Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was my suggestion (Wood + mid round pick for "future considerations", just to clear space), but someone suggested that Wood is crappy enough at this point that any team willing to do us a space-clearing favor might ask for a higher pick in return.  I'd be willing to give up a 3rd-rounder myself, depending on what that cleared-up space would be used for next.    

The Devils have a few prospects like Foote or Walsh to add to any deal they make, I don't think Wood and one of those are going to cost them much more then a 4th, of course depending on who they are trading for.

Does anyone know about Bernier and how exactly that whole thing works?

I thought I saw somewhere that the Devils if they paid for someone to take him for LIR that they would get a good chunk of money for the Cap, but I have zero information for that?

29 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The Devils have a few prospects like Foote or Walsh to add to any deal they make, I don't think Wood and one of those are going to cost them much more then a 4th, of course depending on who they are trading for.

Does anyone know about Bernier and how exactly that whole thing works?

I thought I saw somewhere that the Devils if they paid for someone to take him for LIR that they would get a good chunk of money for the Cap, but I have zero information for that?

To clarify, I was saying that Fitz would likely be making two separate deals:  one that would be to dump Wood (and then attach a pick to get a team to be willing to take on his full remaining hit, for basically no return other than newfound cap space), and then Fitz would have the money to try to go out and deal for someone else.

Here's some general info on LTIR:

Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) - High Level Overview | Puckpedia

• To qualify for LTIR, a player must be expected to miss at least 10 NHL Games AND 24 days of the NHL season
  • When a player is on LTIR, a team may exceed the salary cap. Despite the common misconception, LTIR does not remove a Cap Hit from a team’s overall Cap Hit, it just potentially allows the team to exceed the salary cap.
  • The amount that a team may exceed the salary cap due to LTIR is commonly referred to as the “LTIR Pool”
  • If a team is cap compliant on opening day without using LTIR, or uses LTIR at any point during the season, the LTIR Pool is the Cap Hit of the LTIR player less the team’s cap space when the player goes on LTIR.  For example, if a player with a $4M Cap Hit goes on LTIR when the team has $100K of Cap Space, the LTIR pool is $3.9M ($4M-$0.1M). Because of this, team’s often make several roster moves right before a player goes on LTIR in order to be as close to the cap as possible, in order to maximize the LTIR Pool
  • If a team cannot be cap compliant on opening day without using LTIR, the LTIR Pool is the amount the team exceeds the Cap. For example, if a team is $3M over the Cap and places a player on LTIR with a $4M Cap Hit for the opening roster submission, the LTIR Pool is the $3M that the team exceeded the cap
  • While on LTIR, Cap Space is no longer accrued, meaning any portion of the LTIR pool not used cannot be used later.
  • When a player comes off LTIR, the team’s annual cap hit for that day must be under the Cap
Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not a trade but deadline related. I wonder who bent, because that's more than I thought Yzerman would go.

29 minutes ago, Henriqued said:

Also

Huuuge news for Detroit. Hronek has been good for them so that's weird to me and there were a lot of rumors about Larkin being shopped since he rejected (supposedly) 8x8. 

The Yzerplan plot thickens. 

When I say Arizona, I'm talking about the fan base, not the organization. It took time for Arizona, but they realized they were overvaluing him. All in all, Arizona got somewhat a fair deal for a player who spends as much time on the couch as he does the ice

Edited by Muevelos

6 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Wood looks like one of the best power forwards in the league, right guys?

Let's hope every team in the league has been watching him and thinking, hey we need that guy on our team.

Sell high, sell fast Fitz, replace him and get a better version of Smith if you can.

Do we really think there’s another move coming? 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

If I were GM for a day, I'd try for another defender, move on from Blackwood and try to swap Wood for a bottom 6 player

All sounds great and I don’t disagree, just don’t think that Fitz has the flexibility to make much happen.

Wood has 5 points in his last 5 games.  Yeah it came as a bit of a surprise too…especially it seems like he’s wiping out every other shift these days.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Boston is absolutely loading up...

I'm holding out hope for Tom Wilson.

Slim to none chance, I know

If his cap hit wasn't over $5 million AAV, I'd say there was a chance.  But I just don't think that Fitz will be able to move enough money to squeeze him in. 

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Boston is absolutely loading up...

I'm holding out hope for Tom Wilson.

Slim to none chance, I know

Yeah we have had a great year but I think is playing this like win a round and then see what happens. Boston is loading up because they have an issue with their best players coming to an end. That window isn’t open very much and they are trying to shove the cup through it. Our is just opened on the way up. 

Plus I think we are done because of the cap and I haven’t heard a thing about interest the devils have in anyone like I hear about other things. I think I heard something about Lars Eller a couple days ago but that ship is sailed considering we played against him on Colorado last night… has anyone read anything anywhere? 

10 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Yeah we have had a great year but I think is playing this like win a round and then see what happens. Boston is loading up because they have an issue with their best players coming to an end. That window isn’t open very much and they are trying to shove the cup through it. Ours is just opened on the way up. 

re:  the bolded, think about it...two players who figure to be a HUUUUUUUGE part of the D-corp for YEARS aren't even here yet!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All sounds great and I don’t disagree, just don’t think that Fitz has the flexibility to make much happen.

Wood has 5 points in his last 5 games.  Yeah it came as a bit of a surprise too…especially it seems like he’s wiping out every other shift these days.  

I don’t have any interest in keeping miles wood just because he showed up for a few games. If someone wants him I’d much rather use the 3 million in something else. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t have any interest in keeping miles wood just because he showed up for a few games. If someone wants him I’d much rather use the 3 million in something else. 

I was NOT saying that I’m now sold on him due to this sudden lil’ point surge.  I’m with ya, if there’s a taker for him and Fitz can allocate that cap space for something better, by all means, I’m all in.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976