's no chioice but to force a lockout. And I'm usually on the owner's side, but never on that weasel's side. 

Let's just drop the puck tomorrow and play hockey. LGD!

Agree with you on Bettman, but I take the players' side, because it's the owners and GMs who are forever incapable of restraining themselves...and then the owners always cry "We can't keep going like this, blah blah blah..." 

But whenever one of these lockouts happens, I generally get fed up with everyone.  And like DD56 alluded to, it's the fact that so many people get screwed who don't deserve to.  Like he said, for once, grow the fvck up, and figure out a way to get this done without chopping down or losing a season.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The players did strike in 1992, but it only lasted 2 weeks and was before Bettman (it is also a good chunk of the reason why Bettman is commissioner).

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with you on Bettman, but I take the players' side, because it's the owners and GMs who are forever incapable of restraining themselves...and then the owners always cry "We can't keep going like this, blah blah blah..." 

But whenever one of these lockouts happens, I generally get fed up with everyone.  And like DD56 alluded to, it's the fact that so many people get screwed who don't deserve to.  Like he said, for once, grow the fvck up, and figure out a way to get this done without chopping down or losing a season.  

For me it is 50/50.  The owners did have a legitimate issue where the current model was not going to be able to sustain itself and out of the four major sports in NA, player salaries counted for the highest % of team expenses.  I think I read that going into the 2005 lockout that all but about 3-5 teams were either barely breaking even or losing money.  Yeah it is the owners fault for not controlling themselves with the handing out of these silly contracts, but the players were crazy to think that the gravy train could continue and there were instances were the players union getting annoyed at players accepting salaries for less than what they thought they were worth.  Hell Marty even said that happened to him in his book (and I think it was more than once).

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

For me it is 50/50.  The owners did have a legitimate issue where the current model was not going to be able to sustain itself and out of the four major sports in NA, player salaries counted for the highest % of team expenses.  I think I read that going into the 2005 lockout that all but about 3-5 teams were either barely breaking even or losing money.  Yeah it is the owners fault for not controlling themselves with the handing out of these silly contracts, but the players were crazy to think that the gravy train could continue and there were instances were the players union getting annoyed at players accepting salaries for less than what they thought they were worth.  Hell Marty even said that happened to him in his book (and I think it was more than once).

I agree that it's 50/50. Lack of restraint on both sides leads to this every 5-10 years, and the owners are loyal to Bettman because he has lead the league through a ton of growth as much as I can't stand him. What bothers me every time is that no other sport goes through this and at this point it's a given instead of a rarity. Contracts these days are literally written with lockout coverage and that makes me believe it'll be the new normal as they continue to kick the can down the road. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For some reason, the last one in 2012 pissed me off even more...to the point where I didn't even want to hang out in my basement much, because even seeing all of my Devils stuff would just aggravate me.  I'm tired of looking up certain players' numbers and seeing 48 GP played in 1995, NO GAMES played in 2004-05, and 48 GP in 2013.  It's sad that some players in the thick of their primes lost a whole fvcking season to this crap.  Sad and incredibly frustrating.

The 2004-05 lockout was crushing for us.  After it ends, Stevens retires, Nieds leaves for ANA, and we are a completely different team than we were before it happened. 

While it pisses me off that this league and Bettman seem to thoroughly enjoy labor strife, we are like sheep by coming back time after time, and they know it.   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The 2004-05 lockout was crushing for us.  After it ends, Stevens retires, Nieds leaves for ANA, and we are a completely different team than we were before it happened. 

While it pisses me off that this league and Bettman seem to thoroughly enjoy labor strife, we are like sheep by coming back time after time, and they know it.   

That's why I try to look as it as a financial benefit. Oh you guys don't wanna play at all or you only wanna play a half season? Ok more money in my pocket then for that season. 

Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed but when that stuff happens I don't spend money on anything NHL/Devils related besides my season tickets. 

Life is too short to spite my nose off to cut my face and cancel my seasons over the lockout issues when I enjoy going so much because the games will still be going on and someone else will just take my seats anyway. It is what it is. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Any of the hockey tonight going to be on TV/Radio? My friend said Dahlin is playing tonight but wasn't sure if that was going to be on TV either. Sabres are also MSG so it's probably not likely I imagine. 

EDIT: Disregard, checked it out myself on the official website. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Any of the hockey tonight going to be on TV/Radio? My friend said Dahlin is playing tonight but wasn't sure if that was going to be on TV either. Sabres are also MSG so it's probably not likely I imagine. 

EDIT: Disregard, checked it out myself on the official website. 

Devils-Rangers is on NHL Network tonight!

I haven't heard anything regarding the Devils-Habs game, but I can't imagine the Habs not broadcasting it, so I'm sure there'll be a stream online somewhere.

• Like 1

The idea that the players share blame 50/50 with the owners is ridiculous, as is the idea that players should've taken less money because the owners weren't making a profit.  It is not incumbent upon players that the owners make money - that is the owner's job, and if he cannot, then he should sell the business to someone who thinks he can.  The fact that the stewards for these teams were usually ex-players or otherwise nepotistically chosen people (and still are) should've been more of a point of examination.  It sure seemed like about 15 teams were counting on making the Conference Finals to turn a profit (and the Devils were one of these teams)

The players got nothing out of the 2012 lockout except for 'more than what was offered by ownership at the outset'.  These lockouts are deliberate, owners make more money by doing it, and it's not going to stop until the players decertify the union or make a legitimate threat to do so.

Edited by Triumph