2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The real question is the price to trade for him. Rumor has it both sides, VGK and Gusev have been talking two-year deal and the difference is on $$$. The Devils don't have much to risk in signing any two-year deal and there's plenty of upside here. No doubt we can offer him every dollar any other team can, so again, to me the question is...how many picks is it going to cost us and which, if any, roster players?

It’s gotta he picks and or guys in the minors. Vegas is still on the wrong side of the cap even with Clarkson going to LTIR

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Lou will never change. 

@ChrisKuc
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner: "We were still pretty much all in with Long Island and they walked away—didn’t want to do anything."
New #Blackhawks goaltender Robin Lehner said the Islanders gave him an "ultimatum" and when he came back after thinking about it the Isles had moved on.

Lou again with his hardline ultimatum BS. Lehner turned his life around, is 27 and was a .930 goalie last year. Yes the Isles played way better defensively but .930 is .930. He was magnificent

Sometimes if feels like Lou would rather stick to his guns and lose than swallow his pride a bit and win

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

It’s gotta he picks and or guys in the minors. Vegas is still on the wrong side of the cap even with Clarkson going to LTIR

Well, it's clear VGK was negotiating with him, McPhee seemed to want to keep him and there's other salary VGK can move, which is why I figured Gusev wasn't an option. So I'm not sure VGK is set with their roster for the upcoming year. The rumor is the difference between Gusev and VGK is on price and so in return for Gusev, VGK may want a roster player at the value they were looking for with Gusev. But it could be just picks of course.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Lou again with his hardline ultimatum BS. Lehner turned his life around, is 27 and was a .930 goalie last year. Yes the Isles played way better defensively but .930 is .930. He was magnificent

Sometimes if feels like Lou would rather stick to his guns and lose than swallow his pride a bit and win

i'm pretty sure i mentioned this.... at some point.................

4 hours ago, '7' said:

I think Lehner is telling a bit of a one sided story. I saw reports that he had been offered a two year deal by the islanders at 5 mill per. He had been hoping for either longer term or more $, so his agent said they should go to market and see what there was. 

Turns out the term wasn't there on any interested team and they were offering the same $ , but by the time this was done Lou had already pulled the trigger on Varlamov. 

Could Lou have waited? Maybe, but he doesn't know what other teams are offering, and he can't be without a starter in net. 

This place seems fairly tame thankfully,  but some other places are showing panic.

I look at the 2018 team that made the playoffs, this year the roster is light years better than that. If this team gets the same underwhelming .908 save percentage, it won’t take 93 points from Hall to make the playoffs. 

Simmonds is a great signing to shore up the PP. If L3 is Coleman - Zajac - Simmonds, it’s the best we’ve had in ages.

My biggest concern is the PP D at this point. Beyond Greene it is very murky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

This place seems fairly tame thankfully,  but some other places are showing panic.

I look at the 2018 team that made the playoffs, this year the roster is light years better than that. If this team gets the same underwhelming .908 save percentage, it won’t take 93 points from Hall to make the playoffs. 

Simmonds is a great signing to shore up the PP. If L3 is Coleman - Zajac - Simmonds, it’s the best we’ve had in ages.

My biggest concern is the PP D at this point. Beyond Greene it is very murky. 

I’m curious: do you mean PK D or PP?

Cause if I’m not mistaken, Greene didn’t play much on the PP if at all, but obviously lead the league in shot blocking while being solid on the PK

Our PP should have Subban, Sevs and Vats and Butcher.

PK, on the other hand, is either we hope Smith doesn’t have a big learning curve or we hope the boys did a lot of film work. But knowing Nasraddine, he showed them films of some random KHL team from 15 years ago, thinking it was the NHL last year.

Edited by jagknife

Are we signing a goalie for the A too? I assume we're happy with Blacks and Cory, but we should have some sort of serviceable insurance policy - assuming Johnson isn't back down there? I saw Wedge signed with TB, 

PP 1 somewhere like 

Subban

Hall Hughes Palms

Simmonds

8 hours ago, '7' said:

I get that Lou definitely has made some mistakes, but I also think it's gotten to the point where those who don't like him or are still annoyed about the very rough end to his Devils tenure look for things to rip him about.

I really think this was more Lou not being sure about Lehner being a LONG term solution in net (hence only the two-year offer)...maybe it was a case of him simply preferring Varlamov as his longer-term solution.  Fair to keep in mind that it's not like Lehner got a firm commitment from anyone else either...he only got a one-year deal from the Blackhawks.  He's making much more money this year for sure, but he's right back to having to bet on himself, for a second straight season...which shows that no one else was fully convinced, even with the .930 save%.   

That doesn't mean that Lou's decision (strictly from a personnel standpoint) can't be scrutinized...if Varlamov isn't very good over the next four years, then you can definitely get on Lou for taking a risk on a goalie who's put up a .912 save% combined over the last four years (and been a bit all over the place in doing it)...admittedly, I'm not so sure what about Varlamov's resume stands out that makes Lou feel so comfortable giving him four years.  But I don't think this is purely a case of Lou being a hardballer...if Lou's offer of 2 years and $10 million is accurate, then Lehner wound up being the loser here (or at the very least, overestimated his demand around the league).

3 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Are we signing a goalie for the A too? I assume we're happy with Blacks and Cory, but we should have some sort of serviceable insurance policy - assuming Johnson isn't back down there? I saw Wedge signed with TB, 

PP 1 somewhere like 

Subban

Hall Hughes Palms

Simmonds

I think as of now our goalies in Bing are Evan Cormier and Gilles Senn, we didn't re-sign Lack (not yet, at least) and Johnson wasn't given a QO. Would like to see them bring in a 3rd string guy and think they will, would be too risky to have one of Mac or Cory go down and have to bring up Senn to fill in time.

Also I think using Jack in the slot on the PP is a bit of a waste of his abilities, he would be best on the halfwall so I'd rather have Hughes and Hall anchor their own units. What I would do for the powerplay:

PP1:
Subban
Hall - Nico - Palmieri
Simmonds

PP2:
Butcher
Hughes - Bratt - Severson
Zajac

PP2 is tough to nail down, because we don't have a definite net front guy after Simmonds outside of maybe Wood, who I'm not a fan of giving PP time.

I hope Shero is all over Vegas... We can do lot of coup there ! I saw a twitter about Gusev ... we can have our own taste of russian too... but even that, there is also some players like Reiley Smith ? Tuch ? Hell we can also take the last year of Clarkson contract with a roster player to "help them" 

Pierre on with Boomer and Gio right now - talking up John Hayden as a big physical guy, possibly on a line with Coleman and Wood. Didn't know anything about Hayden before we got him, but seems like that would be a feisty line.  

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

Pierre McGuire was on Boomer and Gio this morning. A lot of Ranger butt kissing (apparently Panarin is on the McDavid/Crosby level of breaking games open) but he did give a lot of props to the Devils and said that John Hayden might be an underrated pick up for us that is getting lost in the shuffle. I've noticed that none of us are including him on our line predictions but I wonder with his skill set if change of scenery helps him stick in the NHL. 

edit:NJDfan1711 beat me to it

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Pierre McGuire was on Boomer and Gio this morning. A lot of Ranger butt kissing (apparently Panarin is on the McDavid/Crosby level of breaking games open) but he did give a lot of props to the Devils and said that John Hayden might be an underrated pick up for us that is getting lost in the shuffle. I've noticed that none of us are including him on our line predictions but I wonder with his skill set if change of scenery helps him stick in the NHL. 

Pierre has never seen a bad hockey player in his life. A turd could put on skates and the man would find something positive to say about it's hockey instincts and pedigee along with how many goals it scored in midgets. Seriously he makes a career of talking up guys all the time- I'm sure you could find a clip of him hyping up Kurtis Gabriel as the next Lucic or something, so hard for me to get excited about his assessment of a player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get that Lou definitely has made some mistakes, but I also think it's gotten to the point where those who don't like him or are still annoyed about the very rough end to his Devils tenure look for things to rip him about.

I really think this was more Lou not being sure about Lehner being a LONG term solution in net (hence only the two-year offer)...maybe it was a case of him simply preferring Varlamov as his longer-term solution.  Fair to keep in mind that it's not like Lehner got a firm commitment from anyone else either...he only got a one-year deal from the Blackhawks.  He's making much more money this year for sure, but he's right back to having to bet on himself, for a second straight season...which shows that no one else was fully convinced, even with the .930 save%.   

That doesn't mean that Lou's decision (strictly from a personnel standpoint) can't be scrutinized...if Varlamov isn't very good over the next four years, then you can definitely get on Lou for taking a risk on a goalie who's put up a .912 save% combined over the last four years (and been a bit all over the place in doing it)...admittedly, I'm not so sure what about Varlamov's resume stands out that makes Lou feel so comfortable giving him four years.  But I don't think this is purely a case of Lou being a hardballer...if Lou's offer of 2 years and $10 million is accurate, then Lehner wound up being the loser here (or at the very least, overestimated his demand around the league).

I often defend Lou's approach because even though I don't agree with everything he does, I do understand that he has a certain philosophy and he sticks to it. Its very old school and doesn't really fit the modern day.

But one thing I've noticed is that he tends to get the best out of his players. A lot of the guys he loses for nothing (outside of Neids) don't have the same success so its not crazy to think that he doesn't see Lehner as long term. I'm not sure I see Varlamov as that either though. Greiss might be getting a lot of starts anyway

26 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

We literally said the same thing mere seconds apart.  Awesome lol. 

39 minutes ago, moustic said:

I hope Shero is all over Vegas... We can do lot of coup there ! I saw a twitter about Gusev ... we can have our own taste of russian too... but even that, there is also some players like Reiley Smith ? Tuch ? Hell we can also take the last year of Clarkson contract with a roster player to "help them" 

Tuch would be a nice add at RW.   23 year old 50ish point player at 4.75 for 7 more years.  That contract should age well.   

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Leaner battles with addiction, right? 

Im glad he’s turned his life around but not wanting to give long term deals for that reason is totally okay. Look at Darling. 

My uncle battles addiction. It doesn’t take much to flip a switch and rear it’s ugly head.

I think the main issue for him is that he's bi-polar.   There may have been an addiction in there as well.   

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I often defend Lou's approach because even though I don't agree with everything he does, I do understand that he has a certain philosophy and he sticks to it. Its very old school and doesn't really fit the modern day.

But one thing I've noticed is that he tends to get the best out of his players. A lot of the guys he loses for nothing (outside of Neids) don't have the same success so its not crazy to think that he doesn't see Lehner as long term. I'm not sure I see Varlamov as that either though. Greiss might be getting a lot of starts anyway

And Rafalski. He had some of his best years in Detroit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think the main issue for him is that he's bi-polar.   There may have been an addiction in there as well.   

Yep. It’s both. He talked about it at the NHL awards. Sad stuff. 

• Like 1