Rolston to NYI, Hunter to NJD

nmigliore

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Trent Hunter. A few years ago he was considered one of the more talented young players on the Isles. However, a call up of new talent and injuries have put him on the backburner. I'm actually looking forward to what he can add to this team now that he probably has a solid roster spot.

The injuries have ruined his career. He is a good, hard-working player, but he can't stay healthy. I see him playing on the 4th (maybe 3rd), and I can see him spending some time in the injured players/healthy scratch suite at the Rock. It gives us more dpeth, especially at right wing. If we get 60 games out of him and he can put up 10-15 goals, I'd be estatic. He is also likely to get bought out next year if this season is injury filled and/or he plays poorly while struggling to crack the lineup.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First the Dolphins get Reggie Bush, and now we dump Rolston. Good day for me in the sports department so far. Now all I need is for the Fins to finish the Kyle Orton trade, Nnamdi Asoughma to snub the Jets, and for Parise to sign long-term and we're in business. :P

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Trent Hunter. A few years ago he was considered one of the more talented young players on the Isles. However, a call up of new talent and injuries have put him on the backburner. I'm actually looking forward to what he can add to this team now that he probably has a solid roster spot.

Yeah but that was before his Grade 3 MCL tare.

Yeah but that was before his Grade 3 MCL tare.

It's really a moot point. If he's healthy we get a solid 3rd line grinder. If he is injured we can go 2mil above the cap and slot in an up and comer from Albany. We won't be in a fix where we can only dress a roster of 18 like last year.

The injuries have ruined his career. He is a good, hard-working player, but he can't stay healthy.

This isn't true. His numbers simply mellowed out to normal after an above average rookie year. His first four years he played full seasons. The next two he played about 60 games each. In every season but the first he's in that 30-40 point range. Last year he was derailed by an injury. If anything the rule changes had a negative effect on him.

This trade seems negative to me. I don't see how we get better as a hockey team whos goal is to win a Stanley Cup this year (and every year).

I'm not really sure what we gained with this trade. Rolston will probably put up just as many points as Trent Hunter. We freed up some $3 million in cap space to do what exactly, we already had 7+ million available to sign Parise with more available at the end of the season.

We have a bunch of money coming off the cap at the end of the season, now we have less money coming off the cap at the end of the season.

We lost Rolston, a very responsible defensive player who had a hell of a shot on the powerplay who seemed like he could never find a rhythm in 3 years. We gained Trent Hunter, who can't seem to stop being injured for 3 years.

PS I liked Rolston :)

Please refrain from taking drugs before posting.

I'm going to just be nice here, I'm sure others won't be: that was a fvcking moronic post.

I don't need approval from anyone...on the internet, and I don't mind getting flamed...on the internet. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and say why. Not that I wouldn't appreciate it if you did it nicely :)

This trade seems negative to me. I don't see how we get better as a hockey team whos goal is to win a Stanley Cup this year (and every year).

I'm not really sure what we gained with this trade. Rolston will probably put up just as many points as Trent Hunter. We freed up some $3 million in cap space to do what exactly, we already had 7+ million available to sign Parise with more available at the end of the season.

We have a bunch of money coming off the cap at the end of the season, now we have less money coming off the cap at the end of the season.

We lost Rolston, a very responsible defensive player who had a hell of a shot on the powerplay who seemed like he could never find a rhythm in 3 years. We gained Trent Hunter, who can't seem to stop being injured for 3 years.

This is a fair point. Rolston would be more valuable out there than Hunter IMO. However, Lou clearly wanted to be able to offer Parise more than he was able to with Rolston under salary and leave some cap room if another player in addition is needed.

Rolston didn't put in any full seasons with us since he signed with us again. We saved 3 million dollars this season and added only two million to a cap next season that will enable us to make some good signings. Plus, if we're in the hunt for a playoff spot later this season we'll have enough room to make a deal to supplement our team with another solid player to help our run. This is total win for us.

would have to be something like 8/64, then. i mean, have you seen what people like ehrhoff and b. richards got?

Yea I could see that happening, although I think Lou will try to keep it in the $7M range. I can see something like 8/60 as being more likely.

As for Ehrhoff and Richards, I think you can agree that Lou really could care less about other contracts being signed in the league. Lou has his own rules which he expects players to adhere to. Just look at Larsson for example of that.

How is this a negative trade? We freed up space to get Parise's contract moving. That alone is worth it. We have been looking to drop Rolston off anywhere we could since December.

Edited by Quinn01

As I noted with my Parise thread yesterday, 7.5M for Parise means either a 1, 3, or 10+ year deal. There's really no room in between. Sure, Rolston might have been a 2 win per year player, but once Parise and Taormina come back, most of what Rolston did is now going to other players - his penalty killing would be taken over by Parise, his PP time by Taormina. Plus, he's 39 and who says he will play as well as he did last season?

Hunter is a cipher - maybe NJ buys him out, maybe they leave him on the roster next year, maybe he goes to Albany. But signing Parise is so vitally important to this franchise going forward that losing 1 win next year is certainly worth it.

Amberite: Lou uses what's available to him in the CBA to get the best deal. With Larsson, he doesn't have much leverage. Parise will have all the leverage in a year.

Edited by Triumph

The value to the team of the extra cap space will provide more benfit to the team than the difference than Trent Hunter and Brian Rolston if there is any.

All the extra dough is not going to Parise

and remember in 2011-12

Brian Rolston = 1 year older = very bad

Trent Hunter = 1 year older = very good

Anyone think Rolston will be a better player next year?

Please refrain from taking drugs before posting.

I'm going to just be nice here, I'm sure others won't be: that was a fvcking moronic post.

..yeah what he said.

Step back and think about this trade Storm, think about what it allows Lou to do with regards to Parise. It really is a positive

How is this a negative trade? We freed up space to get Parise's contract moving. That alone is worth it. We have been looking to drop Rolston off anywhere we could since December.

I don't think we got any better, and I think we could have signed Parise for a very long term contract for the ~7.5 million we had. I understand we can now offer Parise anything he wants, but I don't think that makes the Devils any better. Parise is Parise at 7.5 million or at 10 million. Its probable that Parise would have signed for longer than a year regardless.

If its the case that Parise would have only signed a short term contract without this extra cap space, so be it, its a win. Lou must have thought so. This trade still doesn't put us in a better spot to win a stanley cup.

I don't like being the only one of a certain opinion! :)

just kidding I don't mind.

Edited by StormJosh