Bernier, Harrold & Janssen on Waivers. Carter to Wild

devilsrule33

The thing that's disappointing about Larsson is that he doesn't seem to have gotten any better.  I don't think the Devils were insane for putting him in the NHL when he was 18, though they were nuts to put him on the power play, where he was probably the worst player in the league in that role.  Still, he was a capable player that year, and he wasn't terrible the next year, and he had a real good stretch last season before getting hurt.  Regardless, his strength is still his outlet passing, his weaknesses are still his skating, zone coverage, and shot.  And even if his skating never improved and his shot never improved, you could live with that as long as his zone coverage improved.  Didn't seem to be there this pre-season, but it's a long year and hopefully he can stay healthy and get into lots of games.

Edited by Triumph

If Larsson wasn't a top-ten draft pick a few years ago, this guy would have been set to sail a long time ago. Everyone's enamored with the fact that he was a top five pick, and that "we just cant waist a top five pick" by sitting him or trading him for nothing.

Bottom line is that Larsson is NOT an a-typical NJ Devil and he just doesn't fit here...he's got the characteristics to be a projected top defensemen, but it appears that it isn't coming to fruition here in NJ

Get something of value for him and call it a day...

It's times like these that make me say - thank God Lou is our GM. And that opinions held on this board by some aren't indicative of what management is thinking.

The problem i have with this whole larsson thing is that, we know his weakness and with know his forces... Its just an awkward mix

The stuff hes lacking.. Speed, skating, shot and all is something you can work on off ice and improve but i cant see it becoming that much better. While what could make him solide his all in his head... And sitting him and playing without confidence and always scared to make mistakes... Thats not gonna help him develop that for him... He needs to play and know hes trusted to get to the next level. And the setup we have now on D will certainly make it hard on him

everybody think why severson take a spot in roster so fast?

24 BRYCE SALVADOR "C" 6' 4" 215 FEB 11, 1976 38 BRANDON, MB, CAN 
28 DAMON SEVERSON 6' 2" 210 AUG 7, 1994 20 BRANDON, MB, CAN 

sorry, but it`s a business. family business.

everybody think why severson take a spot in roster so fast?

24 BRYCE SALVADOR "C" 6' 4" 215 FEB 11, 1976 38 BRANDON, MB, CAN

28 DAMON SEVERSON 6' 2" 210 AUG 7, 1994 20 BRANDON, MB, CAN

sorry, but it`s a business. family business.

are you suggesting that severson is secretly Bryce Salvador's illegitimate son? Edited by dmann422

I just can't understand the thinking that went behind the signing of Bernier, Gionta and not signing Carter while in the off season. Of those three Carter was the best offensively and he could play center and wing. Bernier was the worst. Gionta had nothing to offer offensively, he was terrible at faceoffs but he did play PK although not well IMO. I know Gionta gets points for being DeBoer's son. But that illogical decision making brings me to today's decision making regarding Gionta, Bernier, Josefson, Gomez and TooToo. Of those 5 IMO Gomez and Josefson are the best overall offensively yet Pete's son stays, Josefson stays and Tootoo gets signed. Gomez hangs around hoping for a spot. Again IMO Gomez has demonstrated he can still skate better than all 5 with the exception of Josefson. He is the best of the 5 as a puck mover. He is the best of the as a puck passer. He is the best of the 5 on the PP. He is tried with Gionta playing the PK. Yet he might get signed by another team or while the Devils want a fast start, he s the best of the 5 to help but instead he may wait one or two months. What did I miss?

I just can't understand the thinking that went behind the signing of Bernier, Gionta and not signing Carter while in the off season. Of those three Carter was the best offensively and he could play center and wing. Bernier was the worst. Gionta had nothing to offer offensively, he was terrible at faceoffs but he did play PK although not well IMO. What did I miss?

You're missing the belief that Carter asked for 2/3 and Lou said no and then went and got Gionta and Bernier on the relative cheap. Tootoo just signed for league minimum. Lou was not overpaying for 4th liners, regardless of who they were and, for that, I'm ok with it. It makes it possible to dump them without concern for salary should a kid improve. If Matteau impresses enough, Lou will have no issue bringing him up and punting on Tootoo.

I know this isn't the thread per se, but my big frustration right now is with Zubrus. He's a #9 in the top 9, and a borderline fourth liner at this point and I just don't see how he'd help this team where he's slotted right now. 

Absolutely agreed.  He was pretty.. awful last year, he's good along the boards but that's literally the only thing he brings at this point.  But for some reason it seems like his spot was always guaranteed / never contested.  The season hasn't even started yet and I'm just about ready to start ragging on PDB and his blatant veteran favoritism. 

I know this isn't the thread per se, but my big frustration right now is with Zubrus. He's a #9 in the top 9, and a borderline fourth liner at this point and I just don't see how he'd help this team where he's slotted right now.

the lines will be adjusted plenty throughout the season, don't worry. zubrus gets the first spot on the Elias line since he's been here longer and he can be trusted defensively against tougher opponents (unlike Brunner).

Plus I think people get too hung up on "top 9" or numbered lines, the goal this year is to run 4 lines as much as possible... Zubrus won't get PP time, so I'd wager he'll probably be around 16 mins/game tops.

Edited by dmann422

Larsson can't skate at this level, couple that with no hockey sense and we have Cam Barker 2.0.  

Package him and Brunner to the Wings or Carolina.

I don't understand how anyone can say he has no hockey sense. That's his greatest strength. Or am I crazy???

Edited by DJ Eco

The stuff hes lacking.. Speed, skating, shot and all is something you can work on off ice and improve but i cant see it becoming that much better. 

Why not? Henrique's skating and shot has already noticeably improved from last year. Even players in their 30s have improved their skating and shot from one season to the next. Those are the two easiest facets of the game to improve. The things Larsson already has are intangibles that can't "be worked on", imo.

Why not? Henrique's skating and shot has already noticeably improved from last year. Even players in their 30s have improved their skating and shot from one season to the next. Those are the two easiest facets of the game to improve. The things Larsson already has are intangibles that can't "be worked on", imo.

It's been a weakness for 3 years and doesn't appear to have improved at all. That's worrying.

As for the Carter thing, whatever. Im one of his biggest fans on this board but hes a fourth line grinder and dare I say Tootoo is better than him. Tootoo is faster, more physical, and is actually a decent playmaker, he isn't just a goon. Lots of Predator and Wings fans on hf said this is a good signing so lets see how he does.

As for the Carter thing, whatever. Im one of his biggest fans on this board but hes a fourth line grinder and dare I say Tootoo is better than him. Tootoo is faster, more physical, and is actually a decent playmaker, he isn't just a goon. Lots of Predator and Wings fans on hf said this is a good signing so lets see how he does.

Re: Carter vs. Tootoo, Tootoo's numbers throughout his career speak for themselves.

I've been reminding Devils fans the past few days to not confuse Carter being a "good soldier" with him being a good player. Yes, he scored against the Rangers and wasn't afraid to hit and fight in rivalry games, but Tootoo is clearly the better player.

Edited by DJ Eco

Re: Carter vs. Tootoo, Tootoo's numbers throughout his career speak for themselves.

I've been reminding Devils fans the past few days to not confuse Carter being a "good soldier" with him being a good player. Yes, he scored against the Rangers and wasn't afraid to hit and fight in rivalry games, but Tootoo is clearly the better player.

yea although Tootoo's numbers have clearly declined, he did put up 30 points a few years ago and that's head and shoulders better than Carter

I find it interesting the battles we have now.  We're right where we should be.  There's Larsson and Severson competing for a spot.  Then you have Gomez, Gionta, and Josefson competing for a roster spot.  You've got Salvador, Larsson, and maybe Brunner as trade options.  It's a shame that most people are giving up on Larsson, but it does unfortunately look like at best he might be a Mark Fayne type player.  Doesn't seem that management is very high on Larsson right now

I find it interesting the battles we have now.  We're right where we should be.  There's Larsson and Severson competing for a spot.  Then you have Gomez, Gionta, and Josefson competing for a roster spot.  You've got Salvador, Larsson, and maybe Brunner as trade options.  It's a shame that most people are giving up on Larsson, but it does unfortunately look like at best he might be a Mark Fayne type player.  Doesn't seem that management is very high on Larsson right now

I would have rather kept fayne. he has slightly better footwork and is a better 1 on 1 defender, young or not its year three and they're still playing mind games with adam to keep his energy up and competitive