2019-2020 Training Camp Roster

Devil Dan 56

Starting to wonder about our logjam of forwards - it's a good problem to have but there doesn't seem to be enough space for everyone.

Let's state the obvious:

Hall - Nico - Palms

Gusev - Hughes - Simmonds

Boqvist - Zajac - Bratt 

Wood - Zacha - Coleman

Other notables:

Hayden, Anderson, Bastian, McLeod

Our 4th line could have, and would have, passed as our 3rd line in previous years.  Feels like a waste to have all three of those players seeing minimal minutes.

Seems like an obvious situation where Shero could maybe acquire a comparable defenseman for one/several of the bolded guys.

40 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Starting to wonder about our logjam of forwards - it's a good problem to have but there doesn't seem to be enough space for everyone.

Let's state the obvious:

Hall - Nico - Palms

Gusev - Hughes - Simmonds

Boqvist - Zajac - Bratt 

Wood - Zacha - Coleman

Other notables:

Hayden, Anderson, Bastian, McLeod

Our 4th line could have, and would have, passed as our 3rd line in previous years.  Feels like a waste to have all three of those players seeing minimal minutes.

Seems like an obvious situation where Shero could maybe acquire a comparable defenseman for one/several of the bolded guys.

Who knows how the lines shake out, but yeah, having a 22 goal scorer in Coleman on the 4th line does seem like a waste. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Who knows how the lines shake out, but yeah, having a 22 goal scorer in Coleman on the 4th line does seem like a waste. 

Depth is a great thing to have. All it takes is one injury and you have Coleman moving up. Simmons is already dealing with issues. 

You just never know. We had that freak Bratt injury last preseason too

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Depth is a great thing to have. All it takes is one injury and you have Coleman moving up. Simmons is already dealing with issues. 

True. And like I said we don’t know how the lines will end up. I doubt Coleman plays 4th line all season, but if he does a lot went right. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

True. And like I said we don’t know how the lines will end up. I doubt Coleman plays 4th line all season, but if he does a lot went right. 

With the way Coleman played last year, I agree that there's no way he stays on the 4th line all season. 22 goals on that team last year is nothing to sneeze at

yeah i actually kind of feel bad for Coleman and Zacha being pushed down the lineup so much but at the same time it shows that we have a good problem on our hands. And if they want to play for a successful team they'll understand that and try to move up instead of whining about their position

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

With the way Coleman played last year, I agree that there's no way he stays on the 4th line all season. 22 goals on that team last year is nothing to sneeze at

Not sure if he gets to 22 goals last season if it wasn't him playing a lot more minutes than he should have due to injuries last year.

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not sure if he gets to 22 goals last season if it wasn't him playing a lot more minutes than he should have due to injuries last year.

well it still means he "can". Hall was not winning the MVP by playing 4th line minutes either that year lol or put Woods on the first line. he won't score 30 either

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well it still means he "can". Hall was not winning the MVP by playing 4th line minutes either that year lol or put Woods on the first line. he won't score 30 either

It could also be a career year.

I like Coleman but I don't think we are missing out on a consistent year-in-year-out 20+ goal scorer here.

• Like 2

First set of cuts have been made.  No real surprises.

"New Jersey has assigned the following players to their junior teams:

Forwards- Mitchell Hoelscher (Ottawa, OHL) and Graeme Clarke (Ottawa, OHL)

Defensemen- Xavier Bernard (Charlottetown, QMJHL), Nikita Okhotyuk (Ottawa, OHL) and Michael Vukojevic (Kitchener, OHL)

Goaltender- Akira Schmid (Omaha, USHL) 

In addition, the club announced that goaltender Eamon McAdam has been assigned to Binghamton (AHL) and he will join their training camp when it opens."

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It could also be a career year.

I like Coleman but I don't think we are missing out on a consistent year-in-year-out 20+ goal scorer here.

From 3/6/18 through 1/28/19 (a stretch of 70 games, including playoffs), Coleman scored 27 goals.  Not saying that he'll ever enjoy another run like that...more saying that it's pretty amazing that it happened at all.  One thing I'll say for him is that he never struck me as being super "lucky".  Clarkson would sneeze in 2011-12 and while he was wiping his nose, a puck would go off his elbow and into the net.  Or at least it sure seemed like that at times. 

I think it all depends on how/where Coleman's used...I think he could flirt with around 20 goals in a lot of seasons, but it would probably be on weaker teams.  I get the feeling if all goes according to plan (minimal injuries), he won't be asked to score all that much.  But if there's any guy who's going to try to force his way onto higher lines, it would be him.  Love the way he plays (though some of those penalty minutes...).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Depth matters a lot - lets say it’s December 5th, there’s always going to injuries let’s say injury-wise it’s this just for argument’s sake: Simmonds, Vats, Zacha, Schneider the lineup could be this:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Gusev-Hughes-Palms

Coleman-Zajac-Boqvist

Wood-McLeod-Hayden

Pk-Sevs

Greene-Mueller

Smith-Butcher

Blackwood

Still much better than whatever was rolled out in the years past

• Like 2

If he scored 22 with this year's roster I would be fvcking elated, because the entire top 6 could potentially outscore him. I say potentially because injuries might affect that, plus Hughes and Gusev are basically unknown quantities until they play a real game with a real NHL lineup. 

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was going to say exactly this.  The injury bug will almost certainly come, we just don't know when.  

And I mentioned this at some point last season, but I'll reiterate that, I hardly ever view situations like this as a "waste", where you have a talented guy getting few minutes as a 3rd liner or even worse, as a 4th liner.  Sure you'd wish you could give top line minutes to all players that deserve it, but it's an amazingly awesome problem to have if you have a superstar guy who would on some teams be able to crack their 2nd line or even 1st line in some cases, yet for you he's pushed further down on the 3rd or 4th.  It's only a positive thing.  If you could have lines like this:

Gretzky - Lemieux - Jagr

Selanne - Hull - Forsberg

Bossy - Sakic - Bure

Roenick - Yzerman - Kucherov

No one would say "Damn, that's a waste to have Stevie Y on the 4th line", but rather, I think the consensus would be "holy fvck, my team is awesome, I have Yzerman on the 4th line"

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was going to say exactly this.  The injury bug will almost certainly come, we just don't know when.  

And I mentioned this at some point last season, but I'll reiterate that, I hardly ever view situations like this as a "waste", where you have a talented guy getting few minutes as a 3rd liner or even worse, as a 4th liner.  Sure you'd wish you could give top line minutes to all players that deserve it, but it's an amazingly awesome problem to have if you have a superstar guy who would on some teams be able to crack their 2nd line or even 1st line in some cases, yet for you he's pushed further down on the 3rd or 4th.  It's only a positive thing.  If you could have lines like this:

Gretzky - Lemieux - Jagr

Bossy - Sakic - Bure

No one would say "Damn, that's a waste to have Stevie Y on the 4th line", but rather, I think the consensus would be "holy fvck, my team is awesome, I have Yzerman on the 4th line"

Gretzky isn't going to play as a wing for Lemieux. 

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gretzky - Lemieux - Jagr

Bossy - Sakic - Bure

I think you’re getting a little carried away...lol