New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Knight is now the third player to enter the program, i think.

On one hand, I feel for the players for having to do this, but on the other I think it’s good they’re making it public that it’s okay for these guys to say they need help too. No one is beyond needing it

The bolded:  exactly.  Especially since so many people are afraid of being seen as weak somehow, or afraid of being labeled as mentally "defective"...and then out of fear of ridicule DON'T get the help that they need.  Or are told by the wrong people to "suck it up", "figure it out", etc.  Hope he gets through it and is OK.  And maybe someone or multiple someones see a guy like Knight getting the help that he needs and are then inspired to do the same.

He's definitely had a very difficult time on the ice lately...an .849 save% in his last 7 NHL games.  Almost felt like something might be up with him, beyond just a slump.  My nephew is friendly with him (went to high school together and graduated in the same class)...wouldn't surprise me if he reached out to Knight personally to offer some well-wishes.  My nephew has always said that he's a really good guy. 

• Like 5

follwong up with the Knight post, it’s even more amazing that it’s not drug or alcohol related. Could very well just be mental health, and again I couldn’t be more proud of a person I don’t personally know being willing to raise a hand and say “hey I need help.”

I’ve done it and it was the greatest thing I coulda done for myself. Wasn’t a danger to myself or anyone, but man did it feel amazing to get it under control and if I have a flare up (for lack of a better term) I can control it rather than it being debilitating. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

follwong up with the Knight post, it’s even more amazing that it’s not drug or alcohol related. Could very well just be mental health, and again I couldn’t be more proud of a person I don’t personally know being willing to raise a hand and say “hey I need help.”

I’ve done it and it was the greatest thing I coulda done for myself. Wasn’t a danger to myself or anyone, but man did it feel amazing to get it under control and if I have a flare up (for lack of a better term) I can control it rather than it being debilitating. 

Good for him for reaching out. That’s a difficult thing to do so I’m glad he was able to

• Like 3

18 hours ago, devilsfan26 said:

I disagree because it's easier to tell the exact moment that a puck crosses a line than when the puck leaves a player's stick.  The author of that article completely fails to acknowledge this and gives two examples where it's clear that the puck left the stick before the buzzer but just didn't cross the line in time.  Also his point seems to be about buzzer beaters being taken away because the shot was a split second too late, but the same thing would happen if they changed the rule--someone could take a shot right at the buzzer but the moment the puck leaves his stick could be after the buzzer started sounding.  This would also result in a lot of lengthy reviews because of how nearly impossible it is to tell the exact moment the puck is no longer in contact with the stick.  At least with the current rule, you have a camera always giving you a directly overhead view of the line.  The rule is what it is because it's black and white, it's relatively easy to tell if it's a goal or not and the basketball rule would be damned near impossible to call accurately in the NHL.  Not because Bettman is "sleeping on the job" and "hates fun."

Yeah, I'm with you. The article is barstool sports level writing & reasoning. I read the article and it really wasn't even clear what the writer is advocating for because he doesn't explicitly state what he wants, but he wants the reviews to look at when the puck came off a stick and count goals after the buzzer. 

This just comes from this blogger's definition of buzzer-beater in basketball. Just because in basketball the ball can go in the net after the buzzer and it still counts doesn't mean we need to change the rules of hockey off of the basketball definition of a buzzer-beater. 

Buzzer-beaters still exist in hockey, but they have to actually beat the buzzer. 

Hockey should not aspire to be basketball just because "muh college basketball so excite". 

• Like 3

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

Yeah, I'm with you. The article is barstool sports level writing & reasoning. I read the article and it really wasn't even clear what the writer is advocating for because he doesn't explicitly state what he wants, but he wants the reviews to look at when the puck came off a stick and count goals after the buzzer. 

This just comes from this blogger's definition of buzzer-beater in basketball. Just because in basketball the ball can go in the net after the buzzer and it still counts doesn't mean we need to change the rules of hockey off of the basketball definition of a buzzer-beater. 

Buzzer-beaters still exist in hockey, but they have to actually beat the buzzer. 

Hockey should not aspire to be basketball just because "muh college basketball so excite". 

It’s also a disaster if a shot is taken before the buzzer but gets tipped along the way. Then you’re trying to figure out when the tip was and all that. It sounds messy. I’m sorry Kane didn’t get his moment but hockey already tried too hard to be basketball

• Like 1

I wouldn't change it either. It's two different sports. Basketball has a ball in the air that once it's shot is basically remained untouched if it beats the buzzer. Hockey has numerous people in front of the net, deflections and then so what is it, the moment the puck shot or are we gonna count a rebound put in after a buzzer beat shot. 

It would be a stupid change. Beat the clock or stfu and enjoy your loss. 

15 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It’s also a disaster if a shot is taken before the buzzer but gets tipped along the way. Then you’re trying to figure out when the tip was and all that. It sounds messy. I’m sorry Kane didn’t get his moment but hockey already tried too hard to be basketball

That’s actually a good point, in addition to some other good points by previous posters. I never thought of a tip situation. I guess it isn’t really feasible to change the rule when you think about it. 

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

Knight is now the third player to enter the program, i think.

On one hand, I feel for the players for having to do this, but on the other I think it’s good they’re making it public that it’s okay for these guys to say they need help too. No one is beyond needing it

Do we know if the players have to agree to let it be announced? They should also be allowed to keep it private if that is their choice. 

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s actually a good point, in addition to some other good points by previous posters. I never thought of a tip situation. I guess it isn’t really feasible to change the rule when you think about it. 

Yeah was going to say the same thing.  All fair points raised as to why it wouldn’t work (or would become too complicated).

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Do we know if the players have to agree to let it be announced? They should also be allowed to keep it private if that is their choice. 

I hadn't thought of that, I would imagine them entering the program has to be knowledge for bookkeeping purposes, cause of cap implications and all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

What a gongshow in Florida. Not that I don't mind them losing out.

What are you referring to?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

They are having a terrible year and now their top goalie prospect is out indefinitely 

Yeah but the reason he’s out indefinitely…you’re having fun with this?

Weird situation for the Isles…they currently own the WC1 slot but three teams in particular are not only within four points or less of them, but those three teams also each have five games in hand on the Isles.

Hard to imagine the Isles finding a way to hold onto a WC berth unless they find some way to put some kind of surge together…they’re actually 7-3-2 in their last 12, but seems like it going to take considerably more to secure a spot.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Weird situation for the Isles…they currently own the WC1 slot but three teams in particular are not only within four points or less of them, but those three teams also each have five games in hand on the Isles.

Hard to imagine the Isles finding a way to hold onto a WC berth unless they find some way to put some kind of surge together…they’re actually 7-3-2 in their last 12, but seems like it going to take considerably more to secure a spot.

they have a shot. watch lou pull in timo. it's gotta be one of his last hurrahs right? 

16 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I’d pay money for that to happen

No need to, they are doing a pretty good job for the past few year without us having to do anything. The reality is the Rangers ownership is astute at what they do. These moves should help get them into the playoffs, but above all increase demand. Its pure marketing for them.