GDT: Devils @ Tampa Game 5 4/21/2018 3:00 PM NBC, NBCSN

MadDog2020

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

while i'd rather not have Greene next season... i'd be okay if he's still there... but without the C. We all know where the C should be.

That's my issue with Greene. He doesn't lead by example AT ALL. Hall should be the captain next season and if he isn't it's because they don't want to make Greene feel some type of way (not that I give a sh!t), it won't be because Hallsy doesn't deserve it. We all know he does. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

I'm not ready to discuss trades and picks and I don't disagree with other posters who want Greene, Lovejoy, Hayes and Stafford out. Not sure about Moore, Gibbons and Grabner. Think Zajac should stay. 

Grabner didn't even play the last 3 games. He's gone. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Grabner didn't even play the last 3 games. He's gone. 

All I remember about Grabner when he played for Isles and Rangers is breakaway goals. He's a scorer not a gritty player we needed on our 4th line. Given 2 fast and skilled linemates he can find his game. I also think he wasn't happy about the trade.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

while i'd rather not have Greene next season... i'd be okay if he's still there... but without the C. We all know where the C should be.

If Greene is back next year, I honestly pray he isn’t, he needs to be bottom pair, emergency PK, nothing else. He also needs to be stripped of the C, as you mentioned. But I highly doubt Hynes will pull a Sutter and strip him mid tenure, let alone mid season.

no more of him leading the goddamn defensive corps in ice time, either.

5 hours ago, ilzz89 said:

I was impressed with Nico, hes grown so much since his 1st game of the season.

He really showed his age in the playoffs, but that's expected. He never played anywhere near that physical of hockey or so many games. He seemed to get better and better until the puck dropped in this series. That last month, he was straight clowning some of the best forwards in hockey. He's already become one of my favorite Devils. Weird to say about a guy 6 years my junior.

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

If Greene is back next year, I honestly pray he isn’t, he needs to be bottom pair, emergency PK, nothing else. He also needs to be stripped of the C, as you mentioned. But I highly doubt Hynes will pull a Sutter and strip him mid tenure, let alone mid season.

no more of him leading the goddamn defensive corps in ice time, either.

As much as I agree with most of what you say who takes over his role? Lovejoy, Santini, Severson, Mueller and Moore have all shown they're not up to the job. Shero has got to sign a top pairing guy imo. I'd like to think Greene would benefit from dropping down the order where his deficiencies aren't so obvious. 

6 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

We know we have dead weight on this team, I would like to see the following:

- Zajac should be traded, for 5.75 we can get so much more offense (Wild would be a good destination)

- Greene: I would buy him out, he is not worth 5 million

Let walk: Hayes/Clowe/Grabner/Stafford/Moore

Re-sign: Maroon

Unsure: Gibbons (he was good at the start, he is also 31 now, so ???)

Offseason moves: Possibly sign Tavares and John Carlson, trade Zajac to Wild, buyout Greene, hope Boyle resigns or just buy him out

Wild would be a good destination? You'd have to take similar salary back since they're basically capped out, and that doesn't even factor in that there's no way they would want Zajac. 

Buying out Greene? Why? Devils aren't in need of cap space.

lmao @ letting Clowe walk, he hasn't played in 3 seasons.

"hope Boyle resigns or just buy him out" Resign? He has another year. Why would be resign and why would NJ buy him out? 

7 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

That's my issue with Greene. He doesn't lead by example AT ALL. Hall should be the captain next season and if he isn't it's because they don't want to make Greene feel some type of way (not that I give a sh!t), it won't be because Hallsy doesn't deserve it. We all know he does. 

This is silly. Greene doesn't lead by example? What example are you talking about? 

Greene plays his balls off, has played above his head for years on mediocre teams, has largely held it together, and aside from last season - has kept himself healthy and barely missed any games. 

Scott Stevens he ain't, that's because of talent - not because heart, soul, and leadership. They are equals in that regard. 

Should he be top pairing? No, not on a cup contender. Let's see what happens. 

Should he have the "C" next season? Doesn't matter either way. I'm happy to give it to Hall, but then again, why add the pressure? 

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, lazer said:

id have to watch again but he wasnt screened it was from the blue line...the 1st goal is getting confused here

No he was screened by JT Miller if you look at where Cory's head was from behind, he didn't see the puck till the last moment or two when he moved his head.

13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Stamkos also said something like oh guess we showed that the regular season doesn't mean much since we lost to them all 3 times.

I hope Marchand runs that injury prone fvck head and knocks him out next round. 

I mean he's right but was anyone outside of us REALLY citing the 3-0 regular season series?  Almost every prediction had Tampa winning in 6 or whatever.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean he's right but was anyone outside of us REALLY citing the 3-0 regular season series?  Almost every prediction had Tampa winning in 6 or whatever.

Yeah probably not a lot and it's not like we dominated them either, one win was a shootout and another was Lack standing on his head making a ridiculous amount of saves.

It was the smug douche bag smirk and the way he said it that really pissed me off. 

10 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

This was a wonderfully surprising season: Hall's resurgence, Nico being drafted, getting Vatanen and losing Henrique (wish we kept him as well) and young Devils getting a taste of playoffs ... Noeson (didnt know he was 1st round pick), Jesper (hopefully he becomes consistent), Coleman/Gibbons, etc.

We know we have dead weight on this team, I would like to see the following:

- Zajac should be traded, for 5.75 we can get so much more offense (Wild would be a good destination)

- Greene: I would buy him out, he is not worth 5 million

Let walk: Hayes/Clowe/Grabner/Stafford/Moore

Re-sign: Maroon

Unsure: Gibbons (he was good at the start, he is also 31 now, so ???)

Offseason moves: Possibly sign Tavares and John Carlson, trade Zajac to Wild, buyout Greene, hope Boyle resigns or just buy him out

The closest we ever came to trading Zajac was when Lou became GM of the Leafs and he showed some interest, but Shannahan squashed it. No other GM would trade for Zajac at 5.75m. He's simply not worth it and we're stuck with him at that ridiculous salary until 2021-22 with a NTC I believe.  Zajac, Greene, and Severson are hopefully the last of the Lou/Conte mistakes we need to deal with (and yes I'd package Zacha - a Conte mistake - in  a deal. Just steer away from 30+ yr old players. We need to keep the quick, fast, youth movement going that Ray established). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

A few nice UFA centers this summer. Tavares, Bozak, Statsny, etc.

Statsny would be a nice fit, a fast center with offensive skills.  And John Carlson for D, another nice fit.

And TB did play like goons.  That crap will not work in the next round against playoff- hardened teams.  They will just kick their butt, because that is not their game.  Like bullies, they just picked on a young, inexperienced team.  BIG DEAL!!!

• Like 1

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/video/kucherov-extends-the-lead/t-277443740/c-60040403

i cant embed this video and im not making an issue here but i feel he should stop that shot

its all good; its not why they lost; next day i feel good about the team and the season and the next

alot of the criticism on zacha is because while he was a healthy scratch he was chirping he didnt know why it was deserved.

and lovejoy seems to be hynes favorite like he earned his spot somehow  i dont know; its all good

Edited by lazer

What a great season but damn the what ifs are killing me now the day after. And the biggest one is why oh why did we throw that last game against the Caps? We would've stood a better chance against Pittsburgh....I don't know, ive got to relax and accept I'm going through the stages of grief. Acceptance will hopefully come soon. But it's always bad juju taking foot off the pedal.

The notion that Pitt was a better matchup - or Boston - or Washington - or Columbus. They’re all bad matchups for the devils team. Because they are all better and deeper. 

The devils are ahead of schedule. 

Just need to keep progressing and not have a regression year. The leafs avoided it. The Avs a few years ago did not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lazer said:

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/video/kucherov-extends-the-lead/t-277443740/c-60040403

i cant embed this video and im not making an issue here but i feel he should stop that shot

Maybe, but by that point the Devils had been on borrowed time for the better of a period and a half. You kind of had to feel like their time was running out and it might be some dinky sh!t shot that made its way though after all those saves he made. Like you said, at the end of the day it isn't really why they lost. NJ had the whole game to do something and they only managed a sustained push in the last 5min when Palms scored.

19 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

The notion that Pitt was a better matchup - or Boston - or Washington - or Columbus. They’re all bad matchups for the devils team. Because they are all better and deeper. 

The devils are ahead of schedule. 

Just need to keep progressing and not have a regression year. The leafs avoided it. The Avs a few years ago did not. 

Idk Philly has made it a series with Pitt, so I do think the Devils would have fared better against them as well. Unlike the reg season wins against Tampa the Devils actually dominated the Pens at times. 

• Like 1