2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Anyone with a subscription want to give a summary of the article? I wonder who the 8 choices were…

After weeks of searching, Fitzgerald, who had taken over as interim general manager that January, identified eight candidates — reportedly including then-interim coach Alain Nassreddine, Peter Laviolette, Gerard Gallantand John Stevens — that he believed could jolt his young core, led by No. 1 pick centers Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier.

Lindy Ruff was not among the eight. Until Fitzgerald answered the phone.

“To be honest, Lindy was added to that eight by the recommendation of a friend,” Fitzgerald told NJ Advance Media last week, adding the friend would remain anonymous. “He said, ‘Hey, would you consider talking to Lindy Ruff?’ And I said, ‘No, should I?’ That person was like, ‘I think you should. I think you’ll be really impressed with him with what you’re looking for.’”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting because Gallant could obviously become a candidate down the line, if he was one of Fitz’s previous possibilities.

The Nico thing is scary, the goaltending duo has been disappointing and I hated watching the Rangers getting the comeback win on Saturday night but I'm actually fine with this team facing a little adversity and taking some time to figure it out early in the season.  They'll be a better team for it on the back end.   

I mean, we all knew the defense was going to take a short term step back losing two vets, especially when one of the replacements has been hurt all year.  With Miller back and hopefully taking ALL of Smith's minutes sometime soon, I think some of the issues we've been seeing will resolve themselves.  The goaltending might also start to work itself out with improved D in front but if not, there are always other options on the market as the season goes on and teams start dropping out of contention.   

For me, the biggest thing is that they need to start getting a point in all these games where they tied or leading in the third period.   I'm confident that if they can just stay within striking distance until the holidays, they can get on a roll in the New Year when they are hopefully much healthier than they are now.       

• Like 2

I'm wondering if Fitz is scouring other teams for goalie help?  Whomever he targets has to kinda fit in cap situation. Other teams are in the same boat. You know something we haven't seen in a while is a non drafted European FA. Why scouts haven't come up with one, not sure. 

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The Nico thing is scary, the goaltending duo has been disappointing and I hated watching the Rangers getting the comeback win on Saturday night but I'm actually fine with this team facing a little adversity and taking some time to figure it out early in the season.  They'll be a better team for it on the back end.   

I mean, we all knew the defense was going to take a short term step back losing two vets, especially when one of the replacements has been hurt all year.  With Miller back and hopefully taking ALL of Smith's minutes sometime soon, I think some of the issues we've been seeing will resolve themselves.  The goaltending might also start to work itself out with improved D in front but if not, there are always other options on the market as the season goes on and teams start dropping out of contention.   

For me, the biggest thing is that they need to start getting a point in all these games where they tied or leading in the third period.   I'm confident that if they can just stay within striking distance until the holidays, they can get on a roll in the New Year when they are hopefully much healthier than they are now.       

Yeah I was definitely losing my sh!t once the Rangers came back to win, but I'm still generally optimistic about this team.

I see the issues with the Devils largely being a three-headed monster:  goaltending/defense/Lindy.  I don't think singling out any one of those for blame (while ignoring the other two) is fair.

I still think the goaltending is better than what it's shown, but it's getting to the point (though still early) where I can understand some fans starting to lose a little patience.  VV and Schmid simply need to regain some of their 2022-23 form.  They were good enough to win with for much of last season.

I agree fully that getting Smith the fvck out of the every game lineup will be a major plus...all he's done is proven why Fitz bringing in Miller made a ton of sense.  Hamilton is showing that you can put up nice point totals yet still have a bad year...he's had some brutal moments defensively.  I like that every game that Luke plays, that's yet another game of valuable experience.  Marino is looking more and more like the Marino of last season; that's encouraging.  Like the goaltending, I think the D is better than what they've shown collectively to date.

Then there's Lindy.  I've obviously never been a huge believer in him (does he ever get another HC gig if Fitz didn't offer him one?), and I just don't think he's ever going to be a guy who's going to CONSISTENTLY get the most out of this impressive array of talent that he has to work with.  I've said it a bunch, his players do play hard for him (even when they lose) and I get that they like him.  But the Devils don't always play SMART, and I think someone else could get them to do that.  But pining for that for now doesn't make much sense because I think Lindy easily gets all of this season, especially since he's had injuries to deal with.

Re:  Nico...man, that situation is not good.  I really hope it hasn't reached a point where we'll be holding our breaths every time he takes a hit.  Sucks not only for his personal health, but from the standpoint that we might look to 2022-23 as "This is what he could've been most years if not for..."

And would've been nice to see a little more situational awareness with Trouba on the ice.  The guy obviously loves to hit and hit hard and (like Stevens) he'll target you with a legal hit if your head is down.  Not like I'm a Trouba fan, but I was getting more aggravated with the Devils leaving themselves open for Trouba to do his thing, than with Trouba himself.    

I think the overall composition of the lineup needs to be tweaked somewhat.  They have enough speed/skill/creativity but what they lack is size/strength/toughness/physicality.  That's what they need to make a deep run in the playoffs.  Miller is a good pickup but they still could use another big nasty D guy and at least one big power forward type who's got enough skill to play 3rd/2nd line minutes.  As they are constructed now they are too small/soft/easy to play against-they'll do well in the regular season but get pushed around and physically pounded by good playoffs teams.  Can't rely so much on your PP in playoffs when they don't call as many penalties. Gotta be better 5 on 5.  

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I was definitely losing my sh!t once the Rangers came back to win, but I'm still generally optimistic about this team.

I see the issues with the Devils largely being a three-headed monster:  goaltending/defense/Lindy.  I don't think singling out any one of those for blame (while ignoring the other two) is fair.

I still think the goaltending is better than what it's shown, but it's getting to the point (though still early) where I can understand some fans starting to lose a little patience.  VV and Schmid simply need to regain some of their 2022-23 form.  They were good enough to win with for much of last season.

I agree fully that getting Smith the fvck out of the every game lineup will be a major plus...all he's done is proven why Fitz bringing in Miller made a ton of sense.  Hamilton is showing that you can put up nice point totals yet still have a bad year...he's had some brutal moments defensively.  I like that every game that Luke plays, that's yet another game of valuable experience.  Marino is looking more and more like the Marino of last season; that's encouraging.  Like the goaltending, I think the D is better than what they've shown collectively to date.

Then there's Lindy.  I've obviously never been a huge believer in him (does he ever get another HC gig if Fitz didn't offer him one?), and I just don't think he's ever going to be a guy who's going to CONSISTENTLY get the most out of this impressive array of talent that he has to work with.  I've said it a bunch, his players do play hard for him (even when they lose) and I get that they like him.  But the Devils don't always play SMART, and I think someone else could get them to do that.  But pining for that for now doesn't make much sense because I think Lindy easily gets all of this season, especially since he's had injuries to deal with.

Re:  Nico...man, that situation is not good.  I really hope it hasn't reached a point where we'll be holding our breaths every time he takes a hit.  Sucks not only for his personal health, but from the standpoint that we might look to 2022-23 as "This is what he could've been most years if not for..."

And would've been nice to see a little more situational awareness with Trouba on the ice.  The guy obviously loves to hit and hit hard and (like Stevens) he'll target you with a legal hit if your head is down.  Not like I'm a Trouba fan, but I was getting more aggravated with the Devils leaving themselves open for Trouba to do his thing, than with Trouba himself.    

Re Nico: I am hoping they are just playing it very safe given it's a head injury. He needs to adjust the way he plays a bit imo. He's always extending his body along the boards, especially in the corner to advance the puck, and it leaves him super vulnerable.

Idk what Nico's history is with concussions so it's hard to say and they're really unpredictable. sh!t situation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

I think the overall composition of the lineup needs to be tweaked somewhat.  They have enough speed/skill/creativity but what they lack is size/strength/toughness/physicality.  That's what they need to make a deep run in the playoffs.  Miller is a good pickup but they still could use another big nasty D guy and at least one big power forward type who's got enough skill to play 3rd/2nd line minutes.  As they are constructed now they are too small/soft/easy to play against-they'll do well in the regular season but get pushed around and physically pounded by good playoffs teams.  Can't rely so much on your PP in playoffs when they don't call as many penalties. Gotta be better 5 on 5.  

Who specifically would you replace in the middle of the lineup?   I feel like everyone who isn't an elite skill guy (Hughes x2, Bratt, Hamilton) already is 6'-0" and pretty physical.  The only player I can think of where you could realistically make a significant upgrade in size and toughness would be Holtz.  Maybe Siegenthaler but he had some snarl in the playoffs last year.  I still remember Panarin trying to jump on him as he was beating the sh!t out of one of the other Rangers.     

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck yeah!    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

Hopefully this is the end of AHL-caliber-at-best Brendan Smith. 

It won’t be BUT this is finally what everyone knows what NEEDS to happen.

Also great to see Nico getting his reps. Let his head clear up, stabilize and then ice him.

Last thing we want to see is him go down Nolan Patrick’s unfortunate road and have to be done with the game due to headshots 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

It won’t be BUT this is finally what everyone knows what NEEDS to happen.

Also great to see Nico getting his reps. Let his head clear up, stabilize and then ice him.

Last thing we want to see is him go down Nolan Patrick’s unfortunate road and have to be done with the game due to headshots 

Bro why would you even speak that!? 😭😭😭