Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

Now in third place and LA could pull within one point of us with a win tonight.

Can’t we  still make a trade with Columbus to get Kinkaid back for the last few games, as it only prevents whoever gets traded from playing in the playoffs?  Barring that, Cory and Mac need to go on a week long jack and crack bender.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Barring that, Cory and Mac need to go on a week long jack and crack bender.

Sneak into their equipment bag and reverse the orientation of their gloves. Let’s see how good they are with the blocker and catching gloves on the wrong hands!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Los Angeles didn't win but they still got a point. 

LA now 3-1-1 in their last 5.  They score a third-period goal to tie the game up before losing in the shootout.

Detroit now 5-1 in their last 6, after winning in OT. 

Fact is that no one is tanking.  Teams are playing the games and doing what professional athletes are supposed to...try to win each game and then see where they wind up.  No one is outright throwing games to try to improve their draft position, and that's how it should be. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

LA now 3-1-1 in their last 5.  They score a third-period goal to tie the game up before losing in the shootout.

Detroit now 5-1 in their last 6, after winning in OT. 

Fact is that no one is tanking.  Teams are playing the games and doing what professional athletes are supposed to...try to win each game and then see where they wind up.  No one is outright throwing games to try to improve their draft position, and that's how it should be. 

Except for tonight, right?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Who owns the tie breaker between us and LA?

Right now we have more ROW, god knows by the end of the season.

As for the greater number of points earned in games between them... we won a game 6-3 and they won 5-1. So we're tied.

then it's the greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season... we are -49 and they are -59

So yeah... if they could just have more points than us it would make things a lot simpler basically..

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Right now we have more ROW, god knows by the end of the season.

As for the greater number of points earned in games between them... we won a game 6-3 and they won 5-1. So we're tied.

then it's the greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season... we are -49 and they are -59

So yeah... if they could just have more points than us it would make things a lot simpler basically..

We could just have a tiebreaker game. Loser take all.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Call me crazy, but even at this stage of the season, I'm still of the mindset where I'm not upset if we lose because I know it's helping our off-season and future, but I'm still not upset if we win either.  

Well it helps and it doesn't.  Sure the loss last night was potentially great for draft positioning and the Rangers winning was an actual added bonus (yuck) but what exactly FROM last night's game would give anyone any warm and fuzzies about the team next year?  This is why I never get all in on the tank, it's not like all these guys are going to be gone.  You kind of need some of them to be part of the solution, especially after FOUR YEARS of the 'rebuild'.

The young forwards who didn't score against a mediocre team are still gonna be here.  Most of this defense that's crap is still gonna be here.  Other than Blackwood what from any of these recent games are worth pointing to and saying yeah that's a great sign for our future?  Zacha having a few good games?  LOL, call me when he actually sustains it for more than a week or two.  Nico and Bratt are already mostly established.  We have them and still stink, we need a lot more than that or any pick this offseason.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well it helps and it doesn't.  Sure the loss last night was potentially great for draft positioning and the Rangers winning was an actual added bonus (yuck) but what exactly FROM last night's game would give anyone any warm and fuzzies about the team next year?  This is why I never get all in on the tank, it's not like all these guys are going to be gone.  You kind of need some of them to be part of the solution, especially after FOUR YEARS of the 'rebuild'.

The young forwards who didn't score against a mediocre team are still gonna be here.  Most of this defense that's crap is still gonna be here.  Other than Blackwood what from any of these recent games are worth pointing to and saying yeah that's a great sign for our future?  Zacha having a few good games?  LOL, call me when he actually sustains it for more than a week or two.  Nico and Bratt are already mostly established.  We have them and still stink, we need a lot more than that or any pick this offseason.  

Yea, I get where you are coming from. I actually spent most of the game with a sinking "omg what have we done" Feeling. These forwards were our promising future and they stink. I kept returning my thoughts to the rest of the farm team and hoping they are the real deal and that Reilly Walsh somehow doesn't feel the need to bail on us and return to college and go the "bright lights brah" route next year.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Remember that our first teamers are playing with Scrubs who won’t even sniff the team next season. Line mates really affect a lot. On top of that, the motivation to win can’t all be there. 

Plus, our young players should take a step forward next season. Nico hasn’t broken out yet and when he does will be an all star caliber player. Hall’s return will be huge. Shero should add a piece or two. Add in a Hughes and I think we are ahead of where we were two years ago when we made our playoff run.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Devils ice time leader last night was Connor Carrick.  They played Nico 17 minutes.  We can keep going here but the Devils are still short a ton of players thanks to trades and injury.  They need a 2nd line and some D, but there are some bad players here who will be in Binghamton or not around at all next season.  They're not far away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I love how you seem to think 4 YEARS of rebuilt is a lot when you consider the state the team was in. It's not, we were soooooo damn stripped to the bone it's going to take a long ass time to rebuilt from that.

Over 4 years you only draft a handful of player who can play in the NHL. From that bunch, only a few are able to step in right away... some are years away from being NHLers. 

Then within 4 years... there's some players that was in your system that should be able to take the next step to the NHL. But our drafting has been sooooo bad before those 4 years that we don't have many players able to do that.

Then that's 4 years of potential free agengy... but let's be honest. We're not an attractive destination and our window to be contenders was still a few years away so not many top free agents wants to sign in NJ.

Then you can make trades but Shero didn't have much assets to play with and he actually did quite a good job with what he had.

• Like 2

The bigger problem I think most people have is that while it's still only 4 years into a real rebuild its 7 years with only  1 season of playoffs and only winning a single playoff game and 6 years of no playoffs. Besides last year it's been putrid being a fan of this team. 

I've never wanted a season to end more than this one and I'm actually thrilled tonight is my last home game since I used a buyback for Monday. 

Hell, Monday might be the least attended Rangers vs Devils regular season game ever since this is the first time both teams have ever missed the playoffs in the same season. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, devlman said:

Remember that our first teamers are playing with Scrubs who won’t even sniff the team next season. Line mates really affect a lot. On top of that, the motivation to win can’t all be there. 

Plus, our young players should take a step forward next season. Nico hasn’t broken out yet and when he does will be an all star caliber player. Hall’s return will be huge. Shero should add a piece or two. Add in a Hughes and I think we are ahead of where we were two years ago when we made our playoff run.

Yeah SAY we somehow land Hughes... suddenly we have 2 real top 6 centers...pushing down Zacha and Zajac... which makes one of them expendable. You don't really want to put one of them on the 4th line, they'd be perfect 3rd line but you'd think that it would be a good opportunity to look into trading Zacha for a D or something.

Then if we have 2 top C... THEN players like Panarin or Skinner may at least consider signing here. No top wingers want to sign here and play with Zacha. And behind Hall. But if you have 2 great C then it's a different story

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

The bigger problem I think most people have is that while it's still only 4 years into a real rebuild its 7 years with only  1 season of playoffs and only winning a single playoff game and 6 years of no playoffs. Besides last year it's been putrid being a fan of this team. 

I've never wanted a season to end more than this one and I'm actually thrilled tonight is my last home game since I used a buyback for Monday. 

Hell, Monday might be the least attended Rangers vs Devils regular season game ever since this is the first time both teams have ever missed the playoffs in the same season. 

Well that's all a result of the past management unwilling to accept reality and still played all their cards all-in and refusing to look at the future. Settling for a few extra very mediocre years with dellusions of mayyyybe being competitive, totally destroying our future. Plus Lou not willing to do annything about Conte and his terrible drafting approach and results over god knows how long

You reap what you sow. And for the fans who were supporting that approach years ago well... this is the result of a few "feel good" extra wins.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

The Devils ice time leader last night was Connor Carrick.  They played Nico 17 minutes.  We can keep going here but the Devils are still short a ton of players thanks to trades and injury.  They need a 2nd line and some D, but there are some bad players here who will be in Binghamton or not around at all next season.  They're not far away.

And one of those guys is McLeod, a first-round pick of THIS regime who looks like utter crap.  Even in the AHL he's only had six goals all season in 60 games.  They have plenty of younger guys either playing now or who've been in the lineup already who are supposed to be part of the solution at some point and very few of them have even come close to impressing.  I'd have liked to have seen Bastian get more of a shot but he went into the injury black hole as soon as he got here.  Rooney's been fine for what he is, so has Agostino but at best you're talking about a fourth and third-line tweener.

Edited by NJDevs4978