Greene Traded To Isles: Devils Twitter

Devil Dan 56

Feels weird to feel absolutely nothing about a guy who I watched play 14 seasons and 973 games in a Devils uniform. I never hated nor loved the guy. A huge amount of indifference from me when it comes to him. He was fine for what he was but was never anything special. I'm sure he'll get a nice video package and standing ovation when he comes back for his first game but I can't say that I actually care. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Feels weird to feel absolutely nothing about a guy who I watched play 14 seasons and 973 games in a Devils uniform. I never hated nor loved the guy. A huge amount of indifference from me when it comes to him. He was fine for what he was but was never anything special. I'm sure he'll get a nice video package and standing ovation when he comes back for his first game but I can't say that I actually care. 

You just summed up my feelings on him.  There were times that I was kinda impressed with what a solid player he'd become (that's going back a ways), and more recent times where I was thinking "Jesus is there some reason why this guy NEVER gets scratched?!"  I heard about his being traded while I was on line to enter the building, and like you, I just felt...nothing.  Only thing that I can say I felt was some happiness at having landed a second-round pick...I couldn't care less about Brother Q, who was clearly as throw-in as it gets.  Even if it had been Greene for a second-rounder straight-up, I would've been happy with that return.  

I'll feel much more if Zajac ever gets dealt, before the end of his deal. 

• Like 2

Greene is/was one of my top 10 all-time favorite Devils.  Possibly even top 5.  I had a game worn collection of his jerseys and probably owned about 8-10 of his game worn jerseys through the years.  At this point I have zero but would like to get at least one captain's one eventually.  I always felt he was underrated by both the fans and especially the league in the years from 2009 through 2016.  He was a warrior who was very rarely injured and gave his most in every game.

Unfortunately Father Time caught up with him the past 2-3 seasons and he was not nearly as effective as he used to be.  In that time he went from a player whom I wanted to see retire as a Devil to a guy who I loved but felt like it was time to move on.  I wanted to move on for the sake of the Devils as well as for Andy's sake to he could get at least one more shot at the playoffs and a cup.

I have met him a few times over the years and he was always very courteous albeit a little soft-spoken.  He seemed like very much an unassuming person and never seemed to get caught up in the spotlight.  I wish Andy well and I will be rooting for him in the playoffs.

• Like 3

It’s a little rough to have no feeling at all about Greene, the dude carved out a solid 15-year career as an undrafted FA on the ice and never embarrassed the franchise off it. But it did get overshadowed a LOT having the Coleman rumors start literally a half hour after the Greene trade.

i appreciated greene in that he eventually took over paul martin's role who sorta faked his way in neidermayer's role. but i was also never terribly attached to him. i think part of that was his play in that he was usually solid and just kinda there. also being a relatively quiet guy kept him in the background a lot.

very pleased with the return.

Glad I'm not alone, and I feel like most others apparently do.  Greene was a good player for a long time, and he had the misfortune of being on some bad Devils teams, so I think that also hurts his value to us a bit too - had he played more of his career on either the Cup teams or even the mid 2000s teams that still had success, we might feel a bit different about him. Through no fault of his own, he's lumped in with some of the other guys who were part of these otherwise forgettable seasons of Devils hockey in the 2010ish-decade. 

Add to that the fact that he was never the fastest defender we had, nor the most physical, and I think that's why a lot of us are basically "meh" about him, especially with how his skills kinda declined a fair amount of the past few years.  Had the guy not been given and worn the 'C' for a few years, I think he'd be regarded as even more of a mediocre player.  I hate to say this about a beloved guy, but he's sort of like a Sergei Brylin.  A guy who gets a ton of praise for being loyal and having put on a Devils jersey for his whole career, but in the grand scheme of things he was so-so. Greene gets a boost above Brylin in my book because he was named Captain, which isn't an easy task for anyone.

Greene was a man behind the net, guy made a living digging out pucks and getting it cleared for most of his 14 years.. who do we have to do that now besides PK? the advanced stats guys were having sal blow smoke up sevs butt with his clearing stats and the video footage they showed was green digging it out and passing it to a wide open sevs behind the net LMAO . (damon has been playing solid D these past few weeks BTW)but as an undrafted FA greene couldnt afford to get old and lose a step of quickness, so this was a good move all around. good for andy good for the devils.. organization has come clean and told us were still 2 years away.  

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bingo! It's like you read my mind. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Brylin gets the boost for multiple Cups in my book. 

Well that's basically my point - we think of Brylin as a beloved and great player because he was part of 3 amazing Cup teams, something Greene did not have the benefit of.  In actuality, when you consider their skill, and impact to the team, they're pretty similar.  I gave Greene points for wearing the C as I mentioned, because that's something he did as an individual.  Brylin winning 3 Cups wasn't all his doing.  

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Well that's basically my point - we think of Brylin as a beloved and great player because he was part of 3 amazing Cup teams, something Greene did not have the benefit of.  In actuality, when you consider their skill, and impact to the team, they're pretty similar.  I gave Greene points for wearing the C as I mentioned, because that's something he did as an individual.  Brylin winning 3 Cups wasn't all his doing.  

Arguably, it was mostly not his doing. He was much more a guy who just happened to be on the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It’s a little rough to have no feeling at all about Greene, the dude carved out a solid 15-year career as an undrafted FA on the ice and never embarrassed the franchise off it. But it did get overshadowed a LOT having the Coleman rumors start literally a half hour after the Greene trade.

I admit, it's weird to not have terribly strong feelings about him, because he was here a long time and he was always a good soldier (not always good on the ice of course).  But before I even knew Coleman was about to be traded, and heard about Greene, my reaction was just as I described it.  It wasn't sadness or joy or anything in between.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I admit, it's weird to not have terribly strong feelings about him, because he was here a long time and he was always a good soldier (not always good on the ice of course).  But before I even knew Coleman was about to be traded, and heard about Greene, my reaction was just as I described it.  It wasn't sadness or joy or anything in between.   

He was like a piece of old furniture, been around for what seems like forever, serviceable but in the end he was just there for a really long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's definitely true, a winner's bias if you will.  Greene would have fit in great on those Devils teams of the early '00's, I'd certainly take prime Greene over prime Colin White and late-career Dano as a LD, but he had the misfortune of not only playing on a lot of dogmeat Devils teams, but captaining two of the worst years in franchise history back to back toward the end of his career which gives him the rap of not being a good leader in spite of 2018.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

He was like a piece of old furniture, been around for what seems like forever, serviceable but in the end he was just there for a really long time.

Or the Centennial Light Bulb. You look at it and you think "how the hell is this thing still around?"  it's not as useful as more modern bulbs, but it still serves a purpose at the bare minimum. The filament is still glowing, albeit very dimly. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's definitely true, a winner's bias if you will.  Greene would have fit in great on those Devils teams of the early '00's, I'd certainly take prime Greene over prime Colin White and late-career Dano as a LD, but he had the misfortune of not only playing on a lot of dogmeat Devils teams, but captaining two of the worst years in franchise history back to back toward the end of his career which gives him the rap of not being a good leader in spite of 2018.

Couldn’t disagree more on that one. Greene would have been just a guy on those teams. White was as tough as they come, and along with Stevens put fear into opposing players. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Couldn’t disagree more on that one. Greene would have been just a guy on those teams. White was as tough as they come, and along with Stevens put fear into opposing players. 

Agreed. Colin White was very aggressive and also quite underrated in my opinion. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah White was very solid. He’s probably one of the most underrated, under-appreciated players from the glory years. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Consider yourself lucky, it's been horrible near me the last few years every time we play these idiots. Stupid yes chants and acting like they won cups recently. Absolutely obnoxious. I'll be rooting against them.

They have something to be proud of, and I guess why the hell not. I remember when it was great to be a Devils fan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

They have something to be proud of, and I guess why the hell not. I remember when it was great to be a Devils fan

They haven't won anything yet but they act like complete ass clowns. The Rangers are the only team I won't root for against the Islanders in the playoffs. That's how much they have grown to annoy me over the past few years. 

• Like 1