Devils Sign Simmonds, 1 year @ $5m

jagknife

11 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Well, we need a Rw and it is only one year. Expensive though.

He played like crap in Nashville too, if memory serves correctly.

Not a fan of the move.... hopefully something else is in the hopper...

Edited by jagknife

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Nice bodyguard for Jack. One year deal not bad

Just now, CommonDreads said:

I'm a fan of this, we have the space to spend and low commitment with 1 year. Either he bounces back and he's a great addition for our powerplay, or he's an okay 3rd liner and we can cut ties at the end of the year. Pretty low risk.

Both of these are absolutely fair points

TSN also said over the last 5 years, only Ovie and Stammer have more PPGs

I had a feeling he was going to be signed. Ray probably paid so much because he wanted to outbid everyone else who was offering multiyear deals. This is the most Simmonds has ever made, and he is definitely past his prime, so it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I was not able to watch Simmonds at all last season, but I've always thought he was an underrated player. It's possible that he declined tremendously over the last couple of seasons, but I think it's worth the risk. Hopefully he bounces back. I'm just glad it's no more than 1 year.

• Like 1

Just one year, not a sex-appeal kind of move by any stretch, but I can live with it.  Like others have noted, not like they're stuck with him beyond this season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I'm a fan of this, we have the space to spend and low commitment with 1 year. Either he bounces back and he's a great addition for our powerplay, or he's an okay 3rd liner and we can cut ties at the end of the year. Pretty low risk.

This is exactly how I'm looking at this.  

Seen on twitter so far that Chris Ryan has said that Hall really enjoyed playing with Simmonds at the ASG a few years ago. And TG reported that Subban and Simmonds were friends growing up around Toronto area. So there are some links to this as well. 

Maybe Jack Hughes once played a season on NHL 15 where he was Simmonds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Really hard to find fault with a 1 year deal, honestly the hardest part is having to re-train myself to not hate him from his time as a flyer. He'll be an instant upgrade for our PP in front of net and can provide some protection for the young guys.

• Like 1

Low risk (1 year) for a depth guy who has shown the ability to put the puck in the net. I like the move. It's not like this team is up against the salary cap. Other than Palmieri who else can be depended on?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No risk on a one-year deal when the Devils can't even come close to the cap.  He's not much anymore 5 on 5 but he busts his ass every shift and will help on the PP.

Gives us some much needed sandpaper as well.

• Like 2