GDT: 10/25/2022 Devils @ Red Wings Please Damon Don't Do Anything Stupid

Colorado Rockies 1976

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Don’t worry, next time we lose it’ll be back to us not being a bubble team again. 

@Devil Dan 56has had the best take on this team so far…it’s a team that’s turning the corner but is going to have some ugly nights as they figure things out.  We just gotta stop losing our sh!t when they resemble some of the lousier Devils teams in recent history (not that we’ll always succeed).

• Like 5

Great game. Jack, Bratt, and Nico all looked so much better than last night. 

Also love seeing Sharongovich using that shot. He should only ever pass as a last resort. 

Mercer is quietly having another very nice start to the season. Only Zetterlund had more SOG tonight.

Marino adding some offense to his rock solid defensive game is most welcome. 

Vanecek didn’t have to do much, but he made a couple big saves. 

The entire team was very active with their sticks tonight. It felt good to be on the other end of passes getting broken up, and having pucks poked off of sticks.

Not much to complain about in this one other than Holtz having a rough game.

Very pleased, especially on the night of back-to-back against a team that hasn’t lost in regulation before tonight. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Really like Spaulding. Doesn’t sugar coat anything

I like him but he still feels like a neutral national broadcaster than a Devils play by play guy.  I don’t want it sugar coated, but he still feels more neutral.   I imagine it will come in time, and he has to work with Dano which can be a struggle at times 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Fabian Zetterlund needs a spot on this team moving forward. Guy is an absolute dog on the ice, has shown he has a gnarly side to him and my goodness he looks good

I would give him McLeod’s spot in a heartbeat. Bastian-Zetterlund-Wood sounds like a heck of a combo. 

3 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I like him but he still feels like a neutral national broadcaster than a Devils play by play guy.  I don’t want it sugar coated, but he still feels more neutral.   I imagine it will come in time, and he has to work with Dano which can be a struggle at times 

He got too excited for the opponent’s saves and goals, in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would give him McLeod’s spot in a heartbeat. Bastian-Zetterlund-Wood sounds like a heck of a combo. 

Feels like McLeod’s time is coming to a close.  I get it; the former first-rounders often get a longer leash and a good long look.  But don’t see him ever improving beyond what he is right now.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Feels like McLeod’s time is coming to a close.  I get it; the former first-rounders often get a longer leash and a good long look.  But don’t see him ever improving beyond what he is right now.  

We just moved on from 2 other former 1st rounders in Zacha and Smith. And those 2 didn’t have off the ice baggage…

Get McLeod off my team ASAP. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He is not. Send him back to Utica to wear one of those cool retro jerseys. 

Yeah guess they tried the “get him up to speed during practices” method, but doesn’t seem to be taking.  He still needs a lot of work.  That’s OK, I don’t think the 2022-23 season ever rested on Holtz exploding onto the scene.  If he needs more time in Utica, so be it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We just moved on from 2 other former 1st rounders in Zacha and Smith. And those 2 didn’t have off the ice baggage…

Get McLeod off my team ASAP. 

Zacha’s good long look finally ran out (to be fair he did buy a little currency in 2021).

Getting a young defenseman in Marino who fit a very specific need AND was already locked up was too good of a chance to pass up.  Maybe Ty turns into something one day, but I still make this deal every time.  Especially with L Hughes and Nemec in the fold.

Re:  McLeod, yeah, Fitz could move him tomorrow AFAIC.  He’s gotten enough time.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well i missed the game tnight but it looks like it was everything we could have been hoping for

And from reading through this thread and twitter. It does sound like if Holtz is not in the lineup its not necessarely that someone else is there instead it's just that he's struggling to keep up. We always knew even when he was drafted that his skating wasnt top notch.

Glad we got the win against those guys though. sounds like they'll be going head-to-head with us for a long time....again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Devil Dan 56has had the best take on this team so far…it’s a team that’s turning the corner but is going to have some ugly nights as they figure things out.  We just gotta stop losing our sh!t when they resemble some of the lousier Devils teams in recent history (not that we’ll always succeed).

It's nice that they're actually starting to push in the sh!t of bad teams, but until they start coming up with competitive games with some results after they stop playing the little sisters of the poor pretty much every game (aside from the Caps, who they got housed by as usual) I'll still be a bit skeptical.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's nice that they're actually starting to push in the sh!t of bad teams, but until they start coming up with competitive games with some results after they stop playing the little sisters of the poor pretty much every game (aside from the Caps, who they got housed by as usual) I'll still be a bit skeptical.

This was detroit’s first regulation loss this season. By all accounts this was a good (at the very least red hot) Wings team with fresher legs that we just dad-dicked in their building. 

• Like 4

12:46 of ice time for Bratt. Only ahead of Holtz and Mercer. Even McLeod got more ice time. Still posted 3 points.

I get we had a comfortable lead and played the night before but how many top players do you see post 12 mins of ice time…

Edited by devlman

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

12:46 of ice time for Bratt. Only ahead of Holtz and Mercer. Even McLeod got more ice time. Still posted 3 points.

I get we had a comfortable lead and played the night before but how many top players do you see post 12 mins of ice time…

Crazy how he only played that much. Felt like he played 18 min minimum for how much he was all over the ice 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, devlman said:

12 minutes of ice time is pretty insane for a guy that’s leading the league in points.

I hope Ruff doesn’t make re-signing Bratt any harder than it needs to be. 

• Like 3

Why is it so common that people right away assume the worse in cases like this? when there's not necessarily any indication that something is wrong at all? Not just addressing posts in here but i've seen the same thing on twitter tnight.

Fact is... Bratt played 12 minutes. That's all we know.

So unless i missed a post-game presser where Ruff straight up give an answer... all we can do is guess/assume. So why not assume that there's a good reason? 

I personally don't really enjoy the experience of being frustrated over something i have zero control over so if im going to "assume" something... at the risk of actually being wrong... well i'm just naturally going to assume that there's a reasonable explanation for it and stay in a good mood lol why would i assume something that'd make me mad? I'm actually not sure why some people appear to be the complete opposite with that mentality lol

Ruff said many players were banged up... maybe Bratt was one of them and he didn't want to overplay him.  Totally valid hypothesis.

We had more PK than powerplays, we rolled 4 lines tnight after playing last night and depending on how the matchups went during the game. There's some potential rational reasons as to why guys like bastian and mcleod may have played more in this one specific game.  Totally valid hypothesis.

Technically Bratt only had 2 less shifts than the Washington games and 1 less than the SJ game. So maybe it's just the way the game went. He's been averaging between 17-20 minutes so far this season. So tonight was the outlier. Why not wait another game to see if it's going back to his average before making too much out of it?  Totally valid suggestion

I could go on but any of those theories are making a lot more sense than assuming.... "Ruff didn't want to play his top scorer more" and get frustrated lol