2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

48 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Training camp to veterans=BS. I'm not competing for a job, why go through all this gymnastics. I can work out/prepare on my own, i'll be there for hte last week. Ducks let Nieds slide when he was still playing. Vets hate training camp, which is all about a prospect or two making the team.This is what's going on with Buff?

Don't think so. If that were the case, the Jets/media would have made such a big deal out of it. He's expressed not enjoying playing, he chat Maurice and Cheveldayoff(sp?) and now the team moved to suspend him to make sure his salary doesn't hinder them. All signs point to early retirement or at least a leave of absence. Seems legit to me.

Edited by NJDevils1214

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Auston Matthews has been charged with disorderly conduct for dropping his pants in front of a security guard. 

Evidently he kept his man panties on, but was charged nonetheless. Too funny. 

TMZ Sports Link

I would love to pass judgment but if I had that kind of money when I was that age I might still be in jail

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Can't believe I was on Team Patrick. Glad much smarter people are in charge.

In fairness, not too many people were sure which of the two would turn out to be better at the time...it did kinda feel like a toss-up...I doubt you were alone.  And I'll admit it, if Shero had chosen Patrick over Nico, I probably would've supported it at the time...but once Ray chose Nico, I basically deferred to Shero from that point on.  I guess the camp I was in was "I trust Ray will make the right choice on this one, either way."

But damn, as far as Patrick goes, the needle seems to be moving more towards the "BUST" side of the meter every day.  It's not like he's missed a ton of games over his first two seasons (9 his first year, and 10 last year), but man he seems like he's awfully beat up for a 21-year-old.  He seems like a guy who'll have a shortened career not just due to general meh performance, but because his body can't take the grind of playing in the NHL. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness, not too many people were sure which of the two would turn out to be better at the time...it did kinda feel like a toss-up...I doubt you were alone.  And I'll admit it, if Shero had chosen Patrick over Nico, I probably would've supported it at the time...but once Ray chose Nico, I basically deferred to Shero from that point on.  I guess the camp I was in was "I trust Ray will make the right choice on this one, either way."

But damn, as far as Patrick goes, the needle seems to be moving more towards the "BUST" side of the meter every day.  It's not like he's missed a ton of games over his first two seasons (9 his first year, and 10 last year), but man he seems like he's awfully beat up for a 21-year-old.  He seems like a guy who'll have a shortened career not just due to general meh performance, but because his body can't take the grind of playing in the NHL. 

I posted the day we won the lottery something to the extent of "Nolan here we come!" and then as the draft got closer, I started to lean towards Nico but I had zero real idea about either.

I do feel for the kid, drafted with an injury and, like you said, seems to have a lot of hard miles on him for only being 21 and starting his 3rd season.

Just now, jagknife said:

I posted the day we won the lottery something to the extent of "Nolan here we come!" and then as the draft got closer, I started to lean towards Nico but I had zero real idea about either.

I do feel for the kid, drafted with an injury and, like you said, seems to have a lot of hard miles on him for only being 21 and starting his 3rd season.

I can almost see him making a tearful retirement speech at 24 or so, saying that he tried his best to fight through the injuries and stay on the ice, but now he has to make the best decisions to preserve his health. 

I didn't have a strong feeling on Nico or Nolan, I trusted Shero to make the right pick, which is odd because when this draft came along I felt very strongly that we needed to take Hughes over Kakko.   Maybe it's just the position of the players involved this time.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

Just now, Lateralous said:

I didn't have a strong feeling on Nico or Nolan, I trusted Shero to make the right pick, which is odd because when this draft came along I felt very strongly that we needed to take Hughes over Kakko.   Maybe it's just the position of the players involved this time.    

Same here.  Once Nico was taken, it felt right, but only after he was taken.  Hughes felt like the one the second the Devils were awarded the first pick. 

• Like 2

I though it was pretty even between the two at the time. Nico skated better, Nolan had better passing ability. The injuries and the concern from some scouts about injuries for Nolan swung me towards Nico. Still a long way to go, but Nolan doesn't seem to have much luck at all. 

A migraine disorder sounds pretty serious, he did get concussed as a junior as well if I remember correctly. 

How does your hatred of the Rangers compare to that of the Flyers?  For me I despise the Rangers 100 times more than the Flyers.  Don’t get me wrong, I also hate the Flyers but no where to the extent as the Rangers.  Everything about the Rangers I despise, the team, the fans, just everything.  The fans of the Flyers are probably more abnoxious and the Flyers are probably a dirtier team (hard to say) but not sure why I don’t hate them as much.   Yes I know this is a pretty childish post but just wanted to see if anyone is in a similar boat to me.  At the simplest level, how do your feelings compare between the Rangers and Flyers?

26 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

How does your hatred of the Rangers compare to that of the Flyers?  For me I despise the Rangers 100 times more than the Flyers.  Don’t get me wrong, I also hate the Flyers but no where to the extent as the Rangers.  Everything about the Rangers I despise, the team, the fans, just everything.  The fans of the Flyers are probably more abnoxious and the Flyers are probably a dirtier team (hard to say) but not sure why I don’t hate them as much.   Yes I know this is a pretty childish post but just wanted to see if anyone is in a similar boat to me.  At the simplest level, how do your feelings compare between the Rangers and Flyers?

I live in the Philly suburbs and I still hate the Rangers fans 10x more.   They're the absolute worst.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bostondevil11 said:

Can't believe I was on Team Patrick. Glad much smarter people are in charge.

That really sucks for the kid, don't like to see a 20-21 year old going through this so early in his career. Really hope they figure it out for his sake, it's all fun and games poking fun at his stats compared to Nico's, but man, not like this...

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was always team Nico as well but migraines are absolutely horrible so I feel bad for Patrick, I'd rather see Nico and the Devils school him on the ice than see something like this. 

3 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

That really sucks for the kid, don't like to see a 20-21 year old going through this so early in his career. Really hope they figure it out for his sake, it's all fun and games poking fun at his stats compared to Nico's, but man, not like this...

100% agree with you guys.  Last thing I want to see is a kid flame out early due to health issues like that.  

• Like 2