All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, SS-SS said:

Serious question: What is it we need more? Offense, defense or goaltending?

Looking at the team these past couple of weeks, I changed my opinion about three times. Is Kinkaid that bad or have we gave him 0 chances on many nights (especially when Hall is out) with abysmal offensive performances? Same question for the defense...if you don't score, it's hard to come out with the points even if you defend correctly. 

I feel the main difference from the beginning of the season and now is that some guys just disappeared from the scoresheet. We can't afford a bad night from any of our top offensive guys. 

Do you try and get a guy like Galchenyuk or do you try to strengthen your goaltending options? Assuming we are still in the playoff race come deadline day. 

I can almost guarantee they won't be making any goalie-related moves...that's what was done by bringing in Lack, although you could clearly argue that if there was ever a time to use him and see what you got out of him, it'd be now, and they're not doing that, but even still.  I believe they have confidence in Schneider still as a semi-long term option.  Obviously he's basically just past the fringe of his prime years now, but I feel the consensus is that he's got enough good years left in him to keep us afloat as we continue build the rest of the team up front, and then once that's further solidified, maybe we can look to add a goaltender at some point, assuming one in our current system doesn't develop from within, which doesn't seem likely given the current pipeline. I'm OK with this too, because despite how much we miss Cory right now, I still believe it would be better to add a forward with some size, to toughen up that group, or add a left-handed defenseman to help quarterback one of our powerplay lines.  To be quite frank though, I actually don't expect Shero to be too active in the coming weeks.  I just don't think what we're after is out there right now, and I'd rather have him sit patient and wait for the right opportunity to strike instead of fishing and snatching up the first thing that bites.

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can almost guarantee they won't be making any goalie-related moves...that's what was done by bringing in Lack, although you could clearly argue that if there was ever a time to use him and see what you got out of him, it'd be now, and they're not doing that, but even still.  I believe they have confidence in Schneider still as a semi-long term option.  Obviously he's basically just past the fringe of his prime years now, but I feel the consensus is that he's got enough good years left in him to keep us afloat as we continue build the rest of the team up front, and then once that's further solidified, maybe we can look to add a goaltender at some point, assuming one in our current system doesn't develop from within, which doesn't seem likely given the current pipeline. I'm OK with this too, because despite how much we miss Cory right now, I still believe it would be better to add a forward with some size, to toughen up that group, or add a left-handed defenseman to help quarterback one of our powerplay lines.  To be quite frank though, I actually don't expect Shero to be too active in the coming weeks.  I just don't think what we're after is out there right now, and I'd rather have him sit patient and wait for the right opportunity to strike instead of fishing and snatching up the first thing that bites.

Man, the bolded is really a reminder of how the Devils have had a hell of a time developing goalies from within since Marty first made his debut.  Off the top of my head, who's been the best of the bunch?  Dunham (who was drafted in the same year as Marty)?  But then there's the list of guys who were drafted pretty high and did almost nothing:  JF Damphousse (1st round, 1997), Ari Ahonen (1st round, 1999), and Jeff Frazee (2nd round, 2005)...and it's starting to look like Blackwood might be joining that crowd (still early, hopefully not).  Wedge was a late third-rounder (2010)...he's not exactly dominating with the Yotes, but at least he's an NHLer for the moment.    

I was actually thinking the other day, I wouldn't hate the Devils bringing in someone like Robin Lehner if the price isn't prohibitive, it might be a good long-term investment for this team to get a guy behind Cory that can play 30 games if need be instead of being stuck with someone like Kinkaid or Lack who are typically gonna give us sub .900 performances.

Surely you bring in an experienced proven goalie as a backup as the last building block of a team that's ready to make a tilt for the cup? I don't think that we're at that point yet. There's some pieces still to be added and although the backup situation clearly isn't good enough right now I doubt it's going to be addressed in this trade window.

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Surely you bring in an experienced proven goalie as a backup as the last building block of a team that's ready to make a tilt for the cup? I don't think that we're at that point yet. There's some pieces still to be added and although the backup situation clearly isn't good enough right now I doubt it's going to be addressed in this trade window.

If you’re in the playoffs you’re a Cup contender.  If you can get a better backup or starting goalie for cheap, it’s something worth doing.

Just for the sake of facts, here are three of the F's that Shero has supposedly inquired about.

Pacioretty, one additional season at 4.5m

Galchenyuk, two additional seasons at 4.9m

Hoffman, two additional seasons at 5.2m

In this case, I think Hoffman makes the most sense although he is the most expensive cap-wise. I don't think he'll demand as much as Pacioretty (although the extra year may come into play there) but the Devils could certainly deal for him without demanding Ottawa to retain salary. He could provide a nice boost to the second line considering 9, 13, 21 looked pretty solid tonight. I'm not really in favor or giving up too much of the future, but if the Sens really go into firesale mode, I would at least listen.

Galchenyuk is the one that interests me the most. Lots of talent, but seems to have been handled poorly in Montreal for most of the time he has been there. That kind of move has Shero's name written all over it. He's young enough to be a long term core player too. The only problem is it seems that the timing is off because recently Galchenyuk has had a more prominent role with the Canadiens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nessus said:

Galchenyuk is the one that interests me the most. Lots of talent, but seems to have been handled poorly in Montreal for most of the time he has been there. That kind of move has Shero's name written all over it. He's young enough to be a long term core player too. The only problem is it seems that the timing is off because recently Galchenyuk has had a more prominent role with the Canadiens.

I agree. I think if the Devils make a move its for Galchenyuk. I think he needs a fresh place but I'm not giving up a kings ransom

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

There were rumors Shero was talking to Bergevin about Galchenyuk over the summer (Henrique was rumored to have been going the other way). Where there's smoke....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Lebrun, who was the one who initially connected Galchenyuk to the Devils over the summer, it sounds like all's quiet with Galchenyuk right now. 

• Like 1

I'm still all about Hoffman.  I'd love to have him on this team.

Just think the cost is going to be too high.  You're going to see a bidding war for a lot of these guys I think.

And I pass on Galchenyuk, just imo.  Unless you can get him dirt cheap (straight up for Santini or something) I don't think he's worth a significant investment at this point.

9 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I ABSOLUTELY make a move for Patches or Chucky if the price is right. 

IMO If they move Pacioretty they will surely have a huge asking price. They are kinda realizing one day after the other how much they messed up with the Subban trade and considering Pacioretty is a potential 40goals per season guy (and they know it) and he's the captain...they are basically going to ask for way much than we can afford to give them.

Galchenyuk tho is one that might move for a lower price. I'm Shero, I would try and get the guy within the limits of what is reasonable. This guy only needs to be put in the right environment (pretty much anywhere else than Montreal) and he'll show up with the points production. 

Exactly right. We’re not a player or two away from a championship. We’re better off developing the young guys we have and then consider making moves in the future. 

Now, if someone is available for late round picks or guys who we don’t really have great expectations of, different story. 

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly right. We’re not a player or two away from a championship. We’re better off developing the young guys we have and then consider making moves in the future. 

Now, if someone is available for late round picks or guys who we don’t really have great expectations of, different story. 

There are two players that might be available that would make us a contender now, OEL and Karlsson.  My opinion is that we probably have the stuff available to land either of them which at least in the short term won’t be that painful, meaning it wouldn’t be cutting off your nose to spite your face.  In the longer term, Castron will have to work some magic and find some good players in the later rounds.

The caveat here is that Schneider isn’t in a permanent decline, or that we couldn’t pick up someone like Raanta if necessary.  If the goaltending is horrid pretty much everything will be for naught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Is Brandon Saad an option since it looks like Chicago is done?

He's had such a weird season, as have all of the Hawks. On the hook for another 3 years at $6m per. I think it'd be a crapshoot, either we get lucky and he regains his CBJ form or we keep riding the downswing he's shown this year. Plus we'd probably have to give up a lot to get him.