Hockey Canada investigation -Mcleod charged with 2 counts

RunninWithTheDevil

Also in terms of the world juniors and the IHFF if they are gonna ban the Russian kids who don't have anything to do with what their countries leader is doing then they really should suspend Canada for covering this up. Don't let them host for a long time either to hurt them financially too. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Something else that I’m seeing that is bothering me: people dragging guys like Freidman for not jumping on this story the second it broke today. LeBrun’s timing in the Utah stuff was suspect to say the least, though, has a pure coverup smell

i’m sorry but if I had no role in it like Westhead and Strang did, I’d stay well out of it and let them take point. If not for them, it might never have come out.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Editing my post - not going to debate the incident. If she even wavered on her enthusiasm, consent is removed and it is now rape. The initial consent is void.

Agreed, but from what I read the suspects claimed consent throughout. Who is lying? Hopefully the photos and texts will let us know

They likely are all done. Career's are over. I fully expect contract terminations after trial, regardless of outcome. 

That's some sh!tty news to get mid-season. Leave it to the completely fvcked legal system in Canada I guess (I'm sure they won't really get a fair trial). They were probably running right up against statute of limitations and have to throw something at the wall to make something stick.

Hockey Canada hasn't face any consequences. I think the same leaders in still in place. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Agreed, but from what I read the suspects claimed consent throughout. Who is lying? Hopefully the photos and texts will let us know

The report I saw, someone posted a page or two back, even said the player said she said she’d go with him, and then she said not to the group. Between the forced videos saying she agreed, and the badgering to make this go away, that’s a huge issue (not at all implying you do not agree, whatsoever) 

20 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Oh ya rape is totally disgusting and if it happened that way then yes their careers should definitely be over. If they are exonerated then no.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hockey-canada-sexual-assault-crisis-parliamentary-committee-1.6535248

I am all for innocent until proven guilty. I even said that earlier in the thread. If what is presented in this article is accurate there was nothing up for interpretation as far as consent is concerned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They should face some tough questions too...as to why it took THIS fvckING LONG?!  From 2018 to NOW?!  That is not acceptable in any way.

Yeah I mean I don’t know Canadian laws but does statute of limitations apply to time? Just seems unusually long to charge these guys.  

Just now, Fansinz88 said:

Yeah I mean I don’t know Canadian laws but does statute of limitations apply to time? Just seems unusually long to charge these guys.  

But if they did it get em out. 

10 hours ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

Been a fan for 35 years.  Darkest off ice day in the franchise’s history. 

Explain?  How can this be a "dark" day in the history of the franchise?  It's not like McLeod was the next coming of Patrik Elias, and it's not like the Devils drafted McLeod knowing he was going to be a suspected group rapist.    People need to understand that athletes are people, and they do effed up things.  I'm sure this isn't the first effed up thing a Devil's player or any other NHLer did.  Only thing is that McLeod was caught, and others were not caught or were covered up well.

Let this be a reminder that company culture is important.  Setting a culture where your players are model citizens in/out of the rink should be a priority.

10 hours ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

Been a fan for 35 years.  Darkest off ice day in the franchise’s history. 

I’ve been a fan since Don Lever scored the franchise’s first goal against Pittsburgh in 1982.

Trust me, there have been darker days……

Like back in 1984 when the Pens KNOWINGLY tanked for Mario, stealing him from right out under the Devils feet. Now that was a dark day when it was made official that the Pens would have the first overall pick in 1984.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Explain?  How can this be a "dark" day in the history of the franchise?  It's not like McLeod was the next coming of Patrik Elias, and it's not like the Devils drafted McLeod knowing he was going to be a suspected group rapist.    People need to understand that athletes are people, and they do effed up things.  I'm sure this isn't the first effed up thing a Devil's player or any other NHLer did.  Only thing is that McLeod was caught, and others were not caught or were covered up well.

Let this be a reminder that company culture is important.  Setting a culture where your players are model citizens in/out of the rink should be a priority.

I don't think it's difficult to see how this is a dark day for the team.

No team wants to be associated with news like this in any capacity. Frankly, I'm still in shock that our organization is dealing with crap like this. It's one of those things where you never think it's going to happen to you or your team.

To me it's very akin to the stuff that happened to the Blackhawks with their front office and coaching staff. Look how many people on this forum are disgusted by the people who were involved in that situation. Now our beloved team is probably going to be viewed in a similar light by fans of other teams. 

As others have said and it seems like you might be alluding to, one player doesn't represent the entire team, but he does represent them in part. The fact of the matter is, he was wearing a devil's jersey with our logo on it for a long time. That's a direct reflection of us. 

It's not like the team should be completely crucified and barred from the league, but to suggest that this isn't a dark day is just not true. The best way to describe this situation in my opinion is disappointing. This is BS that no one wants to deal with. The victims and families will likely forever suffer because you can't undo what they've been through, from a purely team /sports perspective, our team, which was already struggling this year, now has yet another distraction and circus to deal with.

Very untimely and disappointing.

Edited by NJDfan1711

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think it's difficult to see how this is a dark day for the team.

No team wants to be associated with news like this in any capacity. Frankly, I'm still in shock that our organization is dealing with crap like this. It's one of those things where you never think it's going to happen to you or your team.

To me it's very akin to the stuff that happened to the Blackhawks with their front office and coaching staff. Look how many people on this forum are disgusted by the people who were involved in that situation. Now our beloved team is probably going to be viewed in a similar light by fans of other teams. 

As others have said and it seems like you might be alluding to, one player doesn't represent the entire team, but he does represent them in part. The fact of the matter is, he was wearing a devil's jersey with our logo on it for a long time. That's a direct reflection of us. 

It's not like the team should be completely crucified and barred from the league, but to suggest that this isn't a dark day is just not true. The best way to describe this situation in my opinion is disappointing. This is BS that no one wants to deal with. The victims and families will likely.flreber suffer because you can't undo what they've been through, from a purely team /sports perspective, our team, which was already struggling this year, now has yet another distraction and circus to deal with.

Very untimely and disappointing.

I agree with a lot of what you said here but one very important distinction is that in the Kyle Beech stuff, Chicago was in the same role that Hockey Canada is in this mess, not the Devils.   Not trying to absolve the Devils for some hard questions they'll need to answer but the crime and coverup did not occur on their watch.     

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree with a lot of what you said here but one very important distinction is that in the Kyle Beech stuff, Chicago was in the same role that Hockey Canada has in this mess, not the Devils.   Not trying to absolve the Devils for some hard questions they'll need to answer but the crime and coverup did not occur on their watch.     

Yep, agreed as well. Which is why to me I think disappointing is a good way to describe it, because as you said, even if the Devils bear some responsibility but not all, people are going to form their own opinions and view the situation a certain way, regardless of the details. 

Just by being associated with this type of crap in really any degree is going to cast that shadow and black mark. 

20 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree with a lot of what you said here but one very important distinction is that in the Kyle Beech stuff, Chicago was in the same role that Hockey Canada is in this mess, not the Devils.   Not trying to absolve the Devils for some hard questions they'll need to answer but the crime and coverup did not occur on their watch.     

Exactly this.  There's no comparison between the Blackhawks and the Devils here.

Not going to indict the Devils on any of this until we have some idea of what they actually knew about McLeod's situation.  At the very least, I'd like to think that when McLeod didn't attempt to proclaim his innocence the way that many of his teammates did, that Fitz talked to him about it and tried to find out what exactly McLeod meant by that.  But too many unanswered questions right now (that will obviously NEED to be asked, like you said) to start implying that the Devils are somehow dirty by association in all of this.   

1 hour ago, Mitico12 said:

Having two accused rapists on your team; knowing this could happen (maybe even knowing it could likely happen—i’m sure the team had more info than we do); clearly timing the Fitz press conference to duck the issue.  I can go on but it’s not a good look for the organization.  They took a chance that this could blow up in their face and it did. i’m sure two games from now we will be focused on the standings and i’m sure but definitely a stain on the franchise.  

18 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

Having two accused rapists on your team; knowing this could happen (maybe even knowing it could likely happen—i’m sure the team had more info than we do); clearly timing the Fitz press conference to duck the issue.  I can go on but it’s not a good look for the organization.  They took a chance that this could blow up in their face and it did. i’m sure two games from now we will be focused on the standings and i’m sure but definitely a stain on the franchise.  

Again, the info that Fitz had at the time that he signed Cal Foote was that Foote had been cleared.  Was he supposed to have known that such information could change at a later date?  If so, based on what?  It seems like trying to turn the Foote signing into some blight on Fitz or the Devils is piling on for the sake of it.

McLeod is obviously a much murkier and different situation, especially since there was that whole "Cooperating with the investigation/nothing further at this time" statement that absolutely felt like a red flag.  Depending on what comes out of what the Devils knew when and if they simply chose to look the other way, yeah, the Devils can most definitely come out of that looking very bad.  But we won't know the details of any of that for quite a while.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Again, the info that Fitz had at the time that he signed Cal Foote was that Foote had been cleared.  Was he supposed to have known that such information could change at a later date?  If so, based on what?  It seems like trying to turn the Foote signing into some blight on Fitz or the Devils is piling on for the sake of it.

McLeod is obviously a much murkier and different situation, especially since there was that whole "Cooperating with the investigation/nothing further at this time" statement that absolutely felt like a red flag.  Depending on what comes out of what the Devils knew when and if they simply chose to look the other way, yeah, the Devils can most definitely come out of that looking very bad.  But we won't know the details of any of that for quite a while.  

In regards to Foote, why even take that risk for a journeyman defenseman or an AHLer with fringe NHL capabilities.   Formenton wasn't signed....  and he clearly had more of a pedigree

• Like 1