Grabner to Devils - confirmed, for 2nd round pick and D Igor Rykov

Triumph

Holy fvcking sh!t, I just woke up to find out we traded with them? I like the move from a strictly hockey perspective, Grabner is a great fit.... but this is different than trading Rykov anywhere else. If Rykov turns out to be any good, I'm going to be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Holy fvcking sh!t, I just woke up to find out we traded with them? I like the move from a strictly hockey perspective, Grabner is a great fit.... but this is different than trading Rykov anywhere else. If Rykov turns out to be any good, I'm going to be pissed.

I'll take those chances, the move improves our team now, without giving up anyone on the team.   

• Like 2

This is kind of the exact type of move I didn’t want to see, unless Shero has a pretty good idea he can be re-signed. Not having to uproot himself and his family (if applicable) helps toward that I suppose. 

Of course, he could re-sign with them too, then the joke is on us. I’m not otherwise concerned about trading Rykov, you have to give something to get a 25 goal scorer. 

I don’t mind Grabner at all, but I’m not a fan of this move. 

Edited by mfitz804

One of those moves that will be easy for some to second-guess, if the Devils somehow miss the playoffs, and Grabner winds up re-signing with the Rangers.  If you're a Ranger fan this morning, you have to be happy with the return, no matter what Grabner does as a Devil.

That being said, not only do I like that Grabner seems like the right guy to bring in at the right time, I like the message that Shero is sending to his team.  He easily could've stood pat and been satisfied with a season that saw the Devils make considerable progress, and could've just left it up to the the team as is to try to find their way into the playoffs...but instead, told Hall and others "I believe in you guys, and I'm willing to take a pretty big risk here to help you all out."  That might give some players that extra push.  And hopefully Schneider can play at or near his best once he returns.

• Like 3

There's a reason why teams aren't drafting Russians much anymore, most of them don't even want to come over here anymore. 

Can't stand the loser mentality that I've been seeing across the internet from some people. We gave up barely nothing and I want to make the playoffs. Once you're in you never know what can happen. Missing the playoffs 5 straight seasons and 6 of the past 7 is enough losing for me.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Grabner is the exact kind of player who would do well in the Devils system. I expect a lot of Vatanen / Grabner plays. 

Getting a lot of breakaways is not just about speed, you got to be able to read the play well to position yourself at the right place, right time.

Feels so good to have a fast team now and seeing guys actually trying to beat defenders with speed. the system wouldn't allow it in the past plus we didn't even have fast players

Also i know we want to get younger which we did but with that guy's speed and how he fits the system im totally fine with it

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 4

I don’t really mind giving up Rykov. We still have a few decent defensive prospects. And what’s up with this Jacob MacDonald dude in Binghamton they were talking about during intermission last night? LHD leading the team in scoring? And he leads the league in defensive power play goals. Think maybe he’ll get a look with the big club anytime soon? 

Edited by Jerzey

Wasn't Grabner also relegated to the third and fourth line, and I'm assuming not playing against the top pairing defensemen. Along with the empty net goals, it makes me feel that the stats are a bit padded. Grabner was also never allowed to play on the powerplay. Was this management or did the coaches know something we didn't? I remember when Clarkson had a 30 goal season.....lol. That having been said, I want him to prove me wrong!

I really like this move.  Always been a fan of Grabner.   Guy obviously has some great speed, and he has a pretty good knack for finding the back of the net too.  With that said, I really hate trading with these fvcks.  Forget about the fact that it could eventually hurt us a little in the long run if Rykov does in fact come over here and ends up being a good player for them, but just knowing that we made a deal with these guys...I feel dirty. 

Overall though, agree that the message Shero is sending is a good one - that we're not satisified with the season we've had this far, and even if we did make the post-season without Grabner, that we wouldn't be satisified just backing into the playoffs and being content with whatever happens. This is going to get everyone excited, and hopefully elevate their game.  

Not sure if we'll be able to re-sign Grabner for next year, but he's still young enough that he could be a piece here for quite a few years still. I like it.

• Like 1

And I'll also say that as long as Grabner plays well and fits in like we hope, I want him resigned. He's the type of player that is perfect for the way we play, and I'm not about giving up a 2 and a decent prospect like Rykov to them for 20 games and a round or two of playoff games. I want him as part of the solution going forward.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Wasn't Grabner also relegated to the third and fourth line, and I'm assuming not playing against the top pairing defensemen. Along with the empty net goals, it makes me feel that the stats are a bit padded. Grabner was also never allowed to play on the powerplay. Was this management or did the coaches know something we didn't? I remember when Clarkson had a 30 goal season.....lol. That having been said, I want him to prove me wrong!

Bad comparison. Clarkson scored more than 20 ONCE. Grabner has done it 4 times already. And the empty net goals really don’t concern me. That he’s scoring that many means he can be trusted defensively late in games to protect leads. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bad comparison. Clarkson scored more than 20 ONCE. Grabner has done it 4 times already. And the empty net goals really don’t concern me. That he’s scoring that many means he can be trusted defensively late in games to protect leads. 

Grabner is actually good defensively so in order to score empty net goals you have to put yourself in a situation to do so. We're clearly struggling at that

1 hour ago, nessus said:

"HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?"

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Howdidthis.jpg

I hope you both pour spoiled milk in your cereal or coffee today and don't realize it until it is too late...

On a related note though... I thought this commercail aired too often during Devils games, but I never realized how much worse you guys have it out here as its on other channels too, like NBC watching the Olympics. I at least get it only during the games when I'm back out west, man its brutal out here...

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I hope you both pour spoiled milk in your cereal or coffee today and don't realize it until it is too late...

On a related note though... I thought this commercail aired too often during Devils games, but I never realized how much worse you guys have it out here as its on other channels too, like NBC watching the Olympics. I at least get it only during the games when I'm back out west, man its brutal out here...

i feel blessed for being clueless about that commercial is. I have no idea what it is

This is a good trade and a necessary one. Rykov has shown some positive development but there still is no guarantee he becomes an NHL regular. I think he's definitely coming to North America but it may not be soon. 

A second round pick has value but rarely is it immediate. Middle second rounders bust all the time. Grabner is quick, he scores goals, he kills penalties. He is an immediate upgrade and worth it even if he ends up being little else than a rental. The Devils right now are just starting to open up that window of contention. In the process we're going to have to make some additions without making immediate talent subtractions. Trading some picks is part of it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i feel blessed for being clueless about that commercial is. I have no idea what it is

I have no idea about this commercial either.

This mornign when I saw the trade I was confused on who Grabner was.  I was trying to think of players on Buffalo since there was talk of Devils scouts at their games and not even thinking about the Rangers since that never happened before.  I like the trade excited to see what he can add to our offence.