Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

14 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Do you think it'd be worthwhile to trade a second round pick for a rental?

yes. our second round pick is in 55-64 range. You can find good player there, but chances are little, you can draft some successfull  euro-overagers in later rounds if you want some players with bigger potential.

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

FTFY

someone can pay 1st round pick for Adam, but it should not be the Devils organisation.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

I think eventually Grier is going to have to move off of Mercer.  I can't see anyone giving up a young, established, cost controlled asset as part of a deal to land Meier.  They're exactly the types of players that playoff teams need.  Adding Meier while subtracting Mercer from the roster doesn't move the needle enough.   

Casey, Holtz, A Johnsson and a 1st and dare Carolina to beat it for a pure rental.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

My gut tells me St. Louis gets this done with their 2 later firsts and a b-level prospect.

GMs are infatuated with picks.

That's why I wonder if the Devils offer this year's first and next year's first (along with Holtz), if that's enough to get it done.  Steep price but if the Sharks decide they want picks, the Devils get to keep all of the key young pieces that they'd want to hang onto.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You know what they say: aim high. Can’t blame Grier for asking lol

Yeah don’t blame Grier for almost insisting for now, but doesn’t mean that Fitz will cave.  I’d be stunned if Mercer goes in this deal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah don’t blame Grier for almost insisting for now, but doesn’t mean that Fitz will cave.  I’d be stunned if Mercer goes in this deal.

Absolutely. Grier has a leverage now but that’s gonna shrink if someone, for example, acquires Boeser removing a team from the bidding. 

He can hold off until the draft, but again that’s less leverage with a pending restricted free agency, plus teams having the option of waiting for July 1st to spend money. And if Meier signs a one year, he’s a goner for nothing in 2024. Grier needs to do it at this deadline for maximum return. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Absolutely. Grier has a leverage now but that’s gonna shrink if someone, for example, acquires Boeser removing a team from the bidding. 

He can hold off until the draft, but again that’s less leverage with a pending restricted free agency, plus teams having the option of waiting for July 1st to spend money. And if Meier signs a one year, he’s a goner for nothing in 2024. Grier needs to do it at this deadline for maximum return. 

Grier is running out of time; especially if the rumors that he hasn't let anyone talk to the agent are true. Fitz has to have a hard stop date on Timo that's drawing closer...im thinking next 4 or 5 days.

EDIT: Friedmans 32 Thoughts update from today--

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-a-trade-deadline-check-in-on-each-nhl-team/

3. New Jersey Devils: Until St. Louis loaded-up on first-rounders, New Jersey was the consensus pick for Meier. And the Devils still might be the choice. It’s so crazy around them that when Alexander Holtz left Monday’s AHL Utica game in Toronto, I had a bunch of DMs from Devils fans asking if he was traded. (Holtz was hurt, unfortunately.)

New Jersey wants Meier with an extension (or close to it). The Devils are viewed as smallish up front, but, even if they added size, it’s got to be size with skill. Does Nino Niederreiter make any sense? Damon Severson’s name has been out there, but one executive said he believes that’s a targeted move as it makes zero sense for New Jersey to deal him unless there’s a suitable replacement. Devils are trying to win here. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I think eventually Grier is going to have to move off of Mercer.  I can't see anyone giving up a young, established, cost controlled asset as part of a deal to land Meier.  They're exactly the types of players that playoff teams need.  Adding Meier while subtracting Mercer from the roster doesn't move the needle enough.   

Casey, Holtz, A Johnsson and a 1st and dare Carolina to beat it for a pure rental.    

I'm not sure Meier to the Canes would necessarily be as a pure rental only. They have 30M in cap space next season and a pretty solid roster under contract. They will have some holes to fill but they are far from strapped. With the Sharks willing to allow teams to speak with Claude about contract extensions I can see him going somewhere with that extension in hand, maybe here. I think it will allow the Sharks to get more with that being an option if the right teams come knocking. While also opening the door for other teams who aren't contenders this year, a team like the Blues??  It all could/will certainly test our willingness when it comes to how much we want to give and commit here.

Yeah if the Sharks want to overplay their hand (basically insist that any deal for Meier starts with Mercer), I can't blame Fitz is he's not into overpaying on his end.  

• Like 5

I know it’s a long shot but Pasternak hasn’t re-signed with Boston yet and with how old their team is he might not want to stay there. I mean I’m assuming he’s going to re-sign but the future of the team doesn’t depend on Timo Meier. There are always going to be options.

I don’t blame Fitz at all for not getting Debrincat, Fiala, Gaudreau, or Tkachuk and I hope he doesn’t feel like he struck out with them either. I don’t want him thinking he has to make a trade. We still have some guys coming up who can make a difference.

18 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I know it’s a long shot but Pasternak hasn’t re-signed with Boston yet and with how old their team is he might not want to stay there. I mean I’m assuming he’s going to re-sign but the future of the team doesn’t depend on Timo Meier. There are always going to be options.

I don’t blame Fitz at all for not getting Debrincat, Fiala, Gaudreau, or Tkachuk and I hope he doesn’t feel like he struck out with them either. I don’t want him thinking he has to make a trade. We still have some guys coming up who can make a difference.

There is no way on the planet Pastrnak is leaving Boston. That ain’t ever happening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I preface this by saying if the real price is something stupid low like Holtz or Casey, 1st and a B prospect, you obviously do that.   

With that said, if the actual bid value is much higher and San Jose were willing to add something like their 2nd round pick to Meier for Nemec and a cap dump like AJ, would anyone else do it?  

If I’m Grier, and I have the chance to add Nemec plus their own top 5 pick going into the summer, that’s one hell of a start to a rebuild.  I know teams in their position like to stockpile picks, but during a rebuild it’s all about getting the top end talent.  Giving up a 2nd in addition to Meier would seem well worth the cost from their end IMO. 

For the Devils, adding Meier at the cost of Nemec keeps the NHL roster in tact,   adds a star player that literally fits the team needs like a glove and while Nemec is a huge price to pay, the second is almost a late 1st.   We keep all our picks and you still have all the young types like Holtz, Mercer, Zetterlund, Casey, Muk, Ok, Bahl, and whatever the 3 picks in the top 60 of the ‘23 draft become to provide cheap depth for the foreseeable future. 

I’ll probably get blasted for this but I think it makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Also, I always assume every great D prospect tops out at good 2/3 until proven otherwise so I’m willing to part with Nemec in this scenario.     

CYA: Despite what I just wrote, L Hughes is the one untouchable.   There’s just something about that family that I don’t give him up for pretty much anything.   

Edited by Lateralous

I’ve said all along Nemec is even more off the table for me than Mercer. Nemec’s ceiling is much higher, imo. And he plays a more important position (if we’re qualifying Dawson as a winger). Granted, he hasn’t had quite as good a season in Utica as I’d hoped, and Mercer is already a proven NHL player, but I’d be absolutely sick if they traded Nemec away and he reached his full potential somewhere else. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Mercer, Nemec, Luke- all of them are nonstarters. 

I’d still do Mercer for Meier straight up (or with a whatever throw in) but SJ wants more than that so I guess it’s really not even worth talking about at this point. 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve said all along Nemec is even more off the table for me than Mercer. Nemec’s ceiling is much higher, imo. And he plays a more important position (if we’re qualifying Dawson as a winger). Granted, he hasn’t had quite as good a season in Utica as I’d hoped, and Mercer is already a proven NHL player, but I’d be absolutely sick if they traded Nemec away and he reached his full potential somewhere else. 

Couldn't possibly agree any more. I feel that it's easy to let Luke overshadow what a great prospect Nemec is, since Luke is likely the best NHL prospect in the world right now. But I find it so hard to not be excited about the type of player Nemec will be. He put up absurd points the last 2 seasons in Slovakia. And even though his season in Utica has been slightly underwhelming from a points perspective, you have to realize that this Utica team is not what it was last season. They are ranked 24th in goals for, and lately have been struggling to score more than a goal per night. Hard to put up points on that kind of team, especially when Walsh gets first unit power play time. This is compared to the Cleveland Monsters, where David Jiricek plays, who are 12th in goals for. Many people look at Jiricek's season and feel that he is the superior prospect, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.

Maybe Holtz gives the offense a boost, and Nemec gets some power play time with him. We could definitely see him finish the season on a tear. But to me, Nemec is everything you could want in a complete defenseman. He is strong defensively, he can play a ton of minutes, and he is offensively gifted. For those watched the World Juniors, you can see the passion he plays with. If Luke's ceiling is prime Karlsson (not a perfect comparison, but elite skating and offensive upside), Nemec's is Adam Fox. Totally untouchable IMO.

• Like 2